Which book is better, Core Java or Thinking in Java?

SteveSmith

Or is there something better for someone who is a beginner to Java?

Is one of these two books better for learning Swing? Overall which is better for all the
important topics?

I've been using the downloaded version of Thinking in Java as a reference while reading
another book. I've just started reading Chaper 14 "Creating Windows and Applets". I'm not
that happy with it. Maybe I haven't gotten far enough into it yet but so far I don't think
he tells you enough about what the methods do or even the purpose of the different classes
like JFrame, JApplet and JPanel at least not at first. Maybe it gets better later in the
chapter so I can't say for sure it's not that good at this point.

Thank you.

MaXiaochi

Thinking in Java may be the best book,but for a freshman,it is not
frindly enough.If it pay more attention to the basic concept,and think
from the point of view of a new learner,it will be.

SteveSmith

Thinking in Java may be the best book,but for a freshman,it is not
frindly enough.If it pay more attention to the basic concept,and think
from the point of view of a new learner,it will be.

I also think it should be friendlier to a Java beginner at least in the chapter on Windows
and Applets. I liked what I read of the other chapters. Would you recommend Core Java then
or something else?
Thank you.

Mark 'Kamikaze' Hughes

Or is there something better for someone who is a beginner to Java?
Is one of these two books better for learning Swing? Overall which is
better for all the important topics? I've been using the downloaded
version of Thinking in Java as a reference while reading another book.
I've just started reading Chaper 14 "Creating Windows and Applets".
I'm not that happy with it. Maybe I haven't gotten far enough into it
yet but so far I don't think he tells you enough about what the
methods do or even the purpose of the different classes like JFrame,
JApplet and JPanel at least not at first. Maybe it gets better later
in the chapter so I can't say for sure it's not that good at this
point. Thank you.

TIJ is by far the best intro book to Java. Stick with it.

However, it does not describe every method of every class, because you
have the Javadocs to look at already. You downloaded the JDK
documentation, right? Open <JDKHOME/docs/index.html>, page down to the
API & Language Documentation, and click on Java 2 Platform API
Specification. Bookmark this page, you'll be using it every day for the
rest of your life.

If you really need excruciating detail about the internals of Swing,
<Swing 2nd Ed.> pub. by Manning is a good resource, but until you're
elbows-deep in the guts of a complex Swing app, you don't need it.

SteveSmith

TIJ is by far the best intro book to Java. Stick with it.

However, it does not describe every method of every class, because you
have the Javadocs to look at already.

True. I haven't gotten that far with the Windows and Applets chapter but from what I've
seen I think it explains less than what a book should. I think I will read through the
rest of the chapter and see how it goes. I'll also use the tutorial. Another book would be
helpful if I need it.
You downloaded the JDK
documentation, right? Open <JDKHOME/docs/index.html>, page down to the
API & Language Documentation, and click on Java 2 Platform API
Specification. Bookmark this page, you'll be using it every day for the
rest of your life.

I've been looking at the API documentation since a short time after I started learning
Java and I can see how useful it is.
If you really need excruciating detail about the internals of Swing,
<Swing 2nd Ed.> pub. by Manning is a good resource, but until you're
elbows-deep in the guts of a complex Swing app, you don't need it.

Thanks for the information and book suggestion.

Mark 'Kamikaze' Hughes

True. I haven't gotten that far with the Windows and Applets chapter
but from what I've seen I think it explains less than what a book
should. I think I will read through the rest of the chapter and see
how it goes. I'll also use the tutorial. Another book would be helpful
if I need it.

There's also David Geary's <Graphic Java> trilogy, excellent books
about the details of the AWT, Swing, and Java 2D. However, they're
aimed at intermediate-advanced Java programmers with really difficult
graphics problems, and make TIJ look gentle and chatty.
Thanks for the information and book suggestion.

No problem. Good luck!

SteveSmith

There's also David Geary's <Graphic Java> trilogy, excellent books
about the details of the AWT, Swing, and Java 2D. However, they're
aimed at intermediate-advanced Java programmers with really difficult
graphics problems, and make TIJ look gentle and chatty.

No problem. Good luck!

Thanks again.