    is the location of JRE ext folder. I am really a newbie for Mac and want
    your help. The Mac I am talking about is using Mac OS 10.3.4
    Thanks

    jingyu bai via JavaKB.com, Feb 15, 2005

  2. Look in

    /Library/Java/Home

    Collin

    Collin VanDyck, Feb 15, 2005

  3. In Mac OS X, the place where your JAVA_HOME variable should be pointed
    (regardless of which version is installed) is to /Library/Java/Home. In
    actual practice, "Home" will be a symbolic link to some other location
    which will vary according to which specific Java version is installed.
    In my case, it's to /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Home
    (what a mouthful). That last "Home" is yet another symbolic link
    pointing to something else. For me, it ultimately ends up referring to
    a "Home" directory that's part of the 1.4.2 JVM. While that directory
    will contain some things that aren't present on other platforms, it will
    contain both the bin and lib directories. And my lib directory contains
    both ext and endorsed directories.

    The /usr/bin/java command will be a symbolic link to something else,
    which will ultimately point at the default JVM. I say this because it's
    possible to have multiples installed, but only one is the default. And
    unless you really need to get into distinguishing them, it's probably
    safest (given all these links) just to fire up something using that
    /usr/bin/java command that will give you the "java.home" system property
    and going from there. In my case, it returns the complete actual path
    with all symbolic links resolved.

    = Steve =

    Steve W. Jackson, Feb 15, 2005
  4. jingyu bai via JavaKB.com

    Bill Tschumy Guest

    Yes, but he probably wants to place them in ~/Library/Java/Extensions (where
    ~ is your home directory). That is the recommended place for user installed
    extensions.
    If you want the jar files to be available to all users, place them in
    /Library/Java/Extensions (admin privileges will be needed to install here).

    Bill Tschumy, Feb 15, 2005
  5. I appreciate your guys great help. The reason I ask this is because we have
    a web application with some enhancement feature need to use applet and the
    jar file is prety big (nearly 4M). I have confirmed that the JRE1.4.2 has
    cache problem and I can't use JRE1.4.1(which do cache job better tahn 1.4.2)
    since I don't know how to control the JRE version user will install in
    their machine. I will need to put those jar files into some user's ext
    folder but no control for public and have to wait the bug fix. See Sun's
    bug report for this: http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?
    bug_id=5109018
    Does some one know if the JRE 1.4.1 with Safari works with LiveConnection
    since I think it only work with JRE1.4.2? I looked around and found that
    Mac structure of JRE on Mac is not like JRE on Windows and it is the same
    as Java but Windows will have seperate folder either in JRE or under C:\
    Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_07 ? Can someone advise me about this? Thanks

    jingyu bai via JavaKB.com, Feb 16, 2005
  6. Are you talking about browser's applet JRE will pick them up from
    ~/Library/Java/Extensions (or /Library/Java/Ext)? I am not talking about
    standalone Java application. Thanks.

    jingyu bai via JavaKB.com, Feb 16, 2005
  7. jingyu bai via JavaKB.com

    Bill Tschumy Guest

    Anything placed either directory is automatically added to the classpath. I
    haven't explicitly tried it with an applet, but it should work.

    Bill Tschumy, Feb 16, 2005
  8. jingyu bai via JavaKB.com

    Bill Tschumy Guest

    I'm afraid I don't know this. Never used LiveConnect.
    I've read this three times and I'm still not sure what you're asking. Sorry.

    Bill Tschumy, Feb 16, 2005