What's the status of Rena?

gabriele renzi

Aredridel ha scritto:
Using it without trouble, liking it a lot, not as complete as redland,
but far more fun.

someone could sum up the differences beetween rubyrdf, the samizdat
rdf/sqish implementation and Rena?
Isn't there a significant overlap beetween all this stuff?

Lyle Johnson

someone could sum up the differences beetween rubyrdf, the samizdat
rdf/sqish implementation and Rena?
Isn't there a significant overlap beetween all this stuff?

I did some research into Rena, Ruby/RDF and some of the other
RDF-related projects last summer.

I didn't get very far with evaluating Samizdat due to the large number
of dependencies; but I think it's accurate to say that it's more of an
application that uses RDF, than a library (or "framework", if you
prefer) for processing RDF.

Dan Brickley has confirmed that Ruby/RDF is effectively a dead
project, which leaves Rena, Semitar and Redland. As Aredridel hinted,
Redland is certainly the most mature of the three, but it's heavily
dependent on C extension code. Semitar was (is?) sort-of a hybrid of
"mostly Ruby" and some C extension code. Rena was (is?) completely
implemented in Ruby. All of them provide, to some degree,
functionality for parsing RDF into a model and then querying that
data.

gabriele renzi

Lyle Johnson ha scritto:
I did some research into Rena, Ruby/RDF and some of the other
RDF-related projects last summer.

I didn't get very far with evaluating Samizdat due to the large number
of dependencies; but I think it's accurate to say that it's more of an
application that uses RDF, than a library (or "framework", if you
prefer) for processing RDF.

I knew, but I thought it somewhat embedded a module for handling RDF
that coulf be factored out
Dan Brickley has confirmed that Ruby/RDF is effectively a dead
project, which leaves Rena, Semitar and Redland. As Aredridel hinted,
Redland is certainly the most mature of the three, but it's heavily
dependent on C extension code. Semitar was (is?) sort-of a hybrid of
"mostly Ruby" and some C extension code. Rena was (is?) completely
implemented in Ruby. All of them provide, to some degree,
functionality for parsing RDF into a model and then querying that
data.

thanks a lot for clarifying.

Dmitri Borodaenko

I knew, but I thought it somewhat embedded a module for handling RDF
that coulf be factored out

It can be, and it shouldn't be hard: I never got to do this only
because no one expressed interest in that. Outside of standard Ruby
library, Samizdat's RDF storage only depends on Ruby/DBI with
Ruby/Postgres.

Just looked again, it seems all it would take is to take out
samizdat/storage.rb, config.yaml (you'd only need the db, ns, and map
sections), and a couple of definitions from samizdat.rb (class
SamizdatConfig and def config). Should I package that as a separate
library?

Aredridel

I didn't get very far with evaluating Samizdat due to the large number
It can be, and it shouldn't be hard: I never got to do this only
because no one expressed interest in that. Outside of standard Ruby
library, Samizdat's RDF storage only depends on Ruby/DBI with
Ruby/Postgres.

Just looked again, it seems all it would take is to take out
samizdat/storage.rb, config.yaml (you'd only need the db, ns, and map
sections), and a couple of definitions from samizdat.rb (class
SamizdatConfig and def config). Should I package that as a separate
library?

I'd be very interested.

Ari