Why Some Extended ASCIIs Can't Be Typed

Robert Meng

Can someone tell me why some extended ascii characters can not be
typed using Alt + {num} method in VB or VC++ code editor. For exmaple,
Alt+225 shows 'ß' but Alt+224 shows 'a' instead of (alpha character)
in both VB6 and VC++ 6.0.

I'm very puzzled by this and would appreciate any help.

Thanks
Robert

Howard

Robert Meng said:
Can someone tell me why some extended ascii characters can not be
typed using Alt + {num} method in VB or VC++ code editor. For exmaple,
Alt+225 shows 'ß' but Alt+224 shows 'a' instead of (alpha character)
in both VB6 and VC++ 6.0.

I'm very puzzled by this and would appreciate any help.

Thanks
Robert

I think someone in a newsgroup devoted to the Visual Studio software, and/or
to Windows, might answer that question better than a C++ language newsgroup.

-Howard

Gernot

It depends on the font you're using,I think? Use the char-table tool from
windows and select the same font as in your IDE/APP.
Greek symbols are not in 256bit ascii.

--
Gernot Frisch.

__________________________
Looking for a good game?
Do it yourself!
GLBasic.com - you can do

osmium

Gernot said:
It depends on the font you're using,I think? Use the char-table tool from
windows and select the same font as in your IDE/APP.
Greek symbols are not in 256bit ascii.

I think it is more likely that what he showed is a German eszett than a
Greek beta :)

Gernot

I think it is more likely that what he showed is a German eszett than a
Greek beta :)

ß ?
It's 'sz' od 'ss' with new German writing.

But no alpha, gamma and so on in ASCII.

-Gernot

Thomas Matthews

Robert said:
Can someone tell me why some extended ascii characters can not be
typed using Alt + {num} method in VB or VC++ code editor. For exmaple,
Alt+225 shows 'ß' but Alt+224 shows 'a' instead of (alpha character)
in both VB6 and VC++ 6.0.

I'm very puzzled by this and would appreciate any help.

Thanks
Robert

Because last time I checked, ANSI only defined 128 characters
in its set (0 ... 127). Anything beyond that is not ASCII.

--
Thomas Matthews

C++ newsgroup welcome message:
http://www.slack.net/~shiva/welcome.txt