  1. hg

    hg Guest

    http://www.diveintopython.org/

    hg, Feb 2, 2007

  2. I have no programming experience. I want to learn Python so I can make
    simple, 2D games. Where should I start? Can you recommend a good book?

    Thank you.

    Mister Newbie, Feb 2, 2007

  3. hg

    John Nagle Guest

    Blender GameKit.

    John Nagle

    John Nagle, Feb 2, 2007
  4. Hey n00b :)

    If you want to start 2d game programming w/python, I would look at the package
    pygame. There are some intro. tutorials at
    http://www.pygame.org/wiki/tutorials. These should give you a head start.
    Besides that, I suggest you scour the web via google to look at the source of
    simple 2d games to learn more.

    Good places to look at: gamedev.net, allegro.cc, amit's game programming
    information

    Good luck!

    - Jonathan

    Jonathan Curran, Feb 2, 2007
  5. hg

    Michael Guest

    If that's your goal, there's a perfect book for you - it's called "Python
    for the Absolute Beginner". It focusses on people with no programming
    experience, and aims to teach you how to make simple 2D games.

    Sounds like a perfect match. Even it's first example program is oriented
    around this and it's a simple program that displays a well worn 2 word
    phrase known to many a programmer and games player:

    ----
    #!/usr/bin/python

    print "GAME OVER!"
    ----

    It's relatively gentle, but builds up towards writing simple games in
    pygame.

    Michael.

    Michael, Feb 3, 2007
  6. George Sakkis, Feb 3, 2007
  7. hg

    Eric_Dexter Guest

    I would mention that blender is a great program but it is complaining
    about me having version 2.5 of python and not 2.4 or at least it
    claims I don't have python. pygame is probily a good program to start
    with as long as you keep in mind that it is possible that up to 50% of
    the p.c. laptops may not be able to run it. I don't want you to think
    of me as a complainer just a greedy graphics collector. Python-
    Allegro this is another intresting one but it requires .net and I
    haven't broke into it yet and the docs are pretty lite and it isn't
    ready for into stuff yet. I believe that both tkinter and wxwindows
    have canvas where you can use dots but that is alot of work for intro
    to programming type stuff but is more cross pc than pygame is..

    Eric_Dexter, Feb 3, 2007
  8. In <>,
    Huh? Care to explain this?

    Ciao,
    Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch

    Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch, Feb 3, 2007
  9. hg

    Michael Guest

    Michael, Feb 3, 2007
  10. hg

    Michael Guest

    I'd appreciate that being explained as well (also preferably backed up as
    well, but I'd be happy with explained :), since I've not actually seen this
    problem myself ever, though I've heard about it occasionally, but never
    seen it. What causes the problem?

    Michael.

    Michael, Feb 3, 2007
  11. hg

    Eric_Dexter Guest

    This is based on the documentation from panda3d explaining why certain
    functions do not work on pc lap tops. The trend in tek is smaller
    faster exc exc.. based on what they said at the time of thier
    documation and I would have to check this certain functions are not
    available because of memory of the graphics card??? I am going by
    memory and as promised those panda 3d functions do not work but the
    program overall is fine. There is no explanation in directpy but the
    mentioned using several methods and the method they use in the demo
    showing the island does not work but overall it works fine. For
    pygame the best I could get on my laptop was the outline of a window I
    was never able to get any graphics. There is some assumption based on
    what I read in the panda3d stuff that leads me to believe it is
    because of a lesser graphics. I could be wrong.. I looked into
    wxwindows a little further and have noticed more graphics stuff but
    documentation and tutorials for that sort of thing isn't readily
    available so hopefully there is a fix of pygame or more docs on
    wxwindows (or tkinter) that I can use at some time.

    Eric_Dexter, Feb 3, 2007
  12. In <>,
    Could you point to such documentation? The search function in the online
    docs doesn't know about "laptop".
    There must be enough memory to display a full screen, obviously,
    everything else is done in main memory then. And you are talking about
    panda3d functions and not pygame ones. The OP wanted to write simple 2D
    games, so it's irrelevant if panda3d doesn't work on some laptops.
    Claiming pygame doesn't work on about 50% of the laptops out there based
    on these facts is a bit exaggerated.

    Ciao,
    Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch

    Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch, Feb 4, 2007