Wizard control and Google Analytics

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by David Evans, Jan 29, 2008.

  1. David Evans

    David Evans Guest

    Hi

    We are using the Wizard control on a few pages on our web site; we are also
    using Google Analytics to trac pages.

    It looks to me like the pages with the Wizard control are registering as a
    single page as teh user steps through the Wizard. This is a problem, because
    the Wizard is the purchase process, and it means we cannot see at what point
    the process is being abandonded (if it is abandonded).

    We are also using Master pages, and currently the Google site code is
    embedded in the template. One work around I can see is to not use the
    template for the Wizard based pages, then do a code rewrite of the Google
    code on each page load.. This does not sound like fun... ;-(

    Any suggestions on working around this?

    --
    David Evans
    InaPlex Limited

    David Evans, Jan 29, 2008

  2. Hi David,

    From your description, you're using Wizard Control in some of your ASP.NET
    pages and found that the Google Analytics can not tracked the step
    navigation on those pages(when user move next/previous in the wizard)
    correct?

    Base on my understanding, this is due to the natural design of the Wizard
    control which use postback to change its current Step status and the page
    url is always the same(not sure how google analytics internally identify
    page records).

    So far what I've thought is a possible workaround which may require some
    additional code for your page:

    1) I'm not sure whether same page url with different querystring parameter
    will make Google Analytics identify them as different page requests. If so,
    you can customize your Wizard control as below:

    ** convert the "StepNavigation" template to your custom one, remove the
    default Next/Previous button and add your own postback button

    ** in the postback button's click event, you manually use Response.Redirect
    to redirect to the same page but with different querystring indicate which
    step shoud the wizard control be at. (if no querystring, wizard will always
    stay at first step)

    2) If the same page url with different querystring not work, I'm afraid you
    may consider use multiple pages and each page just represent one version of
    the wizard step(have a fixed step set for the wizard on each of them) and
    your custom Wizard's step button handler will redirect the user to the
    proper page based on the current step index.

    How do you think of this?

    Sincerely,

    Steven Cheng

    Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

    ications.

    --------------------

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Jan 30, 2008

  3. David Evans

    David Evans Guest

    Hi Steven

    Thank you for responding.

    Your suggestion is good, but I do not think Gogle Analytics does track query
    strings as separate pages.

    I have to say, I am not sure that the Wizard control is worth the trouble it
    causes... :)

    Regards

    David

    David Evans, Jan 31, 2008
  4. Thanks for your reply David,

    If so, I think using multiple page may be the poential solution. Anyway, if
    you have any further questions need help, welcome to post here also.

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Feb 1, 2008