Website is not setting Session cookie for asp.net_sessionid

SevDer

Hi,

I've done some coding in my web application however right now for an unknown
reason my asp.net 2.0 site is not setting asp.net_sessionid cookie and as a
result, I am losing the session data in each page refresh or redirect.

I really do not have any coding against how the session works.
And I have not changed any setting in IIS.

I even compared the 2 code(old and new) bases and didn't see anything funny
which will
cause this.

This truly drives me crazy right now.

Other notes: I've tried this on 3 different machines and it makes the same
behavior on all of them. (old code fine, new code bad)

But I want to repeat again, I am not doing anything related to actual
session

And a final note: After reviewing alot, I realized that before I use the
session object at least once, application does not set "asp.net_sessionid"
cookie.
When I set a dummy variable at least once, it works and sets
"asp.net_sessionid" cookie. However this is still a problem as setting works
after viewing the page for the first time.
As a result cookie is still not availble in the first load but valid
afterwards.

Can someone tell me why my asp.net 2.0 app is not setting this cookie by
default? Am I doing something wrong?

I have the following in my web.config
assemblies:
<add assembly="Microsoft.VisualBasic, Version=8.0.0.0,
Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B03F5F7F11D50A3A" />
<add assembly="System.DirectoryServices, Version=2.0.0.0,
Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B03F5F7F11D50A3A" />
<add assembly="System.Design, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral,
PublicKeyToken=B03F5F7F11D50A3A" />
<add assembly="System.Management, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral,
PublicKeyToken=B03F5F7F11D50A3A" />
<add assembly="Microsoft.ReportViewer.WebForms, Version=8.0.0.0,
Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B03F5F7F11D50A3A" />
<add assembly="Microsoft.ReportViewer.Common, Version=8.0.0.0,
Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B03F5F7F11D50A3A" />
<add assembly="ADODB, Version=7.0.3300.0, Culture=neutral,
PublicKeyToken=B03F5F7F11D50A3A"/>
<add assembly="Microsoft.ReportViewer.ProcessingObjectModel,
Version=8.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B03F5F7F11D50A3A"/>
<add assembly="System.Data.OracleClient, Version=2.0.0.0,
Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B77A5C561934E089"/>
<add assembly="System.Windows.Forms, Version=2.0.0.0,
Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B77A5C561934E089"/>
<add assembly="Microsoft.Build.Utilities, Version=2.0.0.0,
Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B03F5F7F11D50A3A"/>
<add assembly="Microsoft.Build.Framework, Version=2.0.0.0,
Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B03F5F7F11D50A3A"/>
http handler:
<add path="Reserved.ReportViewerWebControl.axd" verb="*"
type="Microsoft.Reporting.WebForms.HttpHandler,
Microsoft.ReportViewer.WebForms, Version=8.0.0.0, Culture=neutral,
PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a" validate="false" />

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi SevDer,

I've replied you in your former thread "Weird session lost and auto
web.config", is this thread also developing from that one?

Based on your problem description, the problem you met seems due to the
ASP.NET Session State's sessionID generate model. ASP.NET runtime will not
allocate a fixed sessionID until the first time there is any data be stored
into the SessionState collection. So if you haven't data stored in session,
you'll find the sessionID changes in each request to the web application, I
think this could also be the reason why you won't find a sessionid cookie.

Here is a ASP.NET session FAQ article that has explained this behavior:

#Understanding session state modes + FAQ
http://forums.asp.net/p/7504/7504.aspx

you can search for the following question title:

"Q: Why does the SessionID changes in every request?"

In addition, would you tell us some further info on your application logic
and why will you rely on the sessionID/cookie at very begining(even there
is no data in it)?Maybe we can look for some other means to workaround it.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

ications.

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi SevDer,

How are you doing? Have you got any progress on this issue?
Please feel free to post here if there is still anything we can help.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

SevDer

Hi Steven,

Just to clarify the issues I'm having.
I've solved the issue by setting a dummy session variable even though I am
not using it.

Now why do I need session when I don't directly use it?
Because I use a syncronized static hashtable where I access the active item
for the session throught the sessionid. My reason for this is because there
are threads working on active object in the hashtable for that session. This
is why I need the session eventhough I don't use it directly.

I hope I made it clear...
SevDer

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Thanks for your followup SevDer,

Now I've got your detailed problem scenario. Yes, I agree that make the
sessionID fixed is quite important in your design.

Thanks again for your posting!