xml : remove a node with dom

alain walter

Hello,
I have many difficulties to manipulate xml routines. I'm working with
python 2.4.4 and I cannot change to a more recent one, then I use dom
package, why not.
In the following code, I'm trying unsuccessfully to remove a
particular node. It seems to me that it should be basic, but it's
not.
Thanks for your help

toxml="<aixm:VORTimeSlice gml:id="ABB">
<aixm:type>ABB</aixm:type>
<aixm:designator>ABB</aixm:designator>
<aixm:ElevatedPoint gml:id="ABB" srsDimension="2">
<gml:pos srsDimension="2">-51.23 4.6501</gml:pos>
<aixm:elevation uom="M">xxx_toremove_xxx</aixm:elevation>
</aixm:ElevatedPoint>
</aixm:VORTimeSlice>"

from xml.dom.minidom import parse,parseString

dom = parseString(toxml)
self.ApplicationWhitespaceRemoving(dom)
print toxml

def ApplicationWhitespaceRemoving(self,ele) :
from xml.dom import Node
for c in ele.childNodes:
if c.nodeType == c.TEXT_NODE:
if c.nodeValue == "xxx_toremove_xxx":
???.removeChild(???)
elif c.nodeType == ele.ELEMENT_NODE:
self.ApplicationWhitespaceRemoving(c)

Diez B. Roggisch

alain walter said:
Hello,
I have many difficulties to manipulate xml routines. I'm working with
python 2.4.4 and I cannot change to a more recent one, then I use dom
package, why not.
In the following code, I'm trying unsuccessfully to remove a
particular node. It seems to me that it should be basic, but it's
not.
Thanks for your help

If you post code, make an attempt for it to be runnable. I had to fix
numerous simple errors to make it run & actually solve your problem.

from xml.dom.minidom import parse,parseString
from xml.dom import Node

toxml="""
<aixm:VORTimeSlice xmlns:aixm="aixm" xmlns:gml="gml" gml:id="ABB">
<aixm:type>ABB</aixm:type>
<aixm:designator>ABB</aixm:designator>
<aixm:ElevatedPoint gml:id="ABB" srsDimension="2">
<gml:pos srsDimension="2">-51.23 4.6501</gml:pos>
<aixm:elevation uom="M">xxx_toremove_xxx</aixm:elevation>
</aixm:ElevatedPoint>
</aixm:VORTimeSlice>"""

dom = parseString(toxml)

def ApplicationWhitespaceRemoving(ele) :
for c in ele.childNodes:
if c.nodeType == c.TEXT_NODE:
if c.nodeValue == "xxx_toremove_xxx":
parent = c.parentNode
parent.removeChild(c)
elif c.nodeType == ele.ELEMENT_NODE:
ApplicationWhitespaceRemoving(c)

ApplicationWhitespaceRemoving(dom)

print dom.toxml()

Stefan Behnel

alain walter, 28.10.2010 11:37:
dom = parseString(toxml)
self.ApplicationWhitespaceRemoving(dom)
print toxml

def ApplicationWhitespaceRemoving(self,ele) :
from xml.dom import Node
for c in ele.childNodes:
if c.nodeType == c.TEXT_NODE:
if c.nodeValue == "xxx_toremove_xxx":
???.removeChild(???)
elif c.nodeType == ele.ELEMENT_NODE:
self.ApplicationWhitespaceRemoving(c)

Just a comment on code style here. Functions and procedures should have
names that strongly refer to a descriptive verb, consequently starting with
a lower case letter by convention. So a better name for your procedure
above could be "removeApplicationSpecificWhitespace".

When using constants defined on a module or class, try to refer to them in
a consistent way, either by importing the names globally into your module
namespace, or by referencing them from the same namespace (e.g. class
object) everywhere. Simple, recurrent patterns help in reading your code.

Then, I don't see what the "Node" import is used for, and it looks like
your function is actually a method (called as self.xxx). When presenting
code snippets, try to make them consistent, or make it clear that (and
where) things are missing.

Hope that helps,

Stefan

alain walter

Hi,
You're right for my post code : I extract it from a more complicated
context.
However, the solution you propose produce the line <aixm:elevation
uom="M"/> not a blank line.
Finally, I've found a good solution by using :

from xml.dom.ext import PrettyPrint
from xml.dom.ext.reader.Sax2 import FromXmlStream

dom = FromXmlStream("my_file")
testRemoving(dom)
PrettyPrint(dom)

def testRemoving(self,dom) :
for node1 in dom.childNodes:
if node1.nodeType == node1.ELEMENT_NODE:
for node in node1.childNodes:
if node.nodeValue == "xxx_toremove_xxx":
dom.removeChild(node1)
testRemoving(node1)