    Chad Guest

    for ease of use, and for features such as resizable columns, edit in place,
    horiz and vertical scrolling, heirarchy display, etc?

    Chad, Jul 6, 2005

  2. Are you considering 3rd party? If so, I'd avoid Infragistics, just in my
    experience, seems to be popular choice, but it's too heavy and convoluted,
    others may differ in opinion...

    But really, if you're not looking for ultra-fancy, the built-in DataGrid
    does all those things. Put it inside a DIV and it can scroll, in-place
    editing is simple for anything but the most complex, etc. Hierarchies I
    believe can be done with nested controls...plus it's free :) Just depends
    on how much you want to plumb yourself...

    Or were you asking about 2.0, where the GridView comes into play....

    Just my 2 cents...

    Craig Deelsnyder, Jul 6, 2005

  3. Chad

    Chad Guest

    Thanks for the response.

    Yes, I am considering 3rd party.

    As far as in place scrolling, there seems to me to be limitations with using
    a simple DIV approach. For example, to lock the header in place, you need to
    place the header outside of the table and resort to fixed width columns and
    you have to set the grid size and column size to a pixel width rather than a
    percentage width. There also are problems when you try to include both
    horiz and vertical scrolling at the same time (if you place the header row
    outside of the grid, it stays in place when you horiz scroll, rather than
    scrolling horiz with the data)

    And client size resizing of columns isn't an option with the normal data
    grid, unless you do it all yourself :-(

    Heirarchies are free, and I've done them, but I am looking for something
    with built-in client side capability for expanding a row to reveal a
    sub-table.

    I'm looking at Spread for Web Forms right now.

    Chad, Jul 6, 2005
  4. Chad

    Guest Guest

    Well, here's my two cents as well; the Infragistics webgrid control is
    unbelievable.

    If you have no experience with it at all, it takes very little effort at all
    to do what you want.

    It is very true that the webrid has a LOT of powerful/unnecessary features
    for simple tasks. However, if you spend a few hours playing with it, you
    will see how much you have to have those features on your site. It does
    script callbacks for you!!!!! You don't even have to write code for it. The
    same is true for sorting, OutlookGroupBy hierarchies and editing.
    --
    Staff Consultant II
    Enterprise Web Services

    Future Business Model
    Loan Origination Services
    National City Mortgage

    Guest, Jul 6, 2005
  5. Chad

    mallik Guest

    I've experience using Infragistics control suite. Yes they've a great Grid control.
    I had to put decent amount of time & effort to make it work the right way. I think it has a big learning curve.

    Prepare to spend atleast a week to find out all the nuts & bolts of the control.

    HTH.

    mallik, Jul 7, 2005
  6. Chad

    Guest Guest

    The Infragistics webgrid has support for fixed headers and footers during
    vertical scrolling: a property called stationary margins

    For a fixed column while scrolling horizontally, you can set fixed headers
    and footers as well.

    There is default access to both vertical and horizontal scrolling.

    There is default control over dynamic resizing of column width and height,
    moving columns and rows, numbering rows, expanding and hiding subtables......

    blah, blah, blah
    --
    Staff Consultant II
    Enterprise Web Services

    Future Business Model
    Loan Origination Services
    National City Mortgage

    Guest, Jul 7, 2005
  7. Chad

    davidc.net

    Joined:
    Nov 15, 2012
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    best grid control

    In my experience , obout grid is the best grid control. They give the best performance and its very easy to implement and use. it saved tons of my time in developing my applications. the price for enterprise license is much less than developer license of other vendors also obout gives 90 day trial when others give 30.

    davidc.net, Nov 15, 2012