what's the best environment to exercise Perl?

Alont

Abhinav said:
Alont said:
what's OP? I though CIS Server come here

OP = Original Poster (You in this case).

Please *do* consider using the arrow keys until such time as you are able
to configure your news reader.

[SNIP]
Forte Agent is impossible to "configure", I asked Forte, but I don't
like Mozilla, that's a stupid client(just I think), I must change My
favorite tool? Oh, only "comp.lang.perl.misc" let me do this...

Abhinav

Alont wrote:

[SNIP]
Please *do* consider using the arrow keys until such time as you are able
to configure your news reader.

[SNIP]

Forte Agent is impossible to "configure", I asked Forte, but I don't
like Mozilla, that's a stupid client(just I think), I must change My
favorite tool?

No need to change your favourite tool. Even if if does not allow you to go
to the end of the post, it will not matter much. This is because you will
anyway have to navigate through the post, snipping pieces and replying to
specific parts. Whether you do it from the bottom to up, or top to bottom,
doesn't matter much.

In fact, think of it this way: You will anyway read the message from TOP to
BOTTOM. If your cursor is at the TOP, it will be easier to read through it.
If it is at the Bottom, you will need to go to the TOP, and then read
through it :) .

Nice to see a well formed post with snipped info and signature in place. :)

Regards

Alont

Zebee Johnstone said:
Your choice - a bit of work on your part and people help you, or no work
on your part and people don't help you.

No one owes you help. You are hoping people will give you their time
and effort, without reward.

My heart isn't so ugly, I think this problem not only happend on me,
but many people, and I want find a better solution...
If you are lazy, then you will make them think "This person is not worth
helping".

Zebee

Well, sometimes I do what I have to,
other times I do what I want do.
and now I do "I have to"..

Alont

Abhinav said:
No need to change your favourite tool. Even if if does not allow you to go
to the end of the post, it will not matter much. This is because you will
anyway have to navigate through the post, snipping pieces and replying to
specific parts. Whether you do it from the bottom to up, or top to bottom,
doesn't matter much.

I stroke four "enter" here, so I hope I can find a clien who can
automatically add two empty line between two paragraph.....I want the
best solution :)
In fact, think of it this way: You will anyway read the message from TOP to
BOTTOM. If your cursor is at the TOP, it will be easier to read through it.
If it is at the Bottom, you will need to go to the TOP, and then read
through it :) .

Nice to see a well formed post with snipped info and signature in place. :)

Regards

a news reader must study to parse an original psot and quoting, I
think this isn't difficult,

Tad McClellan

Tad McClellan

Alont said:
the reason that I reply on top is that My client is Forte Agent1.8, it
automatically stay cursor on the top, if I change the cursor every
post, I'll be crazy!

If you continue to top-post, people will start to automatically
delete your postings *without reading* them.

You are the only one who can evaluate whether that trade-off
is worth it or not.

Alont

Tad McClellan said:
If you continue to top-post, people will start to automatically
delete your postings *without reading* them.

You are the only one who can evaluate whether that trade-off
is worth it or not.
My God, so seriously?

Jürgen Exner

Alont wrote:
[Top Posting]
the reason that I reply on top is that My client is Forte Agent1.8, it
automatically stay cursor on the top, if I change the cursor every
post, I'll be crazy! [...]

Well, actually that is probably by design because it is the best way to
support the most typical work flow.
You start at the top of the existing text, adding text to those sections you
want comment on and deleting sections that are not relevant any longer while
you are working your way down to the end of the old posting.

Or do you really edit, comment, and delete beginning at the bottom of the
text and moving up to the top? That would be unusual, at least for western
languages.

jue

thundergnat

Alont said:
F:\Perl\bin>perl E:\perl\t-pad-4.04.pl
Can't locate Tk.pm in @INC (@INC contains:
e:\oracle\product\10.1.0\Db_1\perl\lib\5.6.1\MSWin32-x86
e:\oracle\product\10.1.0\Db_1\perl\lib\5.6.1
e:\oracle\product\10.1.0\Db_1\perl\5.6.1\lib\MSWin32-x86 e:\oracle\pro
duct\10.1.0\Db_1\perl\site\5.6.1
e:\oracle\product\10.1.0\Db_1\perl\site\5.6.1\lib
e:\oracle\product\10.1.0\Db_1\sysman\admin\scripts F:/Perl/lib
F:/Perl/site/lib .) at E:\doc\perl\t-pad-4.04.pl line 8.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at E:\doc\perl\t-pad-4.04.pl line 8.

F:\Perl\bin>

In that case, I would recommend upgrading to a later release of perl.
The 5.8 series includes the Tk modules by default and it supports
unicode much better (which, since you are in China, would seem to be
desirable.)

Get it for free from http://www.activestate.com

I would also advise editing your environment to use the libs of the
location your are running your binary from. Right now, it appears that
you are running the perl interpreter from F:\Perl\bin> but are using the
libraries from e:\oracle\product\10.1.0\Db_1\perl\lib\5.6.1. If they are
not the same version of perl, you could end up with all sorts of bizarre
and hard to track down problems.

Chris Cole

I have tried, but faild, could you give me your setting about perl
compile in Editplus?my settings:
Menu text: Perl compiler
Command: F:\Perl\bin\Perl.exe
Argument: $(CurSel)
initial directory: F:\Perl\bin

I selected these script and then click "Perl compiler" menu:
#!/usr/bin/perl
print 54;

but the result:
---------- Perl compiler ----------
Can't open perl script "#!/usr/bin/perl ": No such file or directory
Normal Termination
Output completed (0 sec consumed).
I'm not at all surprised that this doesn't work as you expect it to.
You've quite clearly told your editor that the perl interpretor is in
F:\Perl\bin but then your script looks for it in /usr/bin (this is what
this line is for: #!/usr/bin/perl). /usr/bin is the default location for
perl on linux and is what you'll find in most of the (better) perl
books/tutorials. If your situation differs (it does) you must change the
shebang (#!) line as appropriate.
HTH
Chris.

A. Sinan Unur

I'm not at all surprised that this doesn't work as you expect it to.
You've quite clearly told your editor that the perl interpretor is in
F:\Perl\bin but then your script looks for it in /usr/bin (this is
what this line is for: #!/usr/bin/perl). /usr/bin is the default
location for perl on linux and is what you'll find in most of the
(better) perl books/tutorials. If your situation differs (it does) you
must change the shebang (#!) line as appropriate.

Actually, that is not his problem. Looking at

makes it clear that he is passing the current selection in the text
editor to perl as the name of the script.

He should instead pass the name of the current file and select the
current file directory as the directory in which to execute perl.

To the OP: You are being a leech.

EditPlus is a supported product. It has a web site, manual etc. Go read
them. You have used up any goodwill I might have had toward you.

David K. Wall

Why don't you learn how to use the software of your choice (BTW,
did you pay the registration fee?) I just downloaded EditPlus out
of curiosity. It took me 10 seconds to configure it so that I
could run the current file using perl and capture output within
the editor. No need for Explorer or shell windows.

I'm generally on Windows as well and I do very much the same thing
within my editor, although I don't use EditPlus. For what it's worth,
the screen shot of EditPlus showing the syntax highlighting for Perl
also shows output being captured: http://www.editplus.com/ss/perl.gif
Just don't look at the code in that image: I think it's Matt Wright's
formmail crap. :)

Any halfway-decent programmer's editor should allow you to execute a
command and capture the output. If it didn't, why use such a crippled
tool?

Alont

Chris Cole said:
I'm not at all surprised that this doesn't work as you expect it to.
You've quite clearly told your editor that the perl interpretor is in
F:\Perl\bin but then your script looks for it in /usr/bin (this is what
this line is for: #!/usr/bin/perl). /usr/bin is the default location for
perl on linux and is what you'll find in most of the (better) perl
books/tutorials. If your situation differs (it does) you must change the
shebang (#!) line as appropriate.
HTH
Chris.

#!F:/Perl/bin/perl
or #!F:\Perl\bin\perl
both I tested but the result:
---------- Perl compiler ----------

A. Sinan Unur said:
makes it clear that he is passing the current selection in the text
editor to perl as the name of the script.

He should instead pass the name of the current file and select the
current file directory as the directory in which to execute perl.

To the OP: You are being a leech.

EditPlus is a supported product. It has a web site, manual etc. Go read
them. You have used up any goodwill I might have had toward you.

I'm sorry I'm being a leech....
My english is poor, that make me harder on reading english
information....and sometimes I can't understand what's the meaning of
some sentences....I think I should go away and hardly read what you
say---in fact I read it before but I just can't understand
something....
however, that's my own problem, I should read again and again till I
can understood.....
I go now...

Alont

A. Sinan Unur said:
makes it clear that he is passing the current selection in the text
editor to perl as the name of the script.

He should instead pass the name of the current file and select the
current file directory as the directory in which to execute perl.

To the OP: You are being a leech.

EditPlus is a supported product. It has a web site, manual etc. Go read
them. You have used up any goodwill I might have had toward you.

Oh! I succeed! the setting as same as jave setting:

Example 1. Java Compiler

Menu text: Java Compiler
Command: c:\java\bin\javac.exe
Argument: "$(FilePath)"
Initial directory: $(FileDir)

Alont

Alont said:
#!F:/Perl/bin/perl
or #!F:\Perl\bin\perl
both I tested but the result:
---------- Perl compiler ----------
Normal Termination
Output completed (0 sec consumed).

I've solved the problem,

Alont

Tad McClellan said:
If you continue to top-post, people will start to automatically
delete your postings *without reading* them.

You are the only one who can evaluate whether that trade-off
is worth it or not.

I had change my custom..I'm new in this kind of posting

A. Sinan Unur

Alont said:
16:36:11 GMT:

Oh! I succeed! the setting as same as jave setting:

Good for you. But we do not care. Are you going to post it here every time
you figure out some piece of software unrelated to Perl?

Please read the posting guidelines and follow them.