"wxmsw26uh_vc.dll not found" when using wxAgg backend

Sam

Hello,

I've installed matplotlib recently because I want to add graphing
functionality to a GUI that i'm making. I decided to try using the
wxAgg backend instead of plain old wx because:
a) I hear it's quicker, and
b) when i use the wx backend, the axis labels don't seem to work
properly - i can't change their font, and the axis label always
overwrites my tickbox labels.

So i'm not too concerned about these wx problems anymore because i'm
changing to wxAgg.

Here's the problem i'd like help with.
- i import the wxAgg backends, Figurecanvas, etc.
- i run the file
- the following error box pops up: "This application has failed to
start because wxmsw26uh_vc.dll was not found. Reinstalling the
application may fix this problem."

This problem occurs even when I run the matplotlib example files that
you can download from the matplotlib homepage.
I have tried reinstalling, and that has not rectified the problem.

I googled for wxmsw26uh_vc.dll and found a small number of posts. The
following post:
https://svn.enthought.com/enthought/ticket/774
suggests that it will be "fixed in 1.0.0.rc1" which was supposedly
released a few weeks ago.
I didn't really follow the discussion of why this error is occurring, i
just want to find out how to fix it!

I'm running a windows XP machine with: python 2.4, matplotlib 87.4 and
wxPython ansi-2.6.3.3

Any help would be much appreciated
Cheers
Samantha

ajaksu

Hi Sam,
I've installed matplotlib recently because I want to add graphing
functionality to a GUI that i'm making.
Have you considered wxmpl? I'm leaning towards using it, " Painless
matplotlib embedding in wxPython" sounds good (and it even works). More
information and downloads at http://agni.phys.iit.edu/~kmcivor/wxmpl/
- the following error box pops up: "This application has failed to
start because wxmsw26uh_vc.dll was not found. Reinstalling the
application may fix this problem."
Matplotlib mailing list should give you better answers on this, but
I'll try my best :)

I have wx-2.6-msw-ansi and my DLL is wxmsw26h_vc.dll, so it seems
wxmsw26Uh_vc.dll means the Unicode version. Matplotlib examples do work
here and including "# -*- coding: utf-8 -*-" in the demo source causes
no problem.

Have you ever installed a Unicode version of wxPython? The file wx.pth
in Lib/site-packages/ should point to your default wx version (a single
line with the directory name), does it? The configuration file
matplotlibrc (in Lib\site-packages\matplotlib\mpl-data\ and somewhere
in your profile) might have something weird causing this, worth a check
IMHO.

If these don't solve the problem, installing an older wxPython might
work around any version conflicts that could exist.

Hoping this helps,
Daniel