what is apache axis ?

gk

i know apache axis .

I have seen the manual how apache axis is integrated with Tomcat to
develope web service.

But i dont know what is apache axis ? confused with my question ?

ok .....
can i call apache axis a server ? ( i think no because we dont need to
start it )

can i call apache axis an web application ? ( may be , because it has
web-inf,jsp, web.xml and looks like a typical web application folder)

Questions :

a) I am confused whats the designation i should give to Apache axis .
please tell me how do i rate apache axis ?

b) i found soap.jar can be used also to make web service....you can get
it here
http://mirror.olnevhost.net/pub/apache/ws/soap/version-2.3.1/

this is typically a JAR file which you need to include in your
classpath and try developing web service.

but its again a jakarta product ...right ?

so, does Jakarta professionals have developed 2 different ways to
develope web service ? one is Axian way(axis web application and
axis.jar) and another is using soap.jar ?

BUT WHY ? when the former to be used and when the other ?

I may not be understanding the purpose of these two products .....thats
why i am asking in order to develope web service what to use ?
downloading soap.jar and starting from scratch OR downloading axis
binary ?

please let me know the difference betweeb these two.

Thank you

Lew

gk said:
i know apache axis .

I have seen the manual how apache axis is integrated with Tomcat to
develope web service.

But i dont know what is apache axis ? confused with my question ?

Apache Axis is a toolkit for the development of SOAP-based Web services.

The project describes itself as:
.... an implementation of the SOAP ("Simple Object Access Protocol") submission
to W3C.
( http://ws.apache.org/axis/ )

The project also describes itself as a "SOAP stack".
( http://ws.apache.org/axis2/ )

Another useful word is that it is a "framework" for the development of
SOAP-based Web services.

In other words, Apache Axis comprises a suite of APIs and other artifacts to
assist the developer who wants to implement a SOAP-based Web-service application.
ok .....
can i call apache axis a server ? ( i think no because we dont need to
start it )

Apache Axis is not a server.
can i call apache axis an web application ? ( may be , because it has
web-inf,jsp, web.xml and looks like a typical web application folder)

Apache Axis includes a Web application with a few useful services, but that is
only part of the project.

I haven't used Axis2, but I have used Axis 1 extensively. Even though the
documentation talks mostly about adding your own functionality to the included
Axis Web app, it was feasible and very powerful to add Axis's functionality to
our Web apps. It meant that we had to get creative about placing certain JARs
in the app's lib/ folder, copy-and-paste from Axis's web.xml to ours, etc.

BTW, we also mixed in some of Sun's Web-services JARs with Axis's, such as the
JAXRPC libraries. It took creative thinking and careful experimentation.
Questions :

a) I am confused whats the designation i should give to Apache axis .
please tell me how do i rate apache axis ?

Call it a "project".
b) i found soap.jar can be used also to make web service....you can get
it here
http://mirror.olnevhost.net/pub/apache/ws/soap/version-2.3.1/

this is typically a JAR file which you need to include in your
classpath and try developing web service.

but its again a jakarta product ...right ?

so, does Jakarta professionals have developed 2 different ways to
develope web service ? one is Axian way(axis web application and
axis.jar) and another is using soap.jar ?

BUT WHY ? when the former to be used and when the other ?

It is not uncommon for there to be more than one Apache project covering
similar functionality (see Torque and JDO).

You pick whichever one fits the topology of your project better.
I may not be understanding the purpose of these two products .....thats
why i am asking in order to develope web service what to use ?
downloading soap.jar and starting from scratch OR downloading axis
binary ?

please let me know the difference betweeb these two.

I suggest you studiously review the documents for both projects.

- Lew