What do you think?

David Dorward

Mike said:
Could you tell me what you think of www.nowaysylent.co.uk please? Just
general ideas, constructive criticism, what you do and don't like etc.

Bad points:

* colour scheme
* hard to read images containg text
* centred text
* lack of Capital Letters
* Falls apart when the font size is increased
* Fixed width
* Abuses tables for layout
* <title>Untitled Normal Page</title> speaks for itself
* Invalid HTML
* Invalid CSS
* Distinct lack of alt text
* Uses frames
* Tiny font size
* Menu links in alphabetical rather then categorical order
* Menu images which aren't links look the same as those which are

Usually I can find something good to say about a site, although sometimes I
have to try really really hard. In this case, I can't find anything. Sorry.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Quoth the raven named Mike Terry:
Hey,

Could you tell me what you think of www.nowaysylent.co.uk please? Just
general ideas, constructive criticism, what you do and don't like etc.

Please don't multi-post. Seen also in alt.html.critique where it belongs.

Karl Groves

Mike Terry said:
Hey,

Could you tell me what you think of www.nowaysylent.co.uk please? Just
general ideas, constructive criticism, what you do and don't like etc.

Thanks!

Richard

" <meta name="GENERATOR" content="Microsoft FrontPage Express 2.0"> "
Says just about all anyone needs to say.

-Karl

Hywel

Hey,

Could you tell me what you think of www.nowaysylent.co.uk please? Just
general ideas, constructive criticism, what you do and don't like etc.

My eyes! My eyes!

It's "tattoos" not "tatoos". The rest of the spelling on the site is
also terrible, and someone's randomly using apostrophes.

The photography is bad. Look at the red-eye on these studs:
http://www.nowaysylent.co.uk/images/gallery4.jpg
http://www.nowaysylent.co.uk/images/gallery5.jpg

"noway sylent would be nothing without their fans". I suspect they'll
be very little with them both, too. Content such as this is cliched and
boring.

NWS? Why? That's not an abbreviation of "Noway Silent", is it!?

I guess you're targeting this at the teenage girl market? Another crap
boy band to drown out real musical talent in the UK. Hardly surprising
that the record industry is in "crisis". I mean, the same management
that handled Brotherhood of Man - how successful will they be, I wonder?
Wasn't this a four-piece to start with? I guess Number 4 saw sense and
quit. The rest of them will be gone by August. Sorry Antony, you'll
soon be globally idle, rather than a global idol.

Andy Dingley

Could you tell me what you think of www.nowaysylent.co.uk please? Just
general ideas, constructive criticism, what you do and don't like etc.

Would make a nice tutorial on how to get nearly every technical aspect
of web design wrong.

Graphically it's not bad. It _looks_ OK. Reworked with some decent
HTML coding and it would be fine.

Duende

While sitting in a puddle Karl Groves scribbled in the mud:
" <meta name="GENERATOR" content="Microsoft FrontPage Express 2.0"> "
Says just about all anyone needs to say.

Yummy

Whitecrest

miketerry73 said:
Could you tell me what you think of www.nowaysylent.co.uk please? Just
general ideas, constructive criticism, what you do and don't like etc.

Design/layout:
It looks good for band site. I would probably lose the frames there is
no need for them. I like the images in the footer, and I love the font
(consider it stolen).

Technical:
PU. Take Frontapge, and head to the editor then learn what the tags do,
then make it right (it is simpler than you think, hell we all did it).
If you need help with the tags, you are in the right place. You also
might want to checkout html-kit (free) or topstyle (about $70 I think)
they both have type ahead help that will help you with the tags and
attributes while you learn them.

SpaceGirl

Mike Terry said:
Hey,

Could you tell me what you think of www.nowaysylent.co.uk please? Just
general ideas, constructive criticism, what you do and don't like etc.

Thanks!

Richard

That's a really bad site on a lot of levels. Really take a step back and
think about what you are doing; look at other band sites - there are some
astoundingly *good* band sites out there just done by fans for free. Do a
Google, or check out the links from label sites such as www.interscope.com.

We have been working with Universal for about 6 months now with one of their
artists after they approached us thanks to a "free" fansite we made in 2002.
I can give you some links to some fun stuff if you mail me off-list.

Duende

While sitting in a puddle Hywel scribbled in the mud:
Sorry, I meant to think that quietly to myself. Eek.

Thats ok. I'm just out trolling today. I have to upload about 300mb and the
ftp isn't working. Gives me time to get into trouble.

Mitja

Whitecrest said:
Design/layout:
It looks good for band site. I would probably lose the frames there is
no need for them. I like the images in the footer, and I love the font
(consider it stolen).

Nothing to steal... I had it on my comp a year or so ago, so I guess it is
free (wouldn't get it otherwise). I like it, too, but no matter how hard I
think I can't remember the name :(

For OP:
Maybe it would be a Good Idea to use microsoft's font-embedding solution. I
guess it only works with IEs, but you could define a secondary font face so
it would degrade nicely. This would gain you smaller size (no pics) and
greater readability for impaired users and stuff like lynx (though, to be
honest, I presonally don't worry about them too much)

Whitecrest

Nothing to steal... I had it on my comp a year or so ago, so I guess it is
free (wouldn't get it otherwise). I like it, too, but no matter how hard I
think I can't remember the name :(

I liked the concept of one font over other. I can build my own