What am I doing wrong? Flash / IE

Marco Bakker

Steve Pugh said:
I don't think so, but I did. ;-)

Nope. The error is effectively the same as a broken link and hence
nothing to do with the validator.

The validator will complain about the <embed> element of course, but
removing that won't help unless the OP also changes his <object>
element to something more standard.

http://www.alistapart.com/articles/flashsatay/
and
http://ln.hixie.ch/?start=1081798064&count=1
are two different ways of feeding standards compliant <object>s to
decent browsers and MS compliant <object>s to MSIE. Only browsers that
don't understand either <object> syntax (for example Netscape 4 and
lower which only understand <embed>) miss out.

I like the solutions, though it is a pity I can't use them for a
particular intro I made last week.

My design depends on a transparent flash movie and the

<param name="wmode" value="transparent" />

is not working using those methods. I did a few tests (IE5.2.3, Camino,
Firefox, Opera 7.52 & Safari, all on Mac), only the Gecko's showed the
movie with a transparent background.

valid html:
http://www.vanderrijstadvies.nl/test.html

invalid html:
http://www.vanderrijstadvies.nl/

Toby A Inkster

Marco said:
My design depends on a transparent flash movie and the

<param name="wmode" value="transparent" />

is not working using those methods. I did a few tests (IE5.2.3, Camino,
Firefox, Opera 7.52 & Safari, all on Mac), only the Gecko's showed the
movie with a transparent background.

Only Gecko and IE/win support the "wmode" parameter for Flash objects.

Marco Bakker

Toby A Inkster said:
Only Gecko and IE/win support the "wmode" parameter for Flash objects.

Though that covers a large portion of the audience, I don't want to
punish the brave people using Opera or Safari, nor the people who depend
for some reason on IE/Mac with a bad looking animation.

Best option I guess is to advise the client to get rid of it completely
because since the intro movie was introduced in the site, the Google
ranking suffered badly; from place 3 to place 30 when Googling for the
company name.

Webcastmaker

Though that covers a large portion of the audience, I don't want to
punish the brave people using Opera or Safari, nor the people who depend
for some reason on IE/Mac with a bad looking animation.
Best option I guess is to advise the client to get rid of it completely
because since the intro movie was introduced in the site, the Google
ranking suffered badly; from place 3 to place 30 when Googling for the
company name.

Probably a good idea, but if they are determined to have it, try
convincing them to have normal links at the bottom of the flash intro
page. That may help your placement again. (If they are really anal
and don't want that, make the link text the same color as the
background.)

Steve Pugh

Webcastmaker said:
Probably a good idea, but if they are determined to have it, try
convincing them to have normal links at the bottom of the flash intro
page. That may help your placement again.

Though of course the placement will be for the real home page not the
movie page.
(If they are really anal
and don't want that, make the link text the same color as the
background.)

Which search engines class as spam and penalise. The question is
whether search engines have yet bothered to check stylesheets for
this. Last time I checked they hadn't so setting the same colours via
CSS rather than HTML may be safe - for now.

Steve

Webcastmaker

Which search engines class as spam and penalise. The question is
whether search engines have yet bothered to check stylesheets for
this. Last time I checked they hadn't so setting the same colours via
CSS rather than HTML may be safe - for now.

good point

Jersey

<snip>

- - He'll spend the idle time reflecting upon his pompous writings to this
group, and finally come to realize he's *not*, "God's Gift to HTML"
afterall?

- - He'll understand that the newbies who post here don't really *care* if
their pages "validate"?

- - He'll understand that most of the world doesn't give a rat's ass if
their stupid "home page" doesn't render properly in Opera, Mozilla, or any
other obscure browser that less than 20% of the world's population uses on a
regular basis?

Never happen.

:)