why only an msi-installer for windows ?

Stef Mientki

hello,

having a lot of trouble installing 2.5 (without affecting my stable 2.4),
I wonder why there's only a msi installer for windows users ?

thanks,
Stef

Gabriel Genellina

having a lot of trouble installing 2.5 (without affecting my stable 2.4),
I wonder why there's only a msi installer for windows users ?

What's your problem? I have five versions installed (2.1, 2.3, 2.4,
2.5 and svn) and they coexist peacefully. Just make sure when
installing 2.5: a) use a different directory (obviously!) b) don't
associate .py extension with this new version.
Regarding the standard library, Python tries to locate it based on
where the executable (python.exe) resides, so this should not be a
problem. Better if you don't set a PYTHONPATH environment variable
(usually there is no need to do that; if required, you can extend the
search path using .pth files instead)

Stef Mientki

Gabriel said:
What's your problem? I have five versions installed (2.1, 2.3, 2.4,
2.5 and svn) and they coexist peacefully. Just make sure when
installing 2.5: a) use a different directory (obviously!) b) don't
associate .py extension with this new version.

So how do you prevent that the windows registry is changed,
if you're using an msi installer ?
Or do you use another install technique ?.
Or do you don't mind that the registry is changed by an installation ?
Regarding the standard library, Python tries to locate it based on
where the executable (python.exe) resides, so this should not be a
problem. Better if you don't set a PYTHONPATH environment variable
(usually there is no need to do that; if required, you can extend the
search path using .pth files instead)
Yes I've to study that once.
As a REAL windows user,
I know nothing about registry, environment variables, associating files etc,
Bill is always doing that for me !! ;-)

cheers,
Stef

Martin v. Löwis

having a lot of trouble installing 2.5 (without affecting my stable
So how do you prevent that the windows registry is changed,
if you're using an msi installer ?

Just unselect "Register Extensions" ("Make this Python installation
the default Python installation") when installing the MSI file, if
you don't want .py be associated with this installation.
Or do you use another install technique ?.
Or do you don't mind that the registry is changed by an installation ?

It's indeed no problem whatsoever to modify the registry. Different
Python versions use different registry keys, so they don't conflict.
Yes I've to study that once.
As a REAL windows user,
I know nothing about registry, environment variables, associating files
etc,
Bill is always doing that for me !! ;-)

And so is Python. Just install the MSI file, and don't worry.

Regards,
Martin

Stef Mientki

Martin said:
Just unselect "Register Extensions" ("Make this Python installation
the default Python installation") when installing the MSI file, if
you don't want .py be associated with this installation.
Thanks I missed that setting.
Never seen before that this tree was used to prevent register changes.
A beautiful example of bad GUI ;-)

cheers,
Stef