what's the best environment to exercise Perl?

Sherm Pendley

Alont said:
maybe all people here are working on linux?

No, I use a Mac.
hehe, I use EditPlus to write perl and then save as a *.pl file,
then I open the *.pl file in Folder Window, WINDOWS automatically
start perl.exe to execute it, but when the end of the execution,
perl.exe automatically close

That's what happens by default if you run the .pl file by
double-clicking on it. What you want to do instead is open up a command
shell - or "DOS box", or "Command Prompt" or whatever Windows is calling
that these days - and run your app with the command "perl foo.pl". That
way the window won't close when your script is done.

sherm--

A. Sinan Unur

Alont said:
at 19 Aug 2004 19:27:12 GMT
"A. Sinan Unur" <[email protected]>×íõ¸õ¸µÄÄØ૵À:--
you mean that I must change my Region to GMT time?

Who said anything about GMT time? Out your replies below the content to
which you are replying. And read the posting guidelines. Please.
but I'm living in china, this isn't my fault, isn't? ....
Your fault as a Government is My failure as a citizen

According to your sig, it is.

While you are at it, please use the proper sig separator (dash dash
space) so I don't have to manually edit out your signature every time I
respond.

A. Sinan Unur

Alont said:
at Thu, 19 Aug 2004 17:41:10 +0100
maybe all people here are working on linux?

No. For me, it is 80% Windows XP and 20% FreeBSD.

What is so funny?
I use EditPlus to write perl and then save as a *.pl file,
then I open the *.pl file in Folder Window, WINDOWS automatically
start perl.exe to execute it, but when the end of the execution,
perl.exe automatically close --- so I can't see the result of the
execution, my problem is: how to stay the perl.exe on the end of
execution?

Why don't you learn how to use the software of your choice (BTW, did you
pay the registration fee?) I just downloaded EditPlus out of curiosity.
It took me 10 seconds to configure it so that I could run the current
file using perl and capture output within the editor. No need for
Explorer or shell windows.

Why don't you learn how to use your favorite editor?

Now, let's hope I can uninstall this thing...

Joe Smith

Alont said:
stop top posting? I have checked my date setting, it's right,
maybe Beijing time= GMT + 8 hour?

Please stop "top posting"!!

That means, do not put your text above what you're quoting.
You should do like what I have done it this reply; my new
text is below your text, not above.
-Joe

P.S. I was going to complain about posting in HTML, but it appears
that "Content-Type: text/plain; charset=GB2312" is causing Mozilla
to render it in an awfully large Courier font.

Tassilo v. Parseval

Also sprach Abigail:
Alont ([email protected]) wrote on MMMMVII September MCMXCIII in
<URL:,, I can't log on this site, My ISP block it,

Then get a better ISP. And don't toppost.

Hmmh, the OP is in China so maybe this host is blocked altogether (for
reasons that are simply beyond me).

Tassilo

Alont

not funny, just a smile, I shouldn't smile? Oh!

at 20 Aug 2004 06:52:41 GMT
A. Sinan Unur said:
What is so funny?

Your fault as a Government is My failure as a citizen

Alont

I have tried, but faild, could you give me your setting about perl
compile in Editplus?my settings:
Menu text: Perl compiler
Command: F:\Perl\bin\Perl.exe
Argument: $(CurSel)
initial directory: F:\Perl\bin

I selected these script and then click "Perl compiler" menu:
#!/usr/bin/perl
print 54;

but the result:
---------- Perl compiler ----------
Can't open perl script "#!/usr/bin/perl
": No such file or directory
Normal Termination
Output completed (0 sec consumed).

at 20 Aug 2004 06:52:41 GMT
A. Sinan Unur said:
Why don't you learn how to use the software of your choice (BTW, did you
pay the registration fee?) I just downloaded EditPlus out of curiosity.
It took me 10 seconds to configure it so that I could run the current
file using perl and capture output within the editor. No need for
Explorer or shell windows.

Why don't you learn how to use your favorite editor?

Now, let's hope I can uninstall this thing...

Your fault as a Government is My failure as a citizen

Alont

could you help me how to set cursor automatically stay below quoting?
I use Agent, this software's default setting is that cursor
automatically stay on the top of quoting.
I asked a man who knows the history of Usenet, He said that reply in
top or bottom is not a rule people must obey, that just a custom of
NNTP client, I use Forte Agent1.8, and you use Mozilla/5.0 that's why
you reply in bottom and I wrote in top, you think this also my fault?

at Fri, 20 Aug 2004 07:04:25 GMT
Joe Smith said:
Please stop "top posting"!!

That means, do not put your text above what you're quoting.
You should do like what I have done it this reply; my new
text is below your text, not above.
-Joe

P.S. I was going to complain about posting in HTML, but it appears
that "Content-Type: text/plain; charset=GB2312" is causing Mozilla
to render it in an awfully large Courier font.

Your fault as a Government is My failure as a citizen

Peter Hickman

Alont said:
thank you, but I'm working on Windows xp

at 19 Aug 2004 17:16:27 +0200
(e-mail address removed)×íõ¸õ¸µÄÄØ૵À:--

emacs is available in windows XP, I am running windows XP as we speak.

Alont

the reason that I reply on top is that My client is Forte Agent1.8, it
automatically stay cursor on the top, if I change the cursor every
post, I'll be crazy! and Agent haven't a way to set cursor
automatically move to bottom, I find much people use Mozila here, but
I only like Forte Agent, I should change my favorite tool? Oh, don't
let me do that...

at Fri, 20 Aug 2004 01:42:09 -0400
Sherm Pendley said:
No, top-posting is when you put your reply at the top of your message.
Most people here prefer it to appear below the text you're replying to,
like this one.

sherm--

Your fault as a Government is My failure as a citizen

Tassilo v. Parseval

Also sprach Alont:
could you help me how to set cursor automatically stay below quoting?
I use Agent, this software's default setting is that cursor
automatically stay on the top of quoting.

How much work can it be to hit PGDN a couple of times? Also, don't ask
to be spoon-fed. The configuration of your news client is your affair
and not that of this group.
I asked a man who knows the history of Usenet, He said that reply in
top or bottom is not a rule people must obey, that just a custom of
NNTP client, I use Forte Agent1.8, and you use Mozilla/5.0 that's why
you reply in bottom and I wrote in top, you think this also my fault?

This guy is wrong (apparently he doesn't know the history of
comp.lang.perl.misc). Avoiding top-posts is a rule that you have to obey
in this group, or else people will start to ignore you after a while.

Other than that it has nothing whatsoever to do with the client you are
using. You are expected to trim down the quoted material to the stuff
you are replying to anyway. That means you start with your cursor on top
of the posting, run down the quoted material line-wise, delete lines you
are not going to comment on and otherwise insert your reply below the
lines that you keep.

Tassilo

Alont

this is not a problem about guidelines, this is a problem about NNTP
client, your tool User-Agent: Xnews/5.04.25, it can automatically move
cursor to the bottom, but my Forte Agent can't,

at 20 Aug 2004 06:34:11 GMT

Abhinav

Note: Comments here addressed to the OP :)
Also sprach Alont:

How much work can it be to hit PGDN a couple of times? Also, don't ask
to be spoon-fed. The configuration of your news client is your affair
and not that of this group.

In addition (ad I have mentioned elsethread) Cntrl-End dose it irrespective
of the length of the post.
This guy is wrong (apparently he doesn't know the history of
comp.lang.perl.misc). Avoiding top-posts is a rule that you have to obey
in this group, or else people will start to ignore you after a while.

In addition, please check the following link for more details :

http://www.4qd.org/philos/Netiquette.html#toppost

[Snip]

Abhinav

Abhinav

Alont said:
this is not a problem about guidelines, this is a problem about NNTP
client, your tool User-Agent: Xnews/5.04.25, it can automatically move
cursor to the bottom, but my Forte Agent can't,

It *can* . I use it sometimes. (Even though I am not using it now).

Alont

what's OP? I though CIS Server come here

at Fri, 20 Aug 2004 09:34:15 +0200
"Tassilo v. Parseval"

Zebee Johnstone

In comp.lang.perl.misc on Fri, 20 Aug 2004 16:08:26 +0800
Alont said:
the reason that I reply on top is that My client is Forte Agent1.8, it
automatically stay cursor on the top, if I change the cursor every
post, I'll be crazy! and Agent haven't a way to set cursor

Your choice - a bit of work on your part and people help you, or no work
on your part and people don't help you.

No one owes you help. You are hoping people will give you their time
and effort, without reward.

If you are lazy, then you will make them think "This person is not worth
helping".

Zebee

Peter Hickman

Alont said:
what's OP? I though CIS Server come here

at Fri, 20 Aug 2004 09:34:15 +0200
"Tassilo v. Parseval"

OP is newsgroup talk for 'original poster' of this message thread, in this case you.

Abhinav

Alont said:
what's OP? I though CIS Server come here

OP = Original Poster (You in this case).

Please *do* consider using the arrow keys until such time as you are able
to configure your news reader.

[SNIP]