Where is the JRE location with Mac?

jingyu bai via JavaKB.com

I need to copy some jar files into ext folder and would like to know where
is the location of JRE ext folder. I am really a newbie for Mac and want
your help. The Mac I am talking about is using Mac OS 10.3.4
Thanks

Collin VanDyck

jingyu said:
I need to copy some jar files into ext folder and would like to know where
is the location of JRE ext folder. I am really a newbie for Mac and want
your help. The Mac I am talking about is using Mac OS 10.3.4
Thanks

Look in

/Library/Java/Home

Collin

Steve W. Jackson

jingyu bai via JavaKB.com said:
I need to copy some jar files into ext folder and would like to know where
is the location of JRE ext folder. I am really a newbie for Mac and want
your help. The Mac I am talking about is using Mac OS 10.3.4
Thanks

In Mac OS X, the place where your JAVA_HOME variable should be pointed
(regardless of which version is installed) is to /Library/Java/Home. In
actual practice, "Home" will be a symbolic link to some other location
which will vary according to which specific Java version is installed.
In my case, it's to /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Home
(what a mouthful). That last "Home" is yet another symbolic link
pointing to something else. For me, it ultimately ends up referring to
a "Home" directory that's part of the 1.4.2 JVM. While that directory
will contain some things that aren't present on other platforms, it will
contain both the bin and lib directories. And my lib directory contains
both ext and endorsed directories.

The /usr/bin/java command will be a symbolic link to something else,
which will ultimately point at the default JVM. I say this because it's
possible to have multiples installed, but only one is the default. And
unless you really need to get into distinguishing them, it's probably
safest (given all these links) just to fire up something using that
/usr/bin/java command that will give you the "java.home" system property
and going from there. In my case, it returns the complete actual path
with all symbolic links resolved.

= Steve =

Bill Tschumy

Look in

/Library/Java/Home

Collin

Yes, but he probably wants to place them in ~/Library/Java/Extensions (where
~ is your home directory). That is the recommended place for user installed
extensions.
If you want the jar files to be available to all users, place them in
/Library/Java/Extensions (admin privileges will be needed to install here).

jingyu bai via JavaKB.com

I appreciate your guys great help. The reason I ask this is because we have
a web application with some enhancement feature need to use applet and the
jar file is prety big (nearly 4M). I have confirmed that the JRE1.4.2 has
cache problem and I can't use JRE1.4.1(which do cache job better tahn 1.4.2)
since I don't know how to control the JRE version user will install in
their machine. I will need to put those jar files into some user's ext
folder but no control for public and have to wait the bug fix. See Sun's
bug report for this: http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?
bug_id=5109018
Does some one know if the JRE 1.4.1 with Safari works with LiveConnection
since I think it only work with JRE1.4.2? I looked around and found that
Mac structure of JRE on Mac is not like JRE on Windows and it is the same
as Java but Windows will have seperate folder either in JRE or under C:\
Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_07 ? Can someone advise me about this? Thanks

jingyu bai via JavaKB.com

Are you talking about browser's applet JRE will pick them up from
~/Library/Java/Extensions (or /Library/Java/Ext)? I am not talking about
standalone Java application. Thanks.

Bill Tschumy

Are you talking about browser's applet JRE will pick them up from
standalone Java application. Thanks.

Anything placed either directory is automatically added to the classpath. I
haven't explicitly tried it with an applet, but it should work.

Bill Tschumy

Does some one know if the JRE 1.4.1 with Safari works with LiveConnection
since I think it only work with JRE1.4.2?

I'm afraid I don't know this. Never used LiveConnect.
I looked around and found that
Mac structure of JRE on Mac is not like JRE on Windows and it is the same
as Java but Windows will have seperate folder either in JRE or under C:\
Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_07 ? Can someone advise me about this? Thanks

I've read this three times and I'm still not sure what you're asking. Sorry.