What is the best SOAP service to use?

milkyway

Hello,

I'm a newbie who hopes they have come to the correct place.

Basically, I want to develop a web service for consumption by .NET
program (hopefully C#). The performance of the service would have to be
able to be very fast in response and be somewhat reliable (i.e. not
abending every 2 or 3 minutes).

I was going to try to develop the service in C (using gSOAP) but am now
leaning to JAVA (because a good amount of the code I have is already
written in this language). Is there a *significant* difference between
using a service written in C and one written in JAVA? Are there any
pitfalls that one has to look out for when using either JAVA or C?
Should I just keep the JAVA code or should I make an effort to convert
it C?

Any help, hints or advice would be *greatly* appreciated ;-)

Mark McIntyre

Hello,

I'm a newbie who hopes they have come to the correct place.

COMP.LANG.C is definitely the wrong place - C#, Java, and SOAP are
all waaaaay off topic. The C element might be topical, but CLC
discusses ISO standard C, and I suspect that SOAP will require
nonstandard extensions, networking etc.

A top tip: don't post to groups where you've not lurked or at least
read a day's messages, it can lead to flames when you post offtopic or
inappropriately.

CBFalconer

milkyway said:
I'm a newbie who hopes they have come to the correct place.

Basically, I want to develop a web service for consumption by .NET
program (hopefully C#). The performance of the service would have
to be able to be very fast in response and be somewhat reliable
(i.e. not abending every 2 or 3 minutes).

I was going to try to develop the service in C (using gSOAP) but
am now leaning to JAVA (because a good amount of the code I have
is already written in this language). Is there a *significant*
difference between using a service written in C and one written
in JAVA? Are there any pitfalls that one has to look out for when
using either JAVA or C? Should I just keep the JAVA code or should
I make an effort to convert it C?

Any help, hints or advice would be *greatly* appreciated ;-)

Once you mention C# and .NET the only possible newsgroup that could
be usefule is the microsoft one. You are off topic everywhere
else. By simply reading those newsgroups for a short time you
should have realized this and not have generated the monstrous
off-topic cross-post.

f'ups set.

Jack Klein

COMP.LANG.C is definitely the wrong place - C#, Java, and SOAP are
all waaaaay off topic. The C element might be topical, but CLC
discusses ISO standard C, and I suspect that SOAP will require
nonstandard extensions, networking etc.

I disagree. Especially in the early days, before software became Big
Business (tm), I worked with programmers who did allow themselves to
experience SOAP often enough. The result was pungent and unpleasant.

So to the OP, I'd suggest Dial.

CBFalconer

Mark said:
COMP.LANG.C is definitely the wrong place - C#, Java, and SOAP
are all waaaaay off topic. The C element might be topical, but
CLC discusses ISO standard C, and I suspect that SOAP will
require nonstandard extensions, networking etc.

A top tip: don't post to groups where you've not lurked or at
least read a day's messages, it can lead to flames when you
post offtopic or inappropriately.

Mark, why didn't you set followups? None of us need to hear
replies to this.

f'ups set.

Mark McIntyre

Mark, why didn't you set followups?

Because it annoys the tits off me when people do that. People ask a
question or make a comment, and then change the groups list because
they don't want anyone to be able to actually reply. It strikes me as
exceptionally rude. Either you've a comment or you don't, and if you
do, you should allow people to respond in a way which will get to you.
None of us need to hear replies to this.

Then kill the thread. Its much less typing. Thats what I'm doing right
after I've sent this.
f'ups set.

and reset as otherwise you'll never see my reply to your question. :)