Which book to get?

John

I've been through the beginning versions Wrox's ASP 3.0 AND ASP Databases.
I wan't to start getting into .Net but don't know what to get. Should I get
the "beginning" versions or go to the Professional versions. I have "no"
idea how different .net is so I don't know how to choose.

Thanks!

John

what I'm looking for is what books wouldn't be a "waste" if I've been
through the beginning wrox books (which are NOT .net). I want to go to .net
but I don't want to spend 50 bucks on a book that is just a rehash of all
the beginning material and concepts. If .net is totally different then I
would need to get beginning books for .net so what I'm looking for is "is
..net so different that I should go for first level books or not?" If not
then could someone suggest what to get for someone that's been through
wrox's beginning ASP 3.0 and ASP Databases?

I know squat about C#. I "started" C++ but didn't get far with it. I
coulnd't find a practical reason to use it from where I was coming from so I
stopped. I have Sam's C++ in 21 and C++ Primer but those just sit there for
now...

Thanks again.

John

oh NO, that SUCKS!!! I didn't expect that NO WAY! %$^ &^&^% &#*#^#

Well, I guess I got my answer, thanks man.

Hal Rosser

John said:
oh NO, that SUCKS!!! I didn't expect that NO WAY! %$^ &^&^% &#*#^#

Well, I guess I got my answer, thanks man.
Now is when a PHP advocate would invite you into that world.
(its free - open-source - pretty easy too)
I haven't used it - but boy, am I tempted.

John

what's weird is I just bought a php/mysql book to get the gist and see what
it was all about. I was kicking myself when I found out about .net however
thinking I should have gotten a .net book instead. I don't know what to
think anymore, I guess I just got into this at the wrong time. I do hear
that mySql is fairly robust and it is free....on my server anyway.
sqlserver is NOT free on my server and I can't afford it either.

bringing it back to asp "classic", is going to be around a while? what
makes .net so hot in comparison?

Adrienne

Now is when a PHP advocate would invite you into that world.
(its free - open-source - pretty easy too)
I haven't used it - but boy, am I tempted.

Not a complete PHP advocate, but I have clients whose sites are in PHP,
so I'm in the process of learning it. It's really not that difficult,
and AFICT the logic is the same.

I've got both PHP and ASP on my computer. The only bad thing is I
sometimes I write <? when I mean to write <% and vice versa.

Jeff Cochran

oh NO, that SUCKS!!! I didn't expect that NO WAY! %$^ &^&^% &#*#^#

The good news though is that everything you need to know is available
on the internet somewhere.

Jeff