Who can develop the following Python script into working application ?

http://members.lycos.co.uk/dariusjack/

Hi,

I am happy user of Nokia 770 tablett
and one application for Nokia 770 is maemo mapper (beta navigation
application).
And the following script should run under mm (for Debian).
Its developer told me it wans intended for other developers.
I have no idea how to write Python script
so please tell me how to learn how the following script works and how
to modify it to be fully working,
Frankly speaking I would prefer to pay for your kind assistance
as it may take me to much time to learn some Python and understand the
following script.

I would like to modify it to add 2 more columns to SQL (sqlite3) POI
database, to set proximity value and spead limit as in safety cam POI
in standard car navigation systems.

Please let me know your opinion.

Darius

#!/usr/bin/python2.5
#
# This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
# modify it under the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public
# License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either
# version 2.1 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.
#
# This library is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
# MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU
# Lesser General Public License for more details.
#
# You should have received a copy of the GNU Lesser General Public
# License along with this library; if not, write to the Free Software
# Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA
02110-1301 USA

__author__ = "Henri Bergius <[email protected]>"
__version__ = "0.0.1"
__date__ = "2007-03-06"
__copyright__ = "Copyright (c) 2007 %s. All rights reserved." %
__author__
__licence__ = "LGPL"

import sqlite3
import dbus
import httplib
import os
from xml.dom.minidom import parseString

# Start with getting position from GeoClue
bus = dbus.SessionBus()
# TODO: Get the GeoClue interface to use from /schemas/apps/geoclue/
position/defaultpath
# and /schemas/apps/geoclue/position/defaultserviceGConf keys
proxy_obj =
bus.get_object('org.foinse_project.geoclue.position.hostip', '/org/
foinse_project/geoclue/position/hostip')
geoclue_iface = dbus.Interface(proxy_obj,
'org.foinse_project.geoclue.position')

# Get the coordinates from the service
coordinates = geoclue_iface.current_position()
# We can also use hardcoded
#coordinates[0] = 60.158806494564
#coordinates[1] = 24.9426341056824

print "According to GeoClue you are in %s %s." % (coordinates[0],
coordinates[1])

# Make the HTTP request to the Geonames service
print "Pulling local Wikipedia pages from Geonames"
http_connection = httplib.HTTPConnection("ws.geonames.org")
http_connection.request("GET", "/findNearbyWikipedia?lat=%s" %
coordinates[0] + "&lng=%s" % coordinates[1] + "&maxRows=100")
http_response = http_connection.getresponse()
# TODO: Error handling
xml = http_response.read()

def parse_entries(xml):
dom = parseString(xml)
entries = dom.getElementsByTagName('entry')
results = []
for entry in entries:
entry_dictionary = {}
entry_dictionary['title'] = entry.getElementsByTagName('title')
[0].firstChild.data
entry_dictionary['summary'] =
entry.getElementsByTagName('summary')[0].firstChild.data + " (source:
Wikipedia)"

if (entry.getElementsByTagName('feature')[0].firstChild):
entry_dictionary['feature'] =
entry.getElementsByTagName('feature')[0].firstChild.data

entry_dictionary['lat'] =
float(entry.getElementsByTagName('lat')[0].firstChild.data)
entry_dictionary['lon'] =
float(entry.getElementsByTagName('lng')[0].firstChild.data)
results.append(entry_dictionary)
return results

entries = parse_entries(xml)

# Open SQLite connection
#sqlite_connection = sqlite3.connect(os.path.expanduser("~/
MyDocs/.documents/poi.db"))
sqlite_connection = sqlite3.connect(os.path.expanduser("/home/user/
MyDocs/.documents/poi.db"))
sqlite_cursor = sqlite_connection.cursor()
for entry in entries:
# Check if the entry is already in database
sql_variables = (entry["title"],)
sqlite_cursor.execute('select poi_id from poi where label=?',
sql_variables)
existing_entry_id = sqlite_cursor.fetchall()
if (existing_entry_id):
print "%s is already in database, skipping" % entry["title"]
# TODO: Update
else:
print "Inserting %s (%s, %s) into POI database" %
(entry["title"], entry["lat"], entry["lon"])
# TODO: Be smarter about POI categories
sql_variables = (entry["lat"], entry["lon"], entry["title"],
entry["summary"], 10)
sqlite_cursor.execute("insert into poi (lat, lon, label, desc,
cat_id) values (?, ?, ?, ?, ?)", sql_variables)

sqlite_connection.commit()
sqlite_cursor.close()
sqlite_connection.close()

[...]

Please help and let me know your terms.

Darius

http://members.lycos.co.uk/dariusjack/

There are websites dedicated to this - like e.g.

http://www.guru.com/

Make an offer there.

Diez

Ok Diez,

Do you really think only Gurus from Guru.com can help me ?
Do really need a middle-man ?
As you see, I am not developer of that code.
Henri responded to me, code was intended for developers.
It doesn't really look complicated or high-tech.
Script should connect to a remote web site and get xml formatted data
as a response to a query string http request, read data and inject
into SQL database.
Is Python not fit to a task of this kind ?
Is there no a library of Python free scripts to accomplish the above
like many for javascripts ?
I am asking just of curosity, as an author of this script didn't
respond to my second request to tell me how complicated is the
problem and what made him not to write that script as a fully working
version.

Is Python so difficult, complicated, even for experienced developers ?

Thanks for any comments.

Darius

Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch

Is Python not fit to a task of this kind ?

It is, and it should be quite simple.
Is there no a library of Python free scripts to accomplish the above
like many for javascripts ?
I am asking just of curosity, as an author of this script didn't
respond to my second request to tell me how complicated is the
problem and what made him not to write that script as a fully working
version.

Is Python so difficult, complicated, even for experienced developers ?

What makes you think it is?

This group is about the Python programming language, discussing it and
helping people to learn it. It seems that people here don't like fixing
code for free for people who are not interested in the language
themselves. There are platforms like guru.com or rentacoder.com for such
assignments.

Ciao,
Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch

Diez B. Roggisch

http://members.lycos.co.uk/dariusjack/ said:
Ok Diez,

Do you really think only Gurus from Guru.com can help me ?
Do really need a middle-man ?

What middle-man?
As you see, I am not developer of that code.
Henri responded to me, code was intended for developers.
It doesn't really look complicated or high-tech.
Script should connect to a remote web site and get xml formatted data
as a response to a query string http request, read data and inject
into SQL database.
Is Python not fit to a task of this kind ?
Is there no a library of Python free scripts to accomplish the above
like many for javascripts ?
I am asking just of curosity, as an author of this script didn't
respond to my second request to tell me how complicated is the
problem and what made him not to write that script as a fully working
version.

Is Python so difficult, complicated, even for experienced developers ?

No, it's neither complicated nor difficult. And you know what? Not only
for expierenced, but also for inexperienced developers it's an easy
language.

And this community here is an extremely helpful and kind one.

But what it isn't is a forum to ask other to do your work FOR FREE. And
get kinky about it if they refuse to do so...

And as you said yourself:

"""
Frankly speaking I would prefer to pay for your kind assistance
as it may take me to much time to learn some Python and understand the
following script.
"""

Now, again: http://www.guru.com/ There you can get devlopers for money.
So what again is your problem?

Diez

Andrey Khavryuchenko

DBR> And as you said yourself:

DBR> """
DBR> Frankly speaking I would prefer to pay for your kind assistance
DBR> as it may take me to much time to learn some Python and understand the
DBR> following script.
DBR> """

DBR> Now, again: http://www.guru.com/ There you can get devlopers for
DBR> money. So what again is your problem?

Actually, I am a python (and django) developer, looking for a contract,
owning Nokia 770 and contacted original poster with no response.

http://members.lycos.co.uk/dariusjack/

DBR> And as you said yourself:

DBR> """
DBR> Frankly speaking I would prefer to pay for your kind assistance
DBR> as it may take me to much time to learn some Python and understand the
DBR> following script.
DBR> """

DBR> Now, again:http://www.guru.com/There you can get devlopers for
DBR> money. So what again is your problem?

Actually, I am a python (and django) developer, looking for a contract,
owning Nokia 770 and contacted original poster with no response.

Thanks Andrey,

if you mean having emailed me before.
I really sorry having to tell that I haven't got any email from you.
Don't use
feature by Google Groups
as any such email is not sent from your mailbox and you don't have a
copy of it.
Just read my e-mail and email me directly from your mailbox not Google
Groups.
At some groups Google diabled this option to contact original poster
personally
and even poster's email adresss is not avaliable.

Thanks for your interest.
Darius

Diez B. Roggisch

Andrey said:
DBR> And as you said yourself:

DBR> """
DBR> Frankly speaking I would prefer to pay for your kind assistance
DBR> as it may take me to much time to learn some Python and understand the
DBR> following script.
DBR> """

DBR> Now, again: http://www.guru.com/ There you can get devlopers for
DBR> money. So what again is your problem?

Actually, I am a python (and django) developer, looking for a contract,
owning Nokia 770 and contacted original poster with no response.

Well, I presume the above quoted wasn't exactly true - in the end, the
whole attitude of the OP smelled after "I want you to do work for me for
free that I'm unwilling to bother myself with - as it would mean putting
effort into it."

Diez

Tobiah

Diez said:
Well, I presume the above quoted wasn't exactly true - in the end, the
whole attitude of the OP smelled after "I want you to do work for me for
free that I'm unwilling to bother myself with - as it would mean putting
effort into it."

Diez

Jeepers - It says right there in the quote that he is willing to pay.
I don't see why the OP is getting so much flack for his question, even
if it is thought to be a little off topic.