    server side application/website to a mobile device website, and double
    maintain all changes in my web applications if I want to reach both mobile
    devices and normal browsers?

    Marc, May 19, 2008

  2. Have you looked at normal website with the phone?
    If you have you would know why.
    Plus at this point none of the phone browsers have full support for
    JavaScript. Even iPhone.

    George.

    George Ter-Saakov, May 19, 2008

  3. Marc

    Marc Guest

    No I have not. I do not have a mobile browser phone. But I understand then
    that a non specifically mobile site is hard to browse with a phone. I also
    wonder how this is solved in other enviroments like JSP. And how the double
    maintenance should be managed.

    But in the future may-be server tools would be better, and more able to
    serve a special mobile browser and the 'double' websites should merge?

    Marc, May 19, 2008
  4. Because the mobile user only has 320 x 240 pixels to work with in most
    instances. Your site is generally designed much larger than this. In
    addition, the IE mobile browser is not as full featured as the desktop
    browser, so certain things do not translate.

    If you do not design differently, you can also end up with controls that do
    not work. I can show you some examples, if you need one.
    Yes. I do it all of the time. When they are not designed for mobile, they
    generally suck.
    Depending on the design, it may be as simple as changing CSS. With certain
    technology, esp. the newer, you will have to create dual sites. If you site
    is largely informational, consider avoiding new technology.

    BTW, this is really no different than the requirement you have to create a
    standard site when you create a Silverlight site.

    Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\), May 19, 2008
  5. The biggest problem is resolution. Phones have tiny screens and what looks
    good in regular monitor is barely acceptable on phone screens.

    So mostly applications have 2 different presentational levels. One for
    normal monitors and one for phones.
    It as you have 2 totally different applications so you will need to double
    it.

    The business logic suppose to be the same so there is no need to duplicate
    it. May be "bend" a little since different presentation often has different
    workflow.

    George.

    George Ter-Saakov, May 19, 2008
  6. Marc

    Marc Guest

    Ah yes, clear!

    Marc, May 20, 2008
  7. Marc

    Marc Guest

    Ah yes, clear! That makes more sense, making a seperate presentation layer,
    not a whole seperate application. So I would expect a special mobile layer
    inside the existing application, not a seperate application. Instead, and it
    is just the first thing I read about mobile webapps, the lesson starts
    explaining how to create a seperate mobile web-app. And my first thought is,
    hey I cannot imagine building a seperate application for a special browser
    is good design....et cetera.

    Marc, May 20, 2008