why don't you move on to something?

monstabeens

hi,
i'm assuming that most people here use c
but i've been thinking about moving on to something else probably c++,
are there any good reasons to stick with c?

Martin Ambuhl

hi,
i'm assuming that most people here use c
but i've been thinking about moving on to something else probably c++,
are there any good reasons to stick with c?

No.
I you change to a different language, you can try trolling in newsgroups
for that language instead of here.

Guest

i'm assuming that most people here use c
but i've been thinking about moving on to something else probably c++,

why? This is a serious question, how you answer it affects the answer.

If you just want to learn another language, why C++? Why not choose
one
with a different paradigm? You could look at Python, ML or smalltalk.

Or do you want to learn OO? You might be better off learning OOD
(Design)
rather than OOP (Programming).
are there any good reasons to stick with c?

small, portable, close to the machine. The usual advice these
days is to learn a "soft" language (interpreted?) like Ruby
or Python. They are, allegedly, more productive.

Ben Bacarisse

i'm assuming that most people here use c
but i've been thinking about moving on to something else probably c++,
are there any good reasons to stick with c?

There are always some reasons to stick with what you know, simply
because you know it, but learning is always good (if you have time).
Try to write at least one program in a new language every year. That
way, in a few years time, you will be better placed to answer this
sort of question for yourself.

jfbode1029

I'm assuming this question is being asked in good faith, and isn't
simply flamebait.

hi,
i'm assuming that most people here use c
but i've been thinking about moving on to something else probably c++,
are there any good reasons to stick with c?

There are good reasons to stick with C. There are also good reasons
to use C++, or Objective-C, or Fortran, or Haskell (Java I'm not so
sure about; the more I play with it, the less impressed I am).

No one language is universally better at everything than every other
language. There are application domains where C is still the best
answer; there are application domains where anything *but* C is the
best answer.

Sjouke Burry

hi,
i'm assuming that most people here use c
but i've been thinking about moving on to something else probably c++,
are there any good reasons to stick with c?
Is there any reason for trolling in a C group?
Or for cursing loudly in a church??

lawrence.jones

blargg said:
i'm assuming most people here use english
but i've been thinking about moving on to something else probably esperanto,
are there any good reasons to stick with english?

Onay, utbay Igpay Atinlay ishay ahay uchmay etterbay oicechay.

JosephKK

hi,
i'm assuming that most people here use c
but i've been thinking about moving on to something else probably c++,
are there any good reasons to stick with c?

Perhaps a better question is "what to move on to?", justify your
choice(s). Besides, most programmers i know use more than one
programming language. Know your tools and how to apply them.
.

luser-ex-troll

hi,
i'm assuming that most people here use c
but i've been thinking about moving on to something else probably c++,
are there any good reasons to stick with c?

We choose to do these things not because they are easy,
but because they are hard.

user923005

I'm assuming this question is being asked in good faith, and isn't
simply flamebait.

There are good reasons to stick with C.  There are also good reasons
to use C++, or Objective-C, or Fortran, or Haskell (Java I'm not so
sure about; the more I play with it, the less impressed I am).

If you need something with a standardized GUI that works almost
everywhere, Java is pretty hard to beat.
I would not write a database in Java (though people have).
I would not write weather calculation or seismic calculation programs
in Java (though people have).
But if I needed to write a very portable user interface that runs on
Windows and Linux and Solaris and AIX and OpenVMS etc. Java would be
pretty hard to beat.
Mono is beta on Posix, in my opinion.
No one language is universally better at everything than every other
language.  There are application domains where C is still the best
answer; there are application domains where anything *but* C is the
best answer.

There are domains where the only choices are C and assembler. I would
probably choose C in those circumstances.

Richard Bos

user923005 said:
If you need something with a standardized GUI that works almost
everywhere, Java is pretty hard to beat.

s/works almost/almost works/, TYVM.

Richard