writing ajax enabled custom server control

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Building Controls' started by ton, May 28, 2008.

  1. ton

    ton Guest

    Hi,

    I found a piece of code where a textbox combined with a image url (looks
    like a month view) was AJAX enabled (with the CalendarExtender) . It works
    extremely well.
    Just clicking on the image and a small calendar appeared on the web page. I
    want to use this code to create a custom server control which can use this
    feature. I would name this control txtDateField and will use it in a
    different customserver control which shows the record of any table in a
    database. But so created that depending of the fieldtype a textbox or
    combobox or my txtDatefield would be used. Believe it, it is simple when
    ready for the rest of the development proces. Here is the code:

    <asp:TextBox runat="server" ID="Date5" />
    <asp:Image runat="Server" ID="Image1"
    ImageUrl="Calendar_scheduleHS.png" /><br />
    <ajaxToolkit:CalendarExtender ID="calendarButtonExtender"
    runat="server"
    TargetControlID="Date5"
    Format="d MMMM yyyy"
    PopupButtonID="Image1" />
    calendar; this calendar dismisses automatically when you choose a
    date)</em></div>
    Now on the webpage there is offcourse a scriptmanager. But how could this be
    fixed in a custom control. Any ideas?

    I did found some answers in a different example: it was a mediaplay ajax
    enable button (just changed the button on clicking on it) But in stead of a
    normal customserver control this control was added tot the project as a
    class file. here is som code of this class:
    Imports System
    Imports System.Data
    Imports System.Configuration
    Imports System.Web
    Imports System.Web.Security
    Imports System.Web.UI
    Imports System.Web.UI.WebControls
    Imports System.Web.UI.WebControls.WebParts
    Imports System.Web.UI.HtmlControls
    Imports System.Collections.Generic

    Namespace HDI.AJAX.Controls

    Public Class MediaPlayerButton
    Inherits Image
    Implements IScriptControl

    Private _playImageUrl As String
    Private _pauseImageUrl As String
    Private _scriptManager As ScriptManager

    Now I'm trying to put these things together in the customservercontrol. But
    I receive an error on
    "Implements IScriptControl" and
    "Private _scriptManager As ScriptManager"

    so how can i solve this

    thank you very much

    Ton

    ton, May 28, 2008