wish list for python

Discussion in 'Python' started by Jim Newton, Oct 24, 2003.

  1. Jim Newton

    Jim Newton Guest

    does anyone know where i can find the current wish-list or to-do list
    for futer python releases?

    Does anyone know if there is a play to allow non-evaluatable statements
    to return values? I'm only a week to this language so far but it
    seems very strange to me (coming from a list background) that i cannot
    somehow say
    x = if a:
    then b
    else c

    or

    x = for i in some-sequence:
    blah blah blah.

    and what about something like the following?

    x = cond:
    a > 1:
    0
    a > 10:
    1
    a > 100:
    2
    True:
    -1

    ????
    -jim

    Jim Newton, Oct 24, 2003

  2. Python Enhancement Proposals:

    http://python.org/peps/

    and the SourceForge bug/patch trackers:

    http://sourceforge.net/bugs/?group_id=5470
    http://sourceforge.net/patch/?group_id=5470

    And failing all else, try searching the comp.lang.python archives :)
    For this particular expression, see PEP 308 (which has been rejected).
    I'm not sure what this is meant to mean, but I suspect PEP 289 would provide
    what you're after.
    See the second proposed solution in PEP 275, which is still listed as "Open"
    -- but Guido doesn't seem keen on the idea:
    http://www.python.org/doc/essays/pepparade.html

    Besides, this particular example is probably better written as:
    try:
    x = int(math.log10(a))
    except (OverflowError, ValueError):
    x = -1

    -Andrew.

    Andrew Bennetts, Oct 24, 2003

  3. Emile van Sebille, Oct 24, 2003
  4. http://www.python.org/peps/

    David Eppstein, Oct 24, 2003
  5. Jim Newton

    Dave Kuhlman Guest

    Jim Newton wrote:

    [snip]
    Python has "list comprehensions" for this. Consider:
    ... return x * 3
    For more info see: ... Well, I searched but could not find any
    documentation on list comprehensions. I suppose that's the
    problem with putting every feature anyone asks for into a
    language.

    At one time, we had a nice, understandable language that even I
    could learn. Sigh.

    "I used to love her"

    I used to wake up each morning, get my breakfast in bed.
    When I had some worries she would ease my aching head.
    Now she runs around, with every man in town.
    Still trying to take me for that same old clown.
    Because I used to love her. But, it's all over now.

    -- The Animals

    Adde parvum parvo magnus acervus erit.
    [Add little to little and there will be a big pile.]

    -- Ovid, quoted from "The mythical man-month", Frederick Brooks,
    Chapter 5, "The second-system effect"

    I admit it. I'm a little grouchy this morning. My work on this
    parser thing is not going so well.

    OK. One more search and I found some documentation -- See Tutorial,
    "5.1.4 List Comprehensions":

    http://www.python.org/doc/current/tut/node7.html#SECTION007140000000000000000

    Dave

    [snap, err, I mean snip]

    Dave Kuhlman, Oct 24, 2003
  6. Jim Newton

    David Guest

    Con fecha Fri, 24 Oct 2003 06:47:27 +0200
    Try Ruby! ;-)

    David, Oct 24, 2003
  7. Skip Montanaro, Oct 24, 2003
  8. I admit it. I'm a little grouchy this morning. My work on this
    "Work performed with attachment is a shackle, whereas work performed
    with detachment does not affect the doer. He is, even while working, in
    solitude."
    -Maharshi

    python newbie, Oct 25, 2003
  9. Jim Newton

    Jules Dubois Guest

    On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 15:25:29 GMT, in article
    The Maharishi is a Python programmer? Wow!

    Jules Dubois, Oct 25, 2003