Why won't cookies work with my javascript under Safari?

David M. Gauntt

I have been testing some javascript for my professional society web
page, and found that I couldn't get Safari to save any cookies. No
matter what I assign to document.cookie, I get an empty string when I
read back document.cookie.

In researching this problem, I found a function on the Apple website
to test for cookies. I found that the function sometimes tells me
cookies are enabled and sometimes disabled, as follows:

1) Open the Safari Developers FAQ
(http://developer.apple.com/internet/safari/safari_faq.html)

2) Push the "Got Cookies?" button. I get the reply "You got cookies",
meaning that cookies are enabled.

3) Save the webpage to my hard disk.

4) Open the file that I just saved on the hard disk.

5) Push the "Got cookies?" button. I now get the reply "No cookies",
meaning that cookies are disabled.

Is there anything weird one must do to a website to get cookies to
work under Safari?

- David Gauntt

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

David said:
1) Open the Safari Developers FAQ
(http://developer.apple.com/internet/safari/safari_faq.html)

2) Push the "Got Cookies?" button. I get the reply "You got cookies",
meaning that cookies are enabled.

3) Save the webpage to my hard disk.

4) Open the file that I just saved on the hard disk.

5) Push the "Got cookies?" button. I now get the reply "No cookies",
meaning that cookies are disabled.

Is there anything weird one must do to a website to get cookies to
work under Safari?

No. Cookies tend not to work with "file:" URIs in Web browsers,
particularly "file:" URIs do not support a domain part that would
be used to identify the domain of which resources are allowed to
read the cookie.

PointedEars