What IDE for Java do you use?

Fredy

really depends on what kind of app u want to develop, i use eclipse for
j2ee and it's ok

Andrey Kuznetsov

I am looking 4 a good IDE for Java. Do you have any one to recommend?
Thx a lot.
my favorite is Intellij IDEA.
It is not cheap/free, but it was the best investition of my life!

brian.vanheesch

I just moved from JBuilder to Eclipse 312. Takes some time to get used
to the new keyboard shortcuts & lingo. Still not use to a single row
of tabs in the editor pane. CTRL-SHIFT-E just doesn't cut it for me. I
like to see all the files open & which have been modified (especially
for bulk code changes)

Any suggestions on Java Swing development plug-ins to use with Eclipse
(open-source/freeware prefered, but not required).

Roedy Green

hi all. my favorite is .... "eclipse". and ... "jcreator" is very fast.
I am using eclipse. My main complaints are:

1. slow start up time.

2. refuses to reformat until I have all the syntax errors corrected.
But I need the reformatting to help me find the errors..

3. Error messages are extremely confusing. Pretty well all they do is
point you to roughly where the problem is. The actual wordings are
deliberately as obscure as possible.

Nice things:

1. global rename. change a class or method name, and everything in the
universe is fixed not just the Java source, not just the project you
are working on. All the clients get fixed too. It is so quick you
have no excuse not to implement a better or more consistent name if
you can think of it.

2. organise imports. Adds missing imports, tosses unnecessary ones.

3. reorder, add definition of variables and methods right beside
where I am working and then sort it later to where it belongs,

4. the instant recompile catches errors right away. It takes some
getting use to, but it is sort of like a typing tutor to teach you to
get it right first time with the instant feedback.

5. tree structured navigation makes it much easier to find anything
across a sea of projects.

Roedy Green

I just moved from JBuilder to Eclipse 312. Takes some time to get used
to the new keyboard shortcuts & lingo. Still not use to a single row
of tabs in the editor pane. CTRL-SHIFT-E just doesn't cut it for me. I
like to see all the files open & which have been modified (especially
for bulk code changes)
F3 key not being repeat find was a goofy thing to do. That is almost
universal.

Alan Krueger

Roedy said:
F3 key not being repeat find was a goofy thing to do. That is almost
universal.

Not sure why they did it. I have become accustomed to being able to
select some text, hit CTRL-K and see the next occurrence of that text
using the last find options used.

Robert M. Gary

I use IntelliJ at my day job and Eclipse when consulting privately.
I've also use JDeveloper and JBuilder, both of which were inusably slow
at the time but may be better)..

IntelliJ PRO: Easier to use than Eclipse, works out of the box,
includes wizards to create beans, servlets, web projects, etc. You
almost never have to hand modify a configuration XML file (like
web.xml). Lots of plug-ins available.
IntelliJ CON: Costs money (around $300 as I recall)

Eclipse PRO: Its free. There are an insane number of add on plug-ins
available.
Eclipse CON: The plug-ins are very buyer-beware, many don't work well
and can be difficult to get them to play together. There are some
excellent web design plug-ins (I use one that includes Tomcat
integration) but no wizards for web development. Setting up Eclipse to
work with all the plug-ins you want will require an investment in time.

-Robert

hilz

Isend said:
I am looking 4 a good IDE for Java. Do you have any one to recommend?
Thx a lot.
Netbeans www.netbeans.org
The new NB 5.0 will be released very very soon (in a week or so)
now there is the NB 5.0 RC2 (release candidate 2) which is pretty much
production quality.

It has great GUI builder and so many features are available out-of-the
-box (unlike eclipse where you will have to go plugin-hunting to make it
usable).
I also find NB more intuitive and easier to use than eclipse.

check it out... http://www.netbeans.org

Joe Attardi

Isend said:
I am looking 4 a good IDE for Java. Do you have any one to recommend?
Thx a lot.

I usually use a plain text editor (jEdit). I find that, when I use
IDEs, I get lazy and start to rely on things like code completion/popup
and such instead of remembering for myself.

Also, c'mon. It only takes two additional keystrokes to type "for"
instead of "4"!

Guest

Isend said:
I am looking 4 a good IDE for Java. Do you have any one to recommend?
Thx a lot.
I have used SunONE Studio v6 & v7 which are based on NetBEans
foundations. The only drawback I have seen is that its too much memory
consuming & also comes with SunONE App server by default. Otherwise it
has its own advantages against the other IDEs in the market. Give it a try.

Lion-O

I am looking 4 a good IDE for Java. Do you have any one to recommend?

I've tried a lot of them myself and ended up with Netbeans. Not too much
overhead (the feeling that the IDE is doing all the work) but also enough tools
and gadgets to make it usable and easily expandable (recent example being the
addidion of javahelp). I'd recommend going over to
http://www.apl.jhu.edu/~hall/java/IDEs.html since your milage and personal
taste may vary.

Having said that, and depending on what you're going to use this for, I'd also
like to advice you not to rule out the plain text editor perse. After having
spend a few evenings behind Netbeans makes starting a program typing out the
common stuff like "public static void main( String[] args) { ... }" tedious but
its still part of the program. Sometimes IDE's can make you lazy and that is
not always good or desireable, IMO at least.

Bonney Armstrong

I used NetBeans, and it was OK, but I'm using WSAD (WebSphere Studio
Application Developer) now, which is based on Eclipse, and I really
like it. What I like about it so much is one of the Java views; you
bring up the file in the editor and the navigation pops open on the
side showing the folder in which the file lives. I like the search
features, especially the class file locator. I don't know what I'd do
without this tool. It's got quite a learning curve, but after that it's
worth it. It handles the labyrinthine Java structure in a way that's
not confusing.

Boris Gorjan

Roedy said:
F3 key not being repeat find was a goofy thing to do. That is almost
universal.

Window->Preferences->General->Keys->View (Category: Edit, Command: Find
Next)->Edit->Key Sequence etc.

Guest

Bonney said:
I used NetBeans, and it was OK, but I'm using WSAD (WebSphere Studio
Application Developer) now, which is based on Eclipse, and I really
like it. What I like about it so much is one of the Java views; you
bring up the file in the editor and the navigation pops open on the
side showing the folder in which the file lives. I like the search
features, especially the class file locator. I don't know what I'd do
without this tool. It's got quite a learning curve, but after that it's
worth it. It handles the labyrinthine Java structure in a way that's
not confusing.

Hi...All,

I recently downloaded eclipse IDE with myeclipse web editor
(myeclipseide.com) . I did not see any views on it in this thread. So,
would be interested to what your thought are on
eclipse+myeclipse(struts, EJB....)

Roedy Green

Window->Preferences->General->Keys->View (Category: Edit, Command: Find
Next)->Edit->Key Sequence etc.

thank you. It now works with the exception you must dismiss the find
dialog box first.