Windows: Rakudo-Star Perl6 now available as *.msi

Dilbert

Hello everybody,

I am a Windows user and I always wanted to run Rakudo-Star Perl 6, but
I couldn't get the installation / compile from source to run on my
Windows 7 box (32 bits). I grew more and more frustrated.

Then I came across a posting "Windows .msi available for Rakudo Star
2012.07" by pmichaud on http://rakudo.org/2012/07/30/windows-msi-available-for-rakudo-star-2012-07/
and I installed the Rakudo *.msi file (which is a really simple one-
click installation process) and it worked perfectly.

I thought that Windows people on comp.lang.perl.misc are interested to
know that they too can now run Rakudo-Star Perl 6.

Tim McDaniel

Dilbert said:
I am a Windows user and I always wanted to run Rakudo-Star Perl 6

I've certainly heard of the Perl 6 effort. How's it coming in
general? As for "Rakudo-Star Perl 6" in particular, how useful is it
-- mostly featureful or only a few? production quality or buggy?

Dilbert

I've certainly heard of the Perl 6 effort.  How's it coming in
general?  As for "Rakudo-Star Perl 6" in particular, how useful is it
-- mostly featureful or only a few?  production quality or buggy?

I am just a beginner perl 6 user (and an average perl 5 user), but
judging by the comments of http://rakudo.org/ I would say that "Rakudo-
Star Perl 6" is useful but not yet production quality. I don't think
it is buggy, but some features are missing, see also
http://rakudo.org/2012/07/28/rakudo-star-2012-07-released/

++ There are some key features of Perl 6 that
++ Rakudo Star does not yet handle appropriately,
++ although they will appear in upcoming releases.
++ Some of the not-quite-there features include:
++
++ * macros
++ * threads and concurrency
++ * Unicode strings at levels other than codepoints
++ * interactive readline that understands Unicode
++ * non-blocking I/O
++ * much of Synopsis 9
++
++ There is a new online resource at
++ http://perl6.org/compilers/features that lists
++ the known implemented and missing features of
++ Rakudo Star 2012.07 and other Perl 6 implementations.