Windows Authentication not working for all machines

tshad

I have my windows authentication on our intranet set up as:

<authentication mode="Windows"/>

This works for 15 machines at work fine. Doesn't ask you to logon. It uses
the logon credentials the user used to logon originally

There are 4 machines that it asks for logon credentials (even though they
have already logged on). Obviously, the credentials are valid or they
wouldn't be able to log on to their local machines.

But on these machine it doesn't take the logon credentials.

They have tried using their user name and password as well as Domain/User
and Password. They cannot get in

What would cause just these 4 machines to have the same problem?

Thanks,

Tom

John Timney \(MVP\)

Could be a range of things really. Assuming they are using passthrough
authentication in their browsers I would look first to see if they are going
through a proxy server which is consuming their credentials and not passing
forward.

You could always get one of them to login to the server using their
credentials to eliminate any client issues and narrow it down to a group
permissions problem.

Regards

John Timney (MVP)

tshad

John Timney (MVP) said:
Could be a range of things really. Assuming they are using passthrough
authentication in their browsers I would look first to see if they are
going through a proxy server which is consuming their credentials and not
passing forward.

There is no proxy server.

I just found out that we had to add an entry to the Intranet Sites from the
Security tab of IE. I just added *.ft.com and it should work.

This fixed 2 of the 4 machines.

We still have 2 machines where it doesn't work.
You could always get one of them to login to the server using their
credentials to eliminate any client issues and narrow it down to a group
permissions problem.

This is what is confusing. They are already logging on their own machines
and it works fine.

Which server would they log onto? Wouldn't that server also need them to be
set up as local user.

I did take one of the users and added their credentials to my machine and
they were able to log on fine.

Thanks,

Tom

tshad

tshad said:
There is no proxy server.

I just found out that we had to add an entry to the Intranet Sites from
the Security tab of IE. I just added *.ft.com and it should work.

This fixed 2 of the 4 machines.

We still have 2 machines where it doesn't work.

On these 2 machines, we ARE able to logon using Domain\User and Password.

But they are having to login over and over each time they go that page.

Tom