What is the best ASP.NET grid...

Chad

for ease of use, and for features such as resizable columns, edit in place,
horiz and vertical scrolling, heirarchy display, etc?

Craig Deelsnyder

for ease of use, and for features such as resizable columns, edit in
place,
horiz and vertical scrolling, heirarchy display, etc?

Are you considering 3rd party? If so, I'd avoid Infragistics, just in my
experience, seems to be popular choice, but it's too heavy and convoluted,
others may differ in opinion...

But really, if you're not looking for ultra-fancy, the built-in DataGrid
does all those things. Put it inside a DIV and it can scroll, in-place
editing is simple for anything but the most complex, etc. Hierarchies I
believe can be done with nested controls...plus it's free :) Just depends
on how much you want to plumb yourself...

Or were you asking about 2.0, where the GridView comes into play....

Just my 2 cents...

Chad

Thanks for the response.

Yes, I am considering 3rd party.

As far as in place scrolling, there seems to me to be limitations with using
a simple DIV approach. For example, to lock the header in place, you need to
place the header outside of the table and resort to fixed width columns and
you have to set the grid size and column size to a pixel width rather than a
percentage width. There also are problems when you try to include both
horiz and vertical scrolling at the same time (if you place the header row
outside of the grid, it stays in place when you horiz scroll, rather than
scrolling horiz with the data)

And client size resizing of columns isn't an option with the normal data
grid, unless you do it all yourself :-(

Heirarchies are free, and I've done them, but I am looking for something
with built-in client side capability for expanding a row to reveal a
sub-table.

I'm looking at Spread for Web Forms right now.

Guest

Well, here's my two cents as well; the Infragistics webgrid control is
unbelievable.

If you have no experience with it at all, it takes very little effort at all
to do what you want.

It is very true that the webrid has a LOT of powerful/unnecessary features
for simple tasks. However, if you spend a few hours playing with it, you
will see how much you have to have those features on your site. It does
script callbacks for you!!!!! You don't even have to write code for it. The
same is true for sorting, OutlookGroupBy hierarchies and editing.
--
Staff Consultant II
Enterprise Web Services

Future Business Model
Loan Origination Services
National City Mortgage

mallik

I've experience using Infragistics control suite. Yes they've a great Grid control.
I had to put decent amount of time & effort to make it work the right way. I think it has a big learning curve.

Prepare to spend atleast a week to find out all the nuts & bolts of the control.

HTH.

Guest

The Infragistics webgrid has support for fixed headers and footers during
vertical scrolling: a property called stationary margins

For a fixed column while scrolling horizontally, you can set fixed headers
and footers as well.

There is default access to both vertical and horizontal scrolling.

There is default control over dynamic resizing of column width and height,
moving columns and rows, numbering rows, expanding and hiding subtables......

blah, blah, blah
--
Staff Consultant II
Enterprise Web Services

Future Business Model
Loan Origination Services
National City Mortgage

Chad said:
[...]

Joined
Nov 15, 2012
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
best grid control

In my experience , obout grid is the best grid control. They give the best performance and its very easy to implement and use. it saved tons of my time in developing my applications. the price for enterprise license is much less than developer license of other vendors also obout gives 90 day trial when others give 30.