Zipping Files on Server

Keith

Is there any way of using ASP to zip up a set of files on the remote server
and either store the resulting zip on the server and/or present it to the
user for download?

The thing that is going to cause problems - I can't install components on
the web server so need a solution that is pure code!

Thanks

Ray Costanzo [MVP]

You will not be able to do this with pure ASP. Installing Winzip and
command line support is not an option either?

You can purchase the Winzip command line add-on
(http://www.winzip.com/downcl.htm) for Winzip (http://www.winzip.com/),
"shell out" and execute the commands for the command line add-on to zip
files.

<%
sCommand = "wzzip D:\Inetpub\wwwroot\test\htmlfiles.zip
D:\Inetpub\wwwroot\test\*.htm"
Set oShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
oShell.Run sCommand, ,True
Set oShell = Nothing
Response.Write "<a href=""htmlfiles.zip"">Download zip file</a>"
%>

Ray at work

teknohippy

Is there any way of using ASP to zip up a set of files on the remote server
and either store the resulting zip on the server and/or present it to the
user for download?

The thing that is going to cause problems - I can't install components on
the web server so need a solution that is pure code!

Thanks
Plenty of zippy whotsits on aspin.

http://www.aspin.com/home/components/file/filecomp

All will need installing on the server though.

Or if your server supports .net then a .net solution will cause less
trouble on a server you don't have control of.

http://www.411asp.net/home/assembly/file/filecomp