Why is the first line of my <TD> indented?

OccasionalFlyer

I am constructing a web page that is bibliography of recent
publications of members of my scholarly organization. I decided the
best way to do this (I'm open to alternatives) was to make a table
with no visible border for each person (I want it to look more like a
bibliography and less like a web page in this case, if you know what I
mean. I thought that simply putting an entry, title, publisher
location, publisher, date, into a TD would get me an entry in which
every line would start in the same column. Instead, the first line is
indented. I can fix this if I use <p> but that put unwanted blank
lines in. I've tried align="left" on both the tr and the td. In the
code below, it is the fourth <tr>(which starts with "The Extent") that
shows the problem at this URL: http://www.ibr-bbr.org/IBR_Member_Publications.aspx

size: medium;">
Allen, David L.
<i>Hebrews</i>. New American Commentary 35. Nashville:
Broadman &amp; Holman, 2010.
<i>The Authorship of Hebrews: The Case for Luke</i>. Nashville:
B&amp;H Academic, 2010.
100%;">
“The Extent of the Atonement: Limited or Universal?” in
<i>Whosoever Will: A Biblical and Theological Critique of Five-Point
Calvinism</i>. Eds. David L. Allen and Steve
Lemke. Nashville: B&amp;H Academic 2010.
“The Method of Text-Driven Preaching” in <i>Text-Driven Preaching:
God’s Word at
the Heart of Every Sermon</i>. Eds. Danny Akin, David L. Allen, Ned
Matthews. B&amp;H Academic, July 2010.
“Preaching for a Great Commission Resurgence,” <i>Toward a Great
Commission<BR/>
&nbsp;&nbsp;Resurgence: Fulfilling God’s Mandate in Our Time</i>.
Eds. Chuck Lawless <BR/>
&nbsp;&nbsp;and Adam Greenway. Nashville: B&amp;H Academic, 2010. </
span>

I really want a solution that does not require adding <BR/> and &nbsp;
over and over to get what I want, as there are over 500 of these
things I have to do. Thanks.

Ken

rf

OccasionalFlyer said:
I am constructing a web page that is bibliography of recent
publications of members of my scholarly organization. I decided the
best way to do this (I'm open to alternatives) was to make a table
with no visible border for each person (I want it to look more like a
bibliography and less like a web page in this case, if you know what I
mean. I thought that simply putting an entry, title, publisher
location, publisher, date, into a TD would get me an entry in which
every line would start in the same column. Instead, the first line is
indented. I can fix this if I use <p> but that put unwanted blank
lines in. I've tried align="left" on both the tr and the td. In the
code below, it is the fourth <tr>(which starts with "The Extent") that
shows the problem at this URL:
http://www.ibr-bbr.org/IBR_Member_Publications.aspx

That was a rather complicated description of your problem.

Install firebug if you have not already. Look at the offending td.

Here you have specified text-indent for the tr.

The td inherits this text-indent.

BTW you should put all of this stuff in a stylesheet, not inline styles.
That way you can specify your font information exactly once for the entire
page.

OccasionalFlyer

That was a rather complicated description of your problem.

Install firebug if you have not already. Look at the offending td.

Here you have specified text-indent for the tr.

The td inherits this text-indent.

BTW you should put all of this stuff in a stylesheet, not inline styles.
That way you can specify your font information exactly once for the entire
page.

The reason for the text-indent is that I want the bibliographic items
indented relative to the name of the author. Is there a way to
achieve this without the first line of each TD being indented?
Thanks.

Ken

dorayme

<[email protected]
m>,
OccasionalFlyer said:
[...]

If you are not going to have a proper semantic table where the
author is on one cell and the details of his publications in
another cell on the same row, there is really no point in you
using a table here. It is a wasted complication if all you want
is the look of author and underneath the publications.

Much more semantic and much easier css and cleaner html to be had
on some variation of this:

<http://dorayme.netweaver.com.au/publications.html>

idle

[...]

Godÿs Word at
the Heart of Every Sermon</i>. Eds. Danny Akin, David L. Allen, Ned
Matthews. B&amp;H Academic, July 2010.
´Preaching for a Great Commission Resurgence,¡ <i>Toward a Great
Commission<BR/>
&nbsp;&nbsp;Resurgence: Fulfilling Godÿs Mandate in Our Time</i>.
Eds. Chuck Lawless <BR/>
&nbsp;&nbsp;and Adam Greenway. Nashville: B&amp;H Academic, 2010. </
span>

I really want a solution that does not require adding <BR/> and &nbsp;
over and over to get what I want, as there are over 500 of these
things I have to do. Thanks.

Ken

Given the organisation is Biblical Research, I think you'll understand when I say...
Right Click - View Source - HOLY CRAP!
;)
I really want a solution that does not require adding <BR/> and &nbsp;
over and over to get what I want, as there are over 500 of these
things I have to do. Thanks.

HTML won't validate. CSS neither, tho I suspect those errors are minor.
You're using two sets of the very same navigation scheme (???), and the top wraps badly the minute the viewport gets smaller.
You've got inline style sets that don't even get used ;)
You've got code that's simply a lot replication and a waste.
Design, code and deployment is so... a few years ago ;)

It really comes down to this.
How much is your time worth?
Dora gave you the clue :eek::
Hire a designer to clean it up and make is a strict doc with clean code and well commented.
From there, you'll be able to update with a simple txt editor.

Or.. let us know in a couple weeks when you're finished up with all the stuff so we can report what still may be messy.

idle

Given the organisation is Biblical Research, I think you'll understand when I say...
Right Click - View Source - HOLY CRAP!
;)

HTML won't validate. CSS neither, tho I suspect those errors are minor.
You're using two sets of the very same navigation scheme (???), and the top wraps badly the minute the viewport gets smaller.
You've got inline style sets that don't even get used ;)
You've got code that's simply a lot replication and a waste.
Design, code and deployment is so... a few years ago ;)

It really comes down to this.
How much is your time worth?
Dora gave you the clue :eek::
Hire a designer to clean it up and make is a strict doc with clean code and well commented.
From there, you'll be able to update with a simple txt editor.

Or.. let us know in a couple weeks when you're finished up with all the stuff so we can report what still may be messy.

Oh.
And in case you go to the home at the link, http://dorayme.netweaver.com.au/, there's a boat load there that can quickly give
you examples to do most of what you need.

For the adventurous... can you find the hidden nudies?

Denis McMahon

I am constructing a web page ....

HTML Validator ( <http://validator.w3.org/> ) reports the following errors:

1. Error Line 8, Column 69: document type does not allow element
"meta" here

2. Error Line 237, Column 33: end tag for "tr" which is not finished

3. Error Line 256, Column 6: element "BR" undefined

<BR/>

4. Error Line 261, Column 7: element "BR" undefined

<BR/>

5. Error Line 262, Column 8: element "BR" undefined

<BR/>

6. Error Line 265, Column 18: an attribute value specification must
be an attribute value literal unless SHORTTAG YES is specified

7. Error Line 267, Column 9: document type does not allow element
"td" here

8. Error Line 268, Column 8: end tag for "td" omitted, but OMITTAG NO
was specified

10. Error Line 268, Column 8: end tag for "td" omitted, but OMITTAG NO
was specified

12. Error Line 273, Column 14: an attribute value literal can occur in
an attribute specification list only after a VI delimiter

13. Error Line 331, Column 9: element "BR" undefined

<BR/>

14. Error Line 334, Column 18: an attribute value specification must
be an attribute value literal unless SHORTTAG YES is specified

15. Error Line 336, Column 9: document type does not allow element
"td" here

16. Error Line 337, Column 8: end tag for "td" omitted, but OMITTAG NO
was specified

18. Error Line 337, Column 8: end tag for "td" omitted, but OMITTAG NO
was specified

20. Error Line 342, Column 16: an attribute value literal can occur in
an attribute specification list only after a VI delimiter

21. Error Line 357, Column 6: element "BR" undefined

<BR/>

22. Error Line 358, Column 7: element "BR" undefined

<BR/>

I suggest you fix the html errors, doing this may mysteriously solve
your other problem.

Rgds

Denis McMahon

dorayme

And in case you go to the home of (the link dorayme gave for OccosionalFlyer)
there's a boat load there that can quickly give
you examples to do most of what you need.

The *relevant* link is

<http://dorayme.netweaver.com.au/publications.html>

I was suggesting something along this line might be better for
the OP, he invited suggestions for alternatives.
For the adventurous... can you find the hidden nudies?

I beg your pardon? What nudes? Is Jessica Rabbit flaunting about?

(btw way, my name cannot be shortened to "Dora" for two reasons,
I am a very modern ET and Dora is a very old fashioned name. They
say it is French but I say it is the name of the salt of the
earth Brit char lady who gets off the Clapham omnibus between
1920 and 1955 to go work for some upper middle class family in
East Clapham (this is west of East Cheam where Tony Hancock used
to hang out till he came to Australia to top himself) hauling a
bucket and mop up to the second floor. The second reason is that
it is not "D" but "d". Just btw, mind you.)

idle

The *relevant* link is

<http://dorayme.netweaver.com.au/publications.html>

I was suggesting something along this line might be better for
the OP, he invited suggestions for alternatives.

I beg your pardon? What nudes? Is Jessica Rabbit flaunting about?

(btw way, my name cannot be shortened to "Dora" for two reasons,
I am a very modern ET and Dora is a very old fashioned name. They
say it is French but I say it is the name of the salt of the
earth Brit char lady who gets off the Clapham omnibus between
1920 and 1955 to go work for some upper middle class family in
East Clapham (this is west of East Cheam where Tony Hancock used
to hang out till he came to Australia to top himself) hauling a
bucket and mop up to the second floor. The second reason is that
it is not "D" but "d". Just btw, mind you.)

You know, part of the scheme is to, like, not give up the prize beforehand.

My experience? Tell 'em there's nudies, they read ;)

The Dora thing was a nod to the Amelican Dora the Explorer ;)

richard

[...]

For something like that, you might want to look into using <ul><li>.
<ul>
<li> name</li>
<li> title </li>
<li> publisher </li>
<li> date </li>
</ul>

display inline and it will look like a table.

rf

richard said:
For something like that, you might want to look into using <ul><li>.
<ul>
<li> name</li>
<li> title </li>
<li> publisher </li>
<li> date </li>
</ul>

display inline and it will look like a table.

What?

RtS, it will *look* exactly the same as:
name title publisher date

Nothing like a table.

richard

Someone asked in another group about some problems with their page.
St00pid then pointed them to a non existent URL saying it was the W3
validator, and to fix their errors.

Funny thing is, st00pid's site has just as many errors.

Funny thing is, Evan is a liar as usual. The page in question had 66 errors
and 10 warnings. My site only had 3 errors. Two of which were no alt tags
for the images.

richard

LOL! He probably thinks it makes him sound smart to repeat advice he
doesn't understand.

sherm--

And that makes evan an expert?
The item mentioned by evan can be found in 24hoursupport.helpdesk.
The guy was asking why information he put in tables weren't showing
properly. When he was trying to create a table with no data cells.
I pointed out it was necessary to include the data in <td> tags.
I also kindly pointed out that his page failed to validate because it had
so many errors and warnings.
Apparently, evan thinks that validating is a joke. Any page I write will
validate. If it's only a question of no alt tags for images, I don't give a
shit because most browsers today don't either.

richard

Someone asked in another group about some problems with their page.
St00pid then pointed them to a non existent URL saying it was the W3
validator, and to fix their errors.

Funny thing is, st00pid's site has just as many errors.

http://validator.w3.org/
that's non-existant huh?

Phillip Jones

Evan said:
He's always been a liar. I can't even count the times he's tried to
say that I said something I didn't. And about a dozen people would
step up and tell him he's st00pid and I never said what he's claiming
I said. But he's a persistent st00pid redneck.

Here is the correct URL :

http://validator.w3.org/