Wierd session state error

Cirene

In my web.config I added <pages enableSessionState="true">.

In each of my pages I also added EnableSessionState="True" to the Page
declaration.

(I didn't think this was necessary, but...)

Any reason why even though I did this I keep getting this error....

Server Error in '/abc' Application.

Session state can only be used when enableSessionState is set to true,
either in a configuration file or in the Page directive. Please also make
sure that System.Web.SessionStateModule or a custom session state module is
included in the <configuration>\<system.web>\<httpModules> section in the
application configuration.

Exception Details: System.Web.HttpException: Session state can only be used
when enableSessionState is set to true, either in a configuration file or in
the Page directive. Please also make sure that System.Web.SessionStateModule
or a custom session state module is included in the
<configuration>\<system.web>\<httpModules> section in the application
configuration.

Source Error:

Line 3: Inherits System.Web.UI.Page
Line 4:
Line 5: Dim c As abcshoppingcart = Session("Cart")
Line 6:
Line 7: Protected Sub Page_Load(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As
System.EventArgs) Handles Me.Load

Source File: F:\work-related\websites\abc\Projects.aspx.vb Line: 5

Stack Trace:

[HttpException (0x80004005): Session state can only be used when
enableSessionState is set to true, either in a configuration file or in the
Page directive. Please also make sure that System.Web.SessionStateModule or
a custom session state module is included in the
<configuration>\<system.web>\<httpModules> section in the application
configuration.]
System.Web.UI.Page.get_Session() +2634804
Projects..ctor() in F:\work-related\websites\abc\Projects.aspx.vb:5
ASP.projects_aspx..ctor() in
F:\work-related\websites\abc\Projects.aspx.vb:912304
__ASP.FastObjectFactory_app_web_kwdoldj8.Create_ASP_projects_aspx() +47
System.Web.Compilation.BuildResultCompiledType.CreateInstance() +32
System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.CreateInstanceFromVirtualPath(VirtualPath
virtualPath, Type requiredBaseType, HttpContext context, Boolean
allowCrossApp, Boolean noAssert) +119
System.Web.UI.PageHandlerFactory.GetHandlerHelper(HttpContext context,
String requestType, VirtualPath virtualPath, String physicalPath) +33
System.Web.UI.PageHandlerFactory.System.Web.IHttpHandlerFactory2.GetHandler(HttpContext
context, String requestType, VirtualPath virtualPath, String physicalPath)
+40
System.Web.HttpApplication.MapHttpHandler(HttpContext context, String
requestType, VirtualPath path, String pathTranslated, Boolean useAppConfig)
+160
System.Web.MapHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute()
+93
completedSynchronously) +155

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

Is this the extent of your session state tag?
<pages enableSessionState="true">

If so, that is your problem. You have to specify what type of state (most
likely inProc here) and potentially set a few other values as well. Here is
an example of using SQL Server:

<sessionState
mode="SQLServer"
sqlConnectionString="data source=db1;user
id=db1User;password=password"
cookieless="false"
timeout="20"
/>

Cirene said:
[...]

Jeff Dillon

Instead of using a shoppingcart object in Session, have you tested with a
simple string value?

Cirene said:
[...]

It works fine with a simple string. So the problem must be with storing the
object in Session. Any ideas why I can't do this?

the abcshoppingcart is basically defined as this...

Public Class abcshoppingcart
Public Customer as new abccustomer
Public Product as List(of abcproduct)
End Class

Any ideas? Thanks!

Cirene said:
[...]

physicalPath) +40
System.Web.HttpApplication.MapHttpHandler(HttpContext context, String
requestType, VirtualPath path, String pathTranslated, Boolean
useAppConfig) +160

System.Web.MapHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute()
+93
completedSynchronously) +155

George

Cirene said:
[...]

I think you problem is in this code (Line 5).

Line 3: Inherits System.Web.UI.Page
Line 4:
Line 5: Dim c As abcshoppingcart = Session("Cart")
Line 6:
Line 7: Protected Sub Page_Load(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As
System.EventArgs) Handles Me.Load

Question to you: When do you think Line 5 is executed. Answer "no clue" is
bad answer.

When you page (or any object) is created .NET runtime follows following
steps
1. Memory allocated for the object.
2. Memory is initialized according to the defaults or what you wrote (like
you did in line 5). so if you declared member variable Int it's initialized
with 0 unless you wrote Dim k as Int = 4
Then it's initialized with 4.
3. Constructor called.

Only after that object is 'declared' created and we or ASP.NET might start
working with it. IE assign member variables like Session, Page, Request,
Response...

The method PreInit called, then Init.....

so if you want to access Session object you must do it much later... Like in
Page_Load event for example.

George.