AHB Slave Interface SPLIT requirement

Discussion in 'VHDL' started by anupam, May 29, 2006.

  1. anupam

    anupam Guest

    hi,

    I have to implement an AHB slave interface for a block..There is a
    need to implement the SPLIT response because the block hangs for few
    clock cycles and we cannot afford to loose that time.
    For the implementation of SPLIT response,all i see ,i need to implement
    is
    1) To record the master's number for each transfer,
    2)Anytime slave hangs , issue a two cycle split response and do nothing
    3)When slave is ready,provide arbiter with the split master's number .
    4)Once bus is attained,continue with the transfer.

    I am sure theres something major i am missing here because i heard
    that the implementation of SPLIT response is very much difficult .
    or in a way i am asking you the issues or the areas i need to take
    care while implementing the AHB slave interface.

    regards,
    Anupam Jain

    anupam, May 29, 2006

  2. anupam

    Tarang Guest

    Hi Anupam,
    the points you derived to implement a split response in your slave is
    fine.
    You mentioned that "..it is very dificult to implement split response
    ..."
    I think this statment not true as far as slave design is concern. If
    you are designing a slave only then you have to only take care about
    the points that you mentioned.
    The rest of load is on the bus arbiter. Arbiter has to take care,
    whenever there is split response from the slave. Once split recieved by
    it it can give the bus grant to any other slave. And if all the slaves
    given the split response then arbiter has to grant a bus to dummy
    master only.(dumy master can do only IDLE transfers).

    Hope this helps you...

    If you still have any specified doubts then post it.

    With Regards,
    Tarang.

    Tarang, May 30, 2006

  3. anupam

    anupam Guest

    Tarang wrote:
    > Hi Anupam,
    > the points you derived to implement a split response in your slave is
    > fine.
    > You mentioned that "..it is very dificult to implement split response
    > .."
    > I think this statment not true as far as slave design is concern. If
    > you are designing a slave only then you have to only take care about
    > the points that you mentioned.
    > The rest of load is on the bus arbiter. Arbiter has to take care,
    > whenever there is split response from the slave. Once split recieved by
    > it it can give the bus grant to any other slave. And if all the slaves
    > given the split response then arbiter has to grant a bus to dummy
    > master only.(dumy master can do only IDLE transfers).
    >
    > Hope this helps you...
    >
    > If you still have any specified doubts then post it.
    >
    > With Regards,
    > Tarang.

    Hi tarang,
    Thaks for the suggestion.Actually i was little tensed on reading that
    its difficult to implement the split response in AHB somewhere and so
    thought that i missed something
    Great relieve on reading your mail.I will post more doubts on the
    coming mails.

    regards,
    Anupam Jain

    anupam, May 31, 2006