Why does Tomcat use 8443 for https?

Pep

I have followed the instruction in the Tomcat manual for enabling https but
keep getting a "connection refused" error message when I try to run a jsp
page in https mode although it works fine for http mode.

I am running Tomcat5.0

There are no errors in the catalina log file.

Yet I can telnet to port 8443 which I believe is the port used by Tomcat for
https connections.

When I changed the config to use port 443 for https the connections work
fine?

TIA,
Pep.

Dag Sunde

Pep said:
I have followed the instruction in the Tomcat manual for enabling https but
keep getting a "connection refused" error message when I try to run a jsp
page in https mode although it works fine for http mode.

I am running Tomcat5.0

There are no errors in the catalina log file.

Yet I can telnet to port 8443 which I believe is the port used by Tomcat
for
https connections.
When I changed the config to use port 443 for https the connections work
fine?

What did the URL you typed into your browser look like?

If you just type https://somesite/..., most browsers sends automatically
to port 443. If your server is running ssl on a different (non-default)
port, you'll have to specify it in the url: https://somesite:8443/...

Could this be the problem?

josh.s17

If your question is "Why does Tomcat use port 8443 instead of 443 by
default for SSL" then the answer is probably

1. On unix a normal user cannot use ports less than 1024 (or something
like that) only the super user can. Therefore many users would have
trouble running tomcat after a default install when they don't have
super user access.
2). Often apache will run on 80 and 443 and then redirect appropriate
requests to the application server such as Tomcat.

It is just a default and you are free to change it!