Will creating a subdomain necessarily interfere with my main index.html?

InertEmployer

I have a main web site which I created using FrontPage some time ago.
Although it is VERY old (it looks a bit like those old text-based pre-
WWW academic sites!!), I have no need to change it.

My hosting company lets me create any number of subdomains and I have
created one using iWeb (eg newreason.mysite.com). For some reason I
cant understand, the hosting company's control panel associates a sub-
domain with an e-mail address as opposed to the site itself?? In any
event I cant figure out how to upload the pages in the sub-domain to
the host's servers and they don't appear to have any technical support
at the moment. When I try to upload pages to the subdomain, the
servers reports a problem with my password. I am trying to get this
resolved.

The reason for my post is that I was wondering whether uploading pages
in this way to my subdomain creates an index.html for that subdomain
in the root of newreason.mysite.com or does it interfere with all the
HTML in the domain's main index.html? 'Cos if it does, it sounds as if
creating a subdomain with iWeb within a site created with FrontPage
could be a nightmare? When I first created the site, I simply
imported an even earlier site into FrontPage but there doesnt seem to
be a way of importing my site into iWeb so that it both preserves (or
properly creates) the domain's index.html and lets there be a sub-
domain within/out it.

Or is the only way of doing this to re-install FrontPage onto my
computer, download the present site to my computer, upload iWeb's sub-
domain to the web and then download the sub-domain to my computer's
installed Front Page again? (then I won't, of course, be able to edit
the 'new' site in iWeb).

I dont need anything fancy whatsoever: The subdomain's pages are all
text pages which have to be shown in a certain (original) format
which shouldn't be changed and I cant jazz them up in any way beyond
having a comments box at the end of each document and implementing
Google AdSense on each page. All I need is to be able to add pages,
change and/or add to the text occasionally.

cwdjrxyz

[...]

The problem is that there are many variations in how web hosts are set
up, and I have no idea how the one you use works. What kind of servers
does it use, how is the control panel set up, what does it support,
etc. Most hosts have a detailed description of these things available
to users, and some also allow the general public to view this
description. I have 2 domains and a subdomain of one of them also. The
control panel for my account. allows setting up a new subdomain in the
first place, following host instructions. The two domains and
subdomain are all listed at the same level when you go to the control
panel and navigate to where domains are listed. You can select the
subdomain to set up any desired mail accounts much as you set up mail
accounts for a domain. I upload from the computer using ftp. You can
also edit a page directly on the server if you do not need to upload a
complete new page. Some support FrontPage, and some do not. I never
use FrontPage because I prefer to write my web pages the way I want
them. Without a detailed description of how to manage your account
written by the host or without direct help from the host, it could be
very difficult and time consuming to decide what you need to do.

InertEmployer

[...]

Yes, I agree but what about the index.html point firstly please? If I
upload all sorts of pages to the sub-domain (all of which are
independent of what is on the main domain) will it alter the main
index.html file and render the domain invisible, - because iWeb has
inputted no pages for the domain, - only the sub-domain? Put another
way, as far as I am aware (i.e. not much) there is only one root and
that is where the site's index.html file is: Does a subdomain have its
own index.html file?

Ben Bacarisse

[...] Put another
way, as far as I am aware (i.e. not much) there is only one root and
that is where the site's index.html file is: Does a subdomain have its
own index.html file?

Yes, it should. And uploading files to one domain should not affect
another even when one is a sub-domain of the other. All of this, of
course, is about how things *should* work. It's possible that your
hosting company has entangled things in such a way that this is not what
happens, but since I can't see any advantage to messing things up like
that, it seems fair to assume that it works as it should unless you come
across evidence that it does not. Sites with different domain names
should be entirely separate unless you take special steps to interlink
them is some way.

dorayme

<[email protected]
m>,
InertEmployer said:
I cant figure out how to upload the pages in the sub-domain to
the host's servers and they don't appear to have any technical support
at the moment. When I try to upload pages to the subdomain, the
servers reports a problem with my password. I am trying to get this
resolved.

How did you create the subdomain in the first place? What do your
main domain server files look like in an FTP software browser
window, is there a folder there with the name of the subdomain
and can you look in this folder to see what is already there (if
anything)?

Jonathan N. Little

dorayme said:
<[email protected]
m>,

How did you create the subdomain in the first place? What do your
main domain server files look like in an FTP software browser
window, is there a folder there with the name of the subdomain
and can you look in this folder to see what is already there (if
anything)?

It all has to do with the server configuration. The hosting company may
have a user web interface control panel but it still boils down the what
server path is associated with the document root for each subdomain. The
could vary depending on the hosting company, and you should take it up
with their support.

Example:

Subdomain Document Root
--------------- ---------------------------------------------
www.example.com /server101/users/yourprofile/www
foo.example.com /server101/users/yourprofile/foo-site
bar.example.com /server101/users/yourprofile/bar-site
baz.example.com /server101/users/yourprofile/somewhere/else

Put a index.html

'/server1010/users/yourprofile/www' folder and that is what will show
with 'http://www/example.com'

Put another index.html file in '/server101/users/yourprofile/bar-site'
and that is the one that will be displayed for 'http://bar.example.com'.
One will have no interference with any other if the the document roots
point to different folders...

InertEmployer

[...]

Well I think i have everything worked out: Turns out there was a
problem with the servers which werent accepting my password despite it
being entered correctly and then when I tried to upload the whole
site, MS Word was putting some piece of code into one of the first
pages which was preventing the site accepting any further files
uploading. The only way to get past that file was to paste it into
notepad and cut and paste the whole page back into iWeb.

THen everything worked. Now I have to work out which program to use
permanently to modify the sub-domain as necessary. I dont necessarily
trust iWeb as it is probably just about to be phased out with MobileMe.

Jonathan N. Little

InertEmployer said:
site, MS Word was putting some piece of code into one of the first
pages which was preventing the site accepting any further files
uploading. The only way to get past that file was to paste it into
notepad and cut and paste the whole page back into iWeb.

MS Word (in fact ANY MS office product) is not suitable for web
development, except for the very very limited role in the composition,
spell check, and grammar check of the textual content (absolutely
sans-formatting).

InertEmployer

MS Word (in fact ANY MS office product) is not suitable for web
development, except for the very very limited role in the composition,
spell check, and grammar check of the textual content (absolutely
sans-formatting).

Yes, I think I learned that the hard way. And I thought that the whole
point of creating a document format which was incompatible with lots
of other programs (the .docx format as opposed to the .doc one of
earlier Office programs) was to facilitate web optimisation etc

Jonathan N. Little

InertEmployer said:
Yes, I think I learned that the hard way. And I thought that the whole
point of creating a document format which was incompatible with lots
of other programs (the .docx format as opposed to the .doc one of
earlier Office programs) was to facilitate web optimisation etc

docx uses XML to be "compatible" with ODF, but XML does not necessarily
mean "web compatible"...the flame thread on HTML vs XHTML can attest.
But to underscore what MS Word can do (without all kinds of fussing) as
a web page editor see how a simple HTML bloats when saved in Word.

##### Hand-coded:

<head>

<title>Simple Page</title>

body { font: large normal sans-serif; color: #000; background: #fee; }
em { color: #f00;}

</head>
when edited in MS Word</p>

##### Word bloat:

xmlns:eek:="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice"
xmlns:w="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:word"
xmlns="http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40">

<head>
<link rel=File-List href="Simple2_files/filelist.xml">
<title>Simple Page</title>
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:DocumentProperties>
<o:Author>Jonathan N Little</o:Author>
<o:LastAuthor>Jonathan N Little</o:LastAuthor>
<o:Revision>2</o:Revision>
<o:TotalTime>0</o:TotalTime>
<o:Created>2011-08-31T14:11:00Z</o:Created>
<o:LastSaved>2011-08-31T14:11:00Z</o:LastSaved>
<o:pages>1</o:pages>
<o:Words>10</o:Words>
<o:Characters>61</o:Characters>
<o:Company>Little Works Studio</o:Company>
<o:Lines>1</o:Lines>
<o:paragraphs>1</o:paragraphs>
<o:CharactersWithSpaces>70</o:CharactersWithSpaces>
<o:Version>10.6870</o:Version>
</o:DocumentProperties>
<w:WordDocument>
<w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel>
</w:WordDocument>
</xml><![endif]-->
<!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
{font-family:"normal sans-serif";
panose-1:0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0;
mso-font-alt:"Times New Roman";
mso-font-charset:0;
mso-generic-font-family:roman;
mso-font-format:eek:ther;
mso-font-pitch:auto;
mso-font-signature:0 0 0 0 0 0;}
/* Style Definitions */
{mso-style-parent:"";
margin:0in;
margin-bottom:.0001pt;
mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
font-size:12.0pt;
font-family:"Times New Roman";
mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";}
em
{color:red;}
{font-size:12.0pt;
font-family:"Times New Roman";
mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";}
@page Section1
{size:8.5in 11.0in;
margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in;
mso-header-margin:.5in;
mso-footer-margin:.5in;
mso-paper-source:0;}
div.Section1
{page:Section1;}
-->
<!--[if gte mso 10]>
/* Style Definitions */
table.MsoNormalTable
{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
mso-style-noshow:yes;
mso-style-parent:"";
mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;
mso-para-margin:0in;
mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:"Times New Roman";}
<![endif]-->
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext="edit" spidmax="2050"/>
<o:shapelayout v:ext="edit">
<o:idmap v:ext="edit" data="1"/>
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]-->
</head>

sans-serif";color:black'>A
sans-serif"'>very</span></em><span
style='font-size:18.0pt;font-family:"normal sans-serif";color:black'> simple
page that gets </span><em><span
style='font-size:18.0pt;font-family:"normal sans-serif"'>bloated
to the max</span></em><span style='font-size:18.0pt;font-family:"normal
sans-serif";
color:black'> when edited in MS Word<o:p></o:p></span></p>

##### Still mucked up when using MS Word;s "Filter HTML" feature:

<head>
<title>Simple Page</title>

<!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
{font-family:"normal sans-serif";
panose-1:0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0;}
/* Style Definitions */
{margin:0in;
margin-bottom:.0001pt;
font-size:12.0pt;
font-family:"Times New Roman";}
em
{color:red;}
{font-size:12.0pt;
font-family:"Times New Roman";}
@page Section1
{size:8.5in 11.0in;
margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in;}
div.Section1
{page:Section1;}
-->

</head>

sans-serif";color:black'>A
sans-serif"'>very</span></em><span
style='font-size:18.0pt;font-family:"normal sans-serif";color:black'> simple
page that gets </span><em><span
style='font-size:18.0pt;font-family:"normal sans-serif"'>bloated
to the max</span></em><span style='font-size:18.0pt;font-family:"normal
sans-serif";
color:black'> when edited in MS Word</span></p>