WSS - Unable to add WP to pages after.NET 2.0 upgrade

Troy Jerkins

WSS V2, SP2 running on Win Svr 2003, SP1. I've just upgraded from .NET 1.1
to 2.0.
I have multiple virtual server sites on this server using host headers with
the same IP.
I changed all my sites from .NET v1.1 to v2.0 and ran the stsadm command
listed below.

stsadm.exe -o upgrade -forceupgrade

which makes changes to the web.config file for each site referenced by this
ms article:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/894903

Now I cannot add any web parts to any zones on my existing
existing pages
except the Default First Site, which has a host header also.

I get redirected to an error page which reads:

Error

An unexpected error has occurred.
Web Parts Maintenance Page: If you have permission, you can use this page to
temporarily disable Web Parts or remove personal settings. For more
information, contact your site administrator.
Troubleshoot issues with Windows SharePoint Services.

The web.config files appear to have gotten updated properly.
Later yesterday I found that I could add web parts via FP2003 and that the
problematic sites were those that had Themes or other layout customizations
Newly created sites or subsites don't appear to be affected

Today, I removed all web parts from each zone on a page and tried to add a
webpart to a zone. I was directed to an empty page with the error below:

Invalid postback or callback argument. Event validation is enabled using
<pages enableEventValidation="true"/> in configuration or <%@ Page
EnableEventValidation="true" %> in a page. For security purposes, this
feature verifies that arguments to postback or callback events originate
from the server control that originally rendered them. If the data is valid
and expected, use the ClientScriptManager.RegisterForEventValidation method
in order to register the postback or callback data for validation.

In my web.config file the enableEventValidation directive is equal to false.
If I set it to true, I'm back to this step:
(http://support.microsoft.com/kb/894903)

Does anyone know what is causing this? Or, perhaps have any suggestions on
where to start?

Regards,

-Troy

Troy Jerkins

I just wanted to follow-up on this problem in case anyone else is pulling
their hair out.

I actually had to contact MS for this issue just before Christmas and did
get an answer. It was initially submitted as a WSS issue.

As I mentioned in the post, the only sites this appeared to be a problem
were those with customized layouts/templates. What I discovered while trying
to work with them on this problem was that all of the sites were customized,
in one way or the other, with Frontpage 2003 or any of the custom
application templates on Microsoft's site available for download.

If you have ever encoutered the ghosted/unghosted scenario that occurs by
making certain changes to a sharepoint site within Frontpage then you can
understand this problem because that is what causes it. The unghosting of a
site prior to moving to the .NET Framework 2.0.

Newly created sites using the built-in sharepoint templates work just fine
under the 2.0 framework it seems. That is why my default site was working
just fine after the upgrade. The only solution I have found is to go back to
the 1.1 framework for the unghosted sites. Microsoft stated that they don't
support and don't recommend using WSS v2 on the new framework. However v3
will be supported.

I tried to reghost those sites using reghost and ghost hunter but did not
have any success.

Hope that help.

Regards,

-Troy