which scipy binary for Win32

Adam

Am looking at
http://sourceforge.net/projects/scipy/files/scipy/0.8.0/
and I wonder which is the binary to install on WinXP ?
As pointed to by this page, http://www.scipy.org/Download

All I can see on that sourceforge page are the huge
python2.6 and python2.7 Powerpacks, at 43megs or so
each. The scipy-0.8.0.zip seems to require compilation.

FYI: I'm installing Python 2.7, so have uninstalled all
Python2.5 and Python2.6, including older numpy, scipy and
matplotlib.

Presently, prior to installation, I have;
python-2.7.1.msi (15.628 meg)
numpy-1.5.1-win32-superpack-python2.7.exe (5.354 meg)
matplotlib-1.0.1.win32-py2.7.exe (8.105 meg)

Does the scipy 2.7 Powerpack include numpy anyway ?

Any recommendations or pointers appreciated. Thanks.

Dave Hirschfeld

Adam said:
Am looking at
http://sourceforge.net/projects/scipy/files/scipy/0.8.0/
and I wonder which is the binary to install on WinXP ?
As pointed to by this page, http://www.scipy.org/Download

All I can see on that sourceforge page are the huge
python2.6 and python2.7 Powerpacks, at 43megs or so
each. The scipy-0.8.0.zip seems to require compilation.

Any recommendations or pointers appreciated. Thanks.

I'd say the easiest thing to do would be to get one of the superpack binaries. I
would probably go for the 9.0rc
(http://sourceforge.net/projects/scipy/files/scipy/0.9.0rc1/) as it will likely
have fewer bugs that 8.0 and will make your code more future-proof in a fast
changing world. That said, not everyone likes living on the bleeding edge...

AFAIK the superpack binaries don't include numpy but are so big because they
contain several versions of scipy depending on whether your cpu supports
SSE1/SSE2 or not at all. The correct version will be detected and installed
automatically.

HTH,
Dave

David Cournapeau

Am looking at
http://sourceforge.net/projects/scipy/files/scipy/0.8.0/
and I wonder which is the binary to install on WinXP ?
As pointed to by this page, http://www.scipy.org/Download

All I can see on that sourceforge page are the huge
python2.6 and python2.7 Powerpacks, at 43megs or so
each. The scipy-0.8.0.zip seems to require compilation.

What make you think those are not the right ones ? The size is caused
by the presence of three architectures (sse2, sse3 and no sse support)
inside the binary installer.
Does the scipy 2.7 Powerpack include numpy anyway ?

No, you need to install numpy first.

cheers,

David