where to begin

raptor

hi,

I already wrote some simple java stuff both with text editor and with
NetBeans IDE.
I already know other languages and overally the language Java is clear
to me..
Now what I want is to be able to get quickly to the Java-Framework, so
I need yout advices on :

1. Which IDE to use ? I would like this IDE to have completion, context
help about the objects/methods/proprietes (not to hunt one hour in
google to find that MesssageBox can be shown with
JOptionPane.showMessageDialog() :"), which newscomer can figure this
one :")) and all similar stuff . (netbeans seems to have it, but I dont
know which is required package that contains the Java documentation so
that it is avaible inside the IDE/gentoo/)
2. I would like to be able to make apache/Tomcat and JBoss apps.
3. A way to deploy standalone app w/ all depencities..

(i'm more comfortable with pure text editor, but for speedy learning of
the object framwork I will have to use IDE)
afaik netbeans can do most of these things, i'm newscommer here.. and
wanted to learn more about alternatives and pros/cons of them.
I'm primary talking about Linux.

so what are your advices , tia

raptor

currently i tried 3.5 and 3.6.
Also I emrged 4.0-r1 but it was going in infinite loop after starting
it or when I select FINISH on New Project.
That is why I downgraded to 3.6

raptor

oops I also forgot to ask which JDK to use... i'm currently with
blackdown-jdk is it good..