    <frame src="frame2.html">
    </frameset>

    Or we should use percentage instead??

    Matt, May 17, 2004

  2. Matt

    Whitecrest Guest

    Man, you probably have no idea how many nerves you just struck with this
    questions.

    First, do you really need a frame set? Probably not. But lets assume
    you are one of the cases that does. You should use percentage when ever
    possible. This allows your page to be a little more flexible. If your
    design does not work well flexible, then by all means use a fixed width.

    Whitecrest, May 17, 2004

  3. Matt

    SpaceGirl Guest

    Percentage would be better - there is no limit. Example, if a user is
    running at 800 x 600, then the max useable space is around 750 x 550. But if
    that same user changes resolution to 1600 x 1200 then you can use 1550 x
    1150. Double the space.

    You should also avoid frames unless you really *have* to use them, as they
    screw up bookmarking and wont do you any favours if you want to appear on
    search engines.

    SpaceGirl, May 17, 2004
  4. _a_ browser? Unlimited.
    A specific user's browser? Variable.
    Eugh. http://dorward.me.uk/www/frames/
    The appropriate unit depends upon the circumstances. Sometimes percentages
    are best, sometimes units related to the font size (like em), and
    occasionally pixels. (Of course, only pixels and percentages can be used in
    HTML, for other units you need CSS, which can't be applied to framesets)

    David Dorward, May 17, 2004
  5. If you make the *assumption* that the user browses with their windows
    maximised.
    Four times :)

    David Dorward, May 17, 2004
  6. 800x600 =)

    The Doormouse

    The Doormouse, May 17, 2004
  7. Matt

    SpaceGirl Guest

    Read what I wrote again. "...then the max usable space is around..." That
    naturally assumes the user has maximised their display, yes? Stop being so
    bloody picky anyway :)

    SpaceGirl, May 17, 2004
  8. inf by inf.

    Leif K-Brooks, May 17, 2004
  9. Matt

    David Ryan Guest

    Surely it's 4294967296 by 4294967296 on current Windows PCs and Macs? ;)

    David Ryan, May 17, 2004
  10. Matt

    Mabden Guest

    And if the user has two or more monitors, the width may be much more. Or the
    height if they stack them...

    I have 2048 x 768 maximum (go ahead and *assume* I maximize it), although it
    is slightly less since I can't "maximize" my browser with out it filling
    only one monitor, so I have to drag the window to almost maximized.

    Mabden, May 17, 2004
  11. Matt

    Kris Guest

    [/QUOTE]
    How about the Favorites bar of which you don't know whether it is open
    or collapsed, even if your window is maximized?

    Kris, May 17, 2004
  12. Matt

    Richard Guest

    Virually unlimited.
    If you were to give your page 10,000 by 10,000 pixels, then the viewer would
    see one very large page.
    If you use percentage, then you must design your page so that it would view
    properly in what ever dimensions the viewer uses.

    Richard, May 18, 2004
  13. Matt

    Neal Guest

    If you are using frameset wisely, then you're better off setting the
    smaller area with either % or a needed width, and allowing the rest to be
    relative to width. However, the times framesets are wise are few and far
    between, and I rarely see them implemented reasonably.

    If I make something on a page 800px wide, viewers on small screens must
    scroll horizontally, users on medium screens might be OK, and, oddly
    enough, users with very large screens might have to scroll horizontally -
    because their screen is so wide they run two windows side by side.

    The viewport can and will be *any* size, so plan on the browser rendering
    to any set of dimensions, rather than worry about max/min.

    Neal, May 18, 2004