Weight of horizontal rule

Sally Thompson

OK I give up. I've waded through the W3schools tutorials, and have
finally sorted out a simple style sheet and managed to link my web
pages to it. However, although I've set a colour (sorry, color) for
the horizontal rule, I cannot find anywhere to show me how to set the
weight of the lines to be thin. Is this possible?

Thanks.

Sid Ismail

:
: OK I give up. I've waded through the W3schools tutorials, and have
: finally sorted out a simple style sheet and managed to link my web
: pages to it. However, although I've set a colour (sorry, color) for
: the horizontal rule, I cannot find anywhere to show me how to set the
: weight of the lines to be thin. Is this possible?
:
: Thanks.

http://www.sovavsiti.cz/css/hr.html

Sid

Richard

Sally Thompson wrote:

OK I give up. I've waded through the W3schools tutorials, and have
finally sorted out a simple style sheet and managed to link my web
pages to it. However, although I've set a colour (sorry, color) for
the horizontal rule, I cannot find anywhere to show me how to set the
weight of the lines to be thin. Is this possible?

<hr size="10" color="blue">
no size is a default of "1".

Sally Thompson

:
: OK I give up. I've waded through the W3schools tutorials, and have
: finally sorted out a simple style sheet and managed to link my web
: pages to it. However, although I've set a colour (sorry, color) for
: the horizontal rule, I cannot find anywhere to show me how to set the
: weight of the lines to be thin. Is this possible?
:
: Thanks.

http://www.sovavsiti.cz/css/hr.html

Brilliant, Sid - that works a treat. Thank you so much! Now onto the
next lesson - learning all about divs.

Sally Thompson

Sally Thompson wrote:

<hr size="10" color="blue">
no size is a default of "1".

Well yes, Richard, but unfortunately that doesn't work in the style
sheet - I have followed Sid's link as you can now see, and that works:
hr {color: #00008B; height: 1px; }
for anyone else who wants to know.

Thanks anyway.

Richard

Well yes, Richard, but unfortunately that doesn't work in the style
sheet - I have followed Sid's link as you can now see, and that works:
hr {color: #00008B; height: 1px; }
for anyone else who wants to know.
Thanks anyway.

What I gave you was the html version. In my feeble humble opinion, <HR>
should not be in the style sheet.
After all, what can you give it besides height, length and color?

<hr style="height:1px; color:#00ff00;">
What can be simpler?

If you have an item which only has one or two defined items, then use inline
style.

rf

Richard said:
What I gave you was the html version. In my feeble humble opinion, <HR>
should not be in the style sheet.
After all, what can you give it besides height, length and color?

<hr style="height:1px; color:#00ff00;">
What can be simpler?

If you have an item which only has one or two defined items, then use inline
style.

It has obviously not occured to what the major use of CSS in an external
file is. It is to seperate the presentational issues out of the HTML files
to *one single place*. Change one line of CSS and every horizontal rule in
the entire site changes. I'll just bet this is what Sally had in mind when
she asked her question.

With your thinking Sally would have to wade through how many pages and
change every single <hr> element, and she would, of course, miss a few.

Cheers
Ricahrd.

Richard

rf wrote:

It has obviously not occured to what the major use of CSS in an
external
file is. It is to seperate the presentational issues out of the HTML
files
to *one single place*. Change one line of CSS and every horizontal
rule in
the entire site changes. I'll just bet this is what Sally had in mind
when
she asked her question.
With your thinking Sally would have to wade through how many pages and
change every single <hr> element, and she would, of course, miss a
few.
Cheers
Ricahrd.

In that case I wouldn't use <hr> but rather an image.
If I had more than a few hr's on a page, rethinking the design would be in
order.

Leif K-Brooks

Richard said:
If I had more than a few hr's on a page, rethinking the design would be in
order.

"Page" being the key word. A site may have thousands of pages, all of
which would have to be changed if your advice was followed.

Richard

Leif said:
Richard wrote:
"Page" being the key word. A site may have thousands of pages, all of
which would have to be changed if your advice was followed.

Even so, the <hr> tag has to be hand coded into the page(s).
If you're using the same layout for all of your pages, that's no big deal.
Using inline style, I can be more creative with every <hr>.
Using the full version, I'm stuck with having the same thing every time.
The way I see it, inline style is better for short definitions because the
program doesn't have to keep referencing the source as the source is right
there.
what if I wanted one <hr> to be red and the next one blue?
write two definitions for the same thing? I don't think so.
Which would you prefer?
hr.a1 { blah blah }
hr.b2 { blah blah }
or
<hr style="blah blah">

rf

Richard said:
Even so, the <hr> tag has to be hand coded into the page(s).

If you're using the same layout for all of your pages, that's no big deal.
Using inline style, I can be more creative with every <hr>.

Using the full version, I'm stuck with having the same thing every time.
The way I see it, inline style is better for short definitions because the
program

What program? What on our bloody earth are you talking about?
doesn't have to keep referencing the source as the source is right
there.

No bloody idea what this bit means.
what if I wanted one <hr> to be red and the next one blue?
write two definitions for the same thing?

Yes, that is how this is done. What would you do? write one definition and
magically make a second one that is different?
I don't think so.
Which would you prefer?
hr.a1 { blah blah }
hr.b2 { blah blah }
or
<hr style="blah blah">

As usual you are talking out of your arse and all I can see is hot air.

Cheers
Richard.

rf

Richard said:
rf wrote:
In that case I wouldn't use <hr> but rather an image.

Just as I thought. You don't understand even simple HTML so you resort to
using kludges like images.

And how are you going to control the width of that image? CSS? I'll bet not.
You will make that image 780 pixels wide by 2 high and destroy any chance at
all of the page being liquid.

Cheers
Richard.

Sid Ismail

: What I gave you was the html version. In my feeble humble opinion, <HR>
: should not be in the style sheet.
: After all, what can you give it besides height, length and color?

That's all they need.

Sid

Sid Ismail

: In that case I wouldn't use <hr> but rather an image.

Oh no. And add to the download time.. ???

Sid

Sally Thompson

It has obviously not occured to what the major use of CSS in an external
file is. It is to seperate the presentational issues out of the HTML files
to *one single place*. Change one line of CSS and every horizontal rule in
the entire site changes. I'll just bet this is what Sally had in mind when
she asked her question.

With your thinking Sally would have to wade through how many pages and
change every single <hr> element, and she would, of course, miss a few.

You got it! Having just learnt the value of style sheets, I'm not
about to go back to changing each page. Thanks.

Sally Thompson

Even so, the <hr> tag has to be hand coded into the page(s).
If you're using the same layout for all of your pages, that's no big deal.
Using inline style, I can be more creative with every <hr>.
Using the full version, I'm stuck with having the same thing every time.
The way I see it, inline style is better for short definitions because the
program doesn't have to keep referencing the source as the source is right
there.
what if I wanted one <hr> to be red and the next one blue?
write two definitions for the same thing? I don't think so.
Which would you prefer?
hr.a1 { blah blah }
hr.b2 { blah blah }
or
<hr style="blah blah">

Well, Richard, I have to say that a site with many different coloured
rules would be rather busy to me from the design point of view. I
have a simple design with a (thin!) <hr> on every page, plus one or
two others where occasionally needed. It has been far far simpler for
me to write this in my stylesheet than to go through every page
changing them. Besides, one of the beauties of the style sheet I have
found is that I can make one change and see the effect instantly on
every page. In fact, I keep a sample stylesheet and sample related
html page just for this purpose.

<praise>By the way, I have to say to you all (since I've crawled out
of the lurking woodwork) that I have had so much help from all the
questions and answers here, and the many links which I've been
following. This is the first time I've needed to actually ask
anything myself - but all your collective help to others has been
tremendous and much appreciated (I'm sure not just by me).</praise>

informant

Leif K-Brooks said:
"Page" being the key word. A site may have thousands of pages, all of
which would have to be changed if your advice was followed.

There *is* a real reason that is a valid
group, you know.

informant

Richard said:
rf wrote:

In that case I wouldn't use <hr> but rather an image.
If I had more than a few hr's on a page, rethinking the design would be in
order.

Fucking hell, Bullis. Will the K00k remain SILENT!!11

informant

Sally Thompson said:
Well yes, Richard, but unfortunately that doesn't work in the style
sheet -

What a surprise that St00pid "Richard" Bullis doesn't have a clue what he's
talking about.

I have followed Sid's link as you can now see, and that works:
hr {color: #00008B; height: 1px; }
for anyone else who wants to know.

Thanks anyway.

No thanks to St00pid.