window.open() and unwanted session state (urgent)

Tomasz J

Hello Developers!

A lot has been written about Java Script window.open() function and lost
session state.
But the most recent version of IE seems to handle it correctly.

But now I have an opposite problem: how to open a new browser window so it
*does not* share the session state with the first (parent) window?

I have a web application which must open a new popup window, but new session
must be created.

OK, I *cannot* use cookie-less sessions.

I already tried using a special page and loading popup content into either
<frameset> or <iframe>. I tried modifying URL slightly by adding a subdomain
(eg. popup.domain.com). All for nothing - IE7 always carries session ID to
the new window.

Please help before I pull all my hairs out.

Tomasz J

Peter Bromberg [C# MVP]

The problem is that when you open a new browser window to the site, the
session cookie is still there (after all, it's the same client). So, there's
no easy way around this. What you could try is in the window that is opened
via script, have that page with the enableSessionState="false" directive in
the @Page declaration.

--Peter
"Inside every large program, there is a small program trying to get out."
http://www.eggheadcafe.com
http://petesbloggerama.blogspot.com
http://www.blogmetafinder.com

bruce barker

popup.domain.com should work unless the cookie domain is *.domain.com

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Walter Wang [MSFT]

Hi Tomasz,

Could you please depict more about why you need to make the new browser
window *does not* share the session state with the first (parent) window?
If you need to do this because session state locking, then disabling or use
read-only session state in the new browser window should work for you.

Regards,
Microsoft Online Community Support