[ANN] One-Click Installer 1.8.2-14 RC10

Curt Hibbs

This release is mainly in upgrade the included FreeRIDE
IDE to version 0.9.0. There have been some minor fixes,
but nothing of importance. If you are not interested in
FreeRIDE, there is no need to download this release.

(To those who are waiting: I will try to get OpenSSL
into the next release.)

As always, when Matz releases Ruby 1.8.2 final, then I
will release the final 1.8.2 version of the One-Click
Installer.

You can download this release candidate from:
http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=167

Curt

Changes Since 1.8.1-13:
- This is a build of Ruby 1.8.2 preview3.
- Added RubyGems 0.8.1
- Added FreeRIDE 0.9.0
- Upgraded Ruby-odbc to version 0.994
- TCL/TK support no longer sets any environment
variables.
- Corrected missing OpenGL support.
- Added Start Menu shortcuts to documentation
on ruby-doc.org.
- Eliminated the installer dialog message that
warned you might need to reboot your system.
This allows for unattended installs using the
command-line arguments:
/S /D=<install dir>
- Changed the layout of the Windows registry
entries.
- Fixed a typo in a windows registry entry
(bug 643).
- Upgraded Expat to version 1.95.7
- Upgraded DBI to 0.23
- Upgraded FXRuby to version 1.0.29

Lothar Scholz

Hello Curt,

CH> This release is mainly in upgrade the included FreeRIDE
CH> IDE to version 0.9.0. There have been some minor fixes,
CH> but nothing of importance. If you are not interested in
CH> FreeRIDE, there is no need to download this release.

Nobody responded to my previous email so i ask here again.
The one click installer puts the generated ri (yaml) files in

C:\ruby\share\ri\1.8\site

and not in

C:\ruby\share\ri\1.8\system

as described in the "Programming Ruby" book.
I think this is an error but i'm not 100% sure.

Curt Hibbs

Lothar Scholz [mailto:[email protected]]
Hello Curt,

CH> This release is mainly in upgrade the included FreeRIDE
CH> IDE to version 0.9.0. There have been some minor fixes,
CH> but nothing of importance. If you are not interested in
CH> FreeRIDE, there is no need to download this release.

Nobody responded to my previous email so i ask here again.
The one click installer puts the generated ri (yaml) files in

C:\ruby\share\ri\1.8\site

and not in

C:\ruby\share\ri\1.8\system

as described in the "Programming Ruby" book.
I think this is an error but i'm not 100% sure.

Sorry, I must have missed it.

I haven't changed anything about this since I began working on the one-click
installer project, so if it is wrong, then it has always been wrong. I see
that you cc'd Dave on this, so her should be able to give a definitive
answer.... Dave?

Curt

Glenn Parker

Curt said:
This release is mainly in upgrade the included FreeRIDE
IDE to version 0.9.0. There have been some minor fixes,
but nothing of importance. If you are not interested in
FreeRIDE, there is no need to download this release.

A minor annoyance/clash between FreeRIDE and the Ruby One-Click
Installer: It looks like the One-Click Installer installs FreeRIDE in
C:\ruby\freeride, but the FreeRIDE stand-alone installer defaults to
"C:\Program Files\FreeRIDE".

I originally used the One-Click Installer, but then upgraded FreeRIDE
using its stand-alone installer. So, now I have an outdated (and
apparently broken, see below) version of FreeRIDE in C:\ruby\freeride,
and a newer (working) version under "C:\Program Files\FreeRIDE".

I think the One-Click Installer and the FreeRIDE stand-alone installer
should settle on a single standard installation directory for FreeRIDE.
I would like to be able to upgrade FreeRIDE without waiting for the
next One-Click Installer release.

FWIW, this is what happens when I try to run FreeRIDE 0.7.0 now:

C:\ruby\freeride>run.bat
C:\ruby\freeride>ruby freeride.rb
src/emitter.rb:945:in `const_get': uninitialized constant
Scintilla::EmptyStyle (NameError)
from src/emitter.rb:945:in `read_type_class'
from src/emitter.rb:944:in `each'
from src/emitter.rb:944:in `read_type_class'
from src/emitter.rb:1494:in `module_eval'
from src/emitter.rb:1493:in `call'
from src/emitter.rb:1028:in `transfer_method'
from src/yaml.y.rb:651:in `attach_transfer'
from src/yaml.y.rb:42:in `_reduce_11'
... 16 levels...
from C:/ruby/freeride/freebase/lib/freebase/core.rb:35:in `new'
from C:/ruby/freeride/freebase/lib/freebase/core.rb:35:in `startup'
from freeride.rb:80:in `startup'
from freeride.rb:92

Giulio Piancastelli

Curt said:
This release is mainly in upgrade the included FreeRIDE
IDE to version 0.9.0. There have been some minor fixes,
but nothing of importance. If you are not interested in
FreeRIDE, there is no need to download this release.

I have a problem with the previous OneClickInstaller for Windows.
Specifically, I can't input symbols like '@' or '#' or '[' or ']' in
the irb shell anymore. I'm using an italian keyboard layout: those
symbols you can input using AltGr plus another key (for example, ']' is
typed by pressing AltGr and '+' at the same time). Is it just me, or
have others reported a similar problem? I'm running under a Windows XP
Home OS.

Regards,
Giulio Piancastelli.

Henrik Horneber

Giulio said:
Curt said:
This release is mainly in upgrade the included FreeRIDE
IDE to version 0.9.0. There have been some minor fixes,
but nothing of importance. If you are not interested in
FreeRIDE, there is no need to download this release.

I have a problem with the previous OneClickInstaller for Windows.
Specifically, I can't input symbols like '@' or '#' or '[' or ']' in
the irb shell anymore. I'm using an italian keyboard layout: those
symbols you can input using AltGr plus another key (for example, ']' is
typed by pressing AltGr and '+' at the same time). Is it just me, or
have others reported a similar problem? I'm running under a Windows XP
Home OS.

Regards,
Giulio Piancastelli.

Hi!

http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/119013
is a good starting point for this topic.

HTH
Henrik

Dave Thomas

Nobody responded to my previous email so i ask here again.
The one click installer puts the generated ri (yaml) files in
C:\ruby\share\ri\1.8\site
and not in
C:\ruby\share\ri\1.8\system
as described in the "Programming Ruby" book.
I think this is an error but i'm not 100% sure.

I suspect it should be in \system, but ri will find them in either
place...

Cheers

Dave

Curt Hibbs

This is my fault, I should have mentioned this in the announcement...

There is an incompatibility in the persistent config files between FreeRIDE
0.7.0 and later versions (both the FreeRIDE installer and the one-click
installer are version 0.9.0). The ay to fix this is to delete the old config
files and let them automatically get recreated the next time you run
FreeRIDE.

Go to %USERPROFILE% (usually that is "C:\Documents and Settings\<username>")
and delete the "freeride" subdirectory). The run FreeRIDE and all should be
ok.

Curt

PS

The FreeRIDE installer is different, and needs to install in a separate
location. It includes its own runtime version of Ruby, and will run
independently of whatever version of Ruby you have installed.

gabriele renzi

Henrik Horneber ha scritto:
Giulio said:
Curt said:
[...]

fwiw on winxp I have:
C:\Documents and Settings\gabriele>type %inputrc%
"\M-[": "["
"\M-]": "]"
"\M-\\": "\\"
"\M-|": "|"
"\M-@": "@"

Florian Gross

Giulio said:
Curt said:
This release is mainly in upgrade the included FreeRIDE
IDE to version 0.9.0. There have been some minor fixes,
but nothing of importance. If you are not interested in
FreeRIDE, there is no need to download this release.

I have a problem with the previous OneClickInstaller for Windows.
Specifically, I can't input symbols like '@' or '#' or '[' or ']' in
the irb shell anymore. I'm using an italian keyboard layout: those
symbols you can input using AltGr plus another key (for example, ']' is
typed by pressing AltGr and '+' at the same time). Is it just me, or
have others reported a similar problem? I'm running under a Windows XP
Home OS.

To the maintainers of the one click installer: Please fix IRB. It always
uses readline. The error is in irb/context.rb:
if (defined?(ReadlineInputMethod) &&
(use_readline?)) || IRB.conf[:pROMPT_MODE] != :INF_RUBY && STDIN.tty?))
@io = ReadlineInputMethod.new
else
@io = StdioInputMethod.new
end

This should be this:
if (defined?(ReadlineInputMethod) &&
(use_readline?))
@io = ReadlineInputMethod.new
else
@io = StdioInputMethod.new
end

It would also be very nice if a default .inputrc could be included. This
is causing trouble for all German and Italian users and I guess there
are others that are affected by this, too...

Stephan Kämper

Florian said:
It would also be very nice if a default .inputrc could be included. This
is causing trouble for all German and Italian users and I guess there
are others that are affected by this, too...

Danish and Swedish as far as I know. And probably everyone with a
"European" (or non-US-American) keyboard layout.

Stephan

Curt Hibbs

Florian said:
Giulio Piancastelli wrote:

To the maintainers of the one click installer: Please fix IRB. It always
uses readline. The error is in irb/context.rb:
if (defined?(ReadlineInputMethod) &&
(use_readline?)) || IRB.conf[:pROMPT_MODE] != :INF_RUBY && STDIN.tty?))
@io = ReadlineInputMethod.new
else
@io = StdioInputMethod.new
end

This should be this:
if (defined?(ReadlineInputMethod) &&
(use_readline?))
@io = ReadlineInputMethod.new
else
@io = StdioInputMethod.new
end

This should really be fixed in IRB, but I can patch this for now.
It would also be very nice if a default .inputrc could be included. This
is causing trouble for all German and Italian users and I guess there
are others that are affected by this, too...

Can you send me something that you think would be appropriate as a default
inputrc?

Thanks,
Curt

Florian Gross

Curt said:
This should really be fixed in IRB, but I can patch this for now.

I will have a look at contacting the maintainer then. Thanks for the
fast response.
Can you send me something that you think would be appropriate as a default
inputrc?

I can send you my personal one though cursor up / down and
Ctrl-cursor-left/right still don't seem to work correctly in there. I
would in fact love to use IRB with tab completion but because readline
causes so many issues for me I have pretty much given up about it...