what's the best environment to exercise Perl?

Alont

what's the best convenient environment to exercise Perl?
I'm new in perl, I'll make many syntax or other error in perl, so I
want a good environment to write->execute...
my platform is windows xp

Your fault as a Government is My failure as a citizen

Alont

write perl program in a editor and then save it as a *.pl file, and
then execute it? but the perl.exe will automatically exit when perl
script is end, and I can't see the result of my script,
the "environment" I asked is there have an editor who could execute
perl immediately(through a HotKey or a menu)

at Thu, 19 Aug 2004 11:31:26 -0400
Sherm Pendley said:
A computer. Seriously! Perl runs on damn near everything. ;-)

That will do.

For a neatly-packaged, easily-installed Perl for Windows:
<http://activestate.com/>

For some links, dead trees, etc. to help get you started:
<http://learn.perl.org>

sherm--

Your fault as a Government is My failure as a citizen

Peter Hickman

Open two command shells. In one type vi fred.pl (or whatever your favourite
editor is) and in the other you can type perl fred.pl to run the program. The
results will be left on-screen in the second window after the program runs.

Honest that is all you need, the syntax highlighting in vi is particularly
useful as is a tool called perltidy. Perl programmers rarely use IDEs (unless
you count emacs :) ) and as a result there exist very few IDEs for Perl.

No Perl programmer I have ever known uses an IDE.

Abhinav

Alont said:
write perl program in a editor and then save it as a *.pl file, and
then execute it? but the perl.exe will automatically exit when perl
script is end, and I can't see the result of my script,
the "environment" I asked is there have an editor who could execute
perl immediately(through a HotKey or a menu)

Try vim (http://vim.org). It should be able to do what you seem to want it
to do.

Abhinav

Alont said:
write perl program in a editor and then save it as a *.pl file, and
then execute it? but the perl.exe will automatically exit when perl
script is end, and I can't see the result of my script,
the "environment" I asked is there have an editor who could execute
perl immediately(through a HotKey or a menu)

Try vim (http://www.vim.org). It should do what you seem to want it to do.

John Bokma

Alont said:
write perl program in a editor and then save it as a *.pl file, and
then execute it? but the perl.exe will automatically exit when perl
script is end, and I can't see the result of my script,
the "environment" I asked is there have an editor who could execute
perl immediately(through a HotKey or a menu)

Use cmd.exe as a "DOS" box.

Windows key + R, type cmd.exe in the box. I made shortcuts in dirs, you can
also use the command prompt here hack (Google for it).

I use Textpad to edit Perl files, it does syntax highlighting. You can
invoke your script, and capture the output etc.

And stop top posting.

thundergnat

Alont said:
write perl program in a editor and then save it as a *.pl file, and
then execute it? but the perl.exe will automatically exit when perl
script is end, and I can't see the result of my script,
the "environment" I asked is there have an editor who could execute
perl immediately(through a HotKey or a menu)

There is a mini perl IDE/editor available on CPAN;

http://www.cpan.org/authors/id/T/TP/TPARVIAI/t-pad-4.04.pl

Has syntax highlighting, in editor execution and some other
interesting stuff. Perhaps most interesting, it is written
in perl.

Alont

thank you, but I'm working on Windows xp

at 19 Aug 2004 17:16:27 +0200
(e-mail address removed)×íõ¸õ¸µÄÄØ૵À:--
the GNU Emacs, of course

Klaus Schilling

Your fault as a Government is My failure as a citizen

Alont

maybe all people here are working on linux?
hehe, I use EditPlus to write perl and then save as a *.pl file,
then I open the *.pl file in Folder Window, WINDOWS automatically
start perl.exe to execute it, but when the end of the execution,
perl.exe automatically close --- so I can't see the result of the
execution, my problem is: how to stay the perl.exe on the end of
execution?
at Thu, 19 Aug 2004 17:41:10 +0100
Peter Hickman said:
Open two command shells. In one type vi fred.pl (or whatever your favourite
editor is) and in the other you can type perl fred.pl to run the program. The
results will be left on-screen in the second window after the program runs.

Honest that is all you need, the syntax highlighting in vi is particularly
useful as is a tool called perltidy. Perl programmers rarely use IDEs (unless
you count emacs :) ) and as a result there exist very few IDEs for Perl.

No Perl programmer I have ever known uses an IDE.

Your fault as a Government is My failure as a citizen

Alont

so troublesome! I want directly execute the script after I wrote it,

at Thu, 19 Aug 2004 10:56:09 -0600
Scott Bryce said:
Or use your favorite Windows editor, open a command window and type perl
fred.pl > results.txt to run the program. Open results.txt in your text
editor to see the results.

Your fault as a Government is My failure as a citizen

Alont

stop top posting? I have checked my date setting, it's right,
maybe Beijing time= GMT + 8 hour?

at 19 Aug 2004 17:23:16 GMT
John Bokma said:
Use cmd.exe as a "DOS" box.

Windows key + R, type cmd.exe in the box. I made shortcuts in dirs, you can
also use the command prompt here hack (Google for it).

I use Textpad to edit Perl files, it does syntax highlighting. You can
invoke your script, and capture the output etc.

And stop top posting.

Your fault as a Government is My failure as a citizen

Alont

F:\Perl\bin>perl E:\perl\t-pad-4.04.pl
Can't locate Tk.pm in @INC (@INC contains:
e:\oracle\product\10.1.0\Db_1\perl\lib\5.6.1\MSWin32-x86
e:\oracle\product\10.1.0\Db_1\perl\lib\5.6.1
e:\oracle\product\10.1.0\Db_1\perl\5.6.1\lib\MSWin32-x86 e:\oracle\pro
duct\10.1.0\Db_1\perl\site\5.6.1
e:\oracle\product\10.1.0\Db_1\perl\site\5.6.1\lib
e:\oracle\product\10.1.0\Db_1\sysman\admin\scripts F:/Perl/lib
F:/Perl/site/lib .) at E:\doc\perl\t-pad-4.04.pl line 8.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at E:\doc\perl\t-pad-4.04.pl line 8.

F:\Perl\bin>

at Thu, 19 Aug 2004 15:11:53 -0400
thundergnat said:
There is a mini perl IDE/editor available on CPAN;

http://www.cpan.org/authors/id/T/TP/TPARVIAI/t-pad-4.04.pl

Has syntax highlighting, in editor execution and some other
interesting stuff. Perhaps most interesting, it is written
in perl.

Your fault as a Government is My failure as a citizen

Alont

you mean that I must change my Region to GMT time?
but I'm living in china, this isn't my fault, isn't?

at 19 Aug 2004 19:27:12 GMT
A. Sinan Unur said:
You can show your gratitude by reading the posting quidelines and avoiding
top-posting.
-

Your fault as a Government is My failure as a citizen

Sherm Pendley

Alont said:
you mean that I must change my Region to GMT time?
but I'm living in china, this isn't my fault, isn't?

No, top-posting is when you put your reply at the top of your message.
Most people here prefer it to appear below the text you're replying to,
like this one.

sherm--