what is the C++ Standard and compiler for Windows XP Users?

pachanga

I have Visual C++ .NET and C#.NET, but, I wanted to help out the C++
linux groups creating Windows Games, and mostly internet applications.
Where can I can download the right tool or notepad and compiler that
everyone usally uses in places like SourceForge ? is Visual C++ .NET
identical to C++ standard?

Raymond Martineau

http://www.slack.net/~shiva/welcome.txt

Where can I can download the right tool or notepad and compiler that
everyone usally uses in places like SourceForge ? is Visual C++ .NET
identical to C++ standard?

Visual C++ is a compiler for the C++ language. As long as the code in
question does not require third-party libraries or non-standard extensions,
it will compile under any operating system.

The C++ standard is there to ensure that code can be used on the different
C++ compilers.

EventHelix.com

Unlike earlier versions of Visual Studio, Visual Studio .NET 2003 C++
compiler
is very good at standard compliance.

You should watch out for managed extensions etc. when compiling. I
believe
there is a compiler switch setting that will allow only ANSI compliant
code.

Deepa

Ioannis Vranos

pachanga said:
I have Visual C++ .NET and C#.NET, but, I wanted to help out the C++
linux groups creating Windows Games,

I am not sure I understood what you want to do...

and mostly internet applications.

Then you need to learn some platform-specific library. If you know
enough C++, and if you want to do Windows programming and since you have
VC++ .NET, I suggest

"Visual C++ .NET How To Program" by Deitel.

http://vig.prenhall.com/catalog/academic/product/0,1144,0134373774,00.html

It is very good, it covers even multithreading.

However if you can wait, I suggest you wait for VC++ 2005 and the new
C++/CLI standard.

That said, the transition path of VC++ 2002/2003 to VC++ 2005 is
relatively small, that is the API remains the same, only the system
keywords change.

Where can I can download the right tool or notepad and compiler that
everyone usally uses in places like SourceForge ? is Visual C++ .NET
identical to C++ standard?

VC++ is highly C++ standard compliant if this is what you mean.

Tom Widmer

pachanga said:
I have Visual C++ .NET and C#.NET, but, I wanted to help out the C++
linux groups creating Windows Games, and mostly internet applications.
Where can I can download the right tool or notepad and compiler that
everyone usally uses in places like SourceForge ? is Visual C++ .NET
identical to C++ standard?

VC++ 2003 is close to the C++ standard. An alternative is GCC
(gcc.gnu.org), which is even closer to the standard for language
support, but slightly less close for library support. For Windows GCC,
you need MinGW (www.mingw.org).

Tom