ANNOUNCE: TimingAnalyzer -- new updated version

Discussion in 'VHDL' started by timinganalyzer, Jun 9, 2008.

  1. Hello All,

    A new version beta 0.83 is now available. The following changes and
    additions have occurred.

    * Improved Image Preview Display.
    * Context sensitive popup menus to edit objects.
    * Path set in image save dialog works.
    * Metric paper sizes added to image preview.
    * Lower case z, and x now work bus value combobox in toolbar.
    * Move signals up and down commands now respect any space in
    diagrams used for Text.
    * Objects attached to any signal being deleted are deleted
    automatically.
    * Save file now includes some more error checking before saving
    objects.
    * Delays can not be added to DigitalClocks.

    You can download the Free Edition now and read all about the
    TimingAnalyzer at:

    www.timing-diagrams.com

    The TimingAnalyzer can be used to quickly and easily draw timing
    diagrams. Signals, clocks, buses, delays, constraints, and states are
    easily added from the GUI.

    It can also be used to quickly do a timing analysis and check for
    timing faults. Minimum, typical, and worst case analysis can be
    performed. Delays and constraints are easily specified and changed to
    see if faster clocks or slower parts can be used without any timing
    faults.

    There are 3 editions planned. The Free Edition(FE), a Standard
    Edition(SE), and the Professional Edition(PE).
    timinganalyzer, Jun 9, 2008

  2. timinganalyzer

    rickman Guest

    Re: ANNOUNCE: TimingAnalyzer -- new updated version

    On Jun 8, 10:00 pm, timinganalyzer <> wrote:
    > Hello All,
    >
    > A new version beta 0.83 is now available. The following changes and
    > additions have occurred.
    >
    > * Improved Image Preview Display.
    > * Context sensitive popup menus to edit objects.
    > * Path set in image save dialog works.
    > * Metric paper sizes added to image preview.
    > * Lower case z, and x now work bus value combobox in toolbar.
    > * Move signals up and down commands now respect any space in
    > diagrams used for Text.
    > * Objects attached to any signal being deleted are deleted
    > automatically.
    > * Save file now includes some more error checking before saving
    > objects.
    > * Delays can not be added to DigitalClocks.
    >
    > You can download the Free Edition now and read all about the
    > TimingAnalyzer at:
    >
    > www.timing-diagrams.com
    >
    > ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    >
    > The TimingAnalyzer can be used to quickly and easily draw timing
    > diagrams. Signals, clocks, buses, delays, constraints, and states are
    > easily added from the GUI.
    >
    > It can also be used to quickly do a timing analysis and check for
    > timing faults. Minimum, typical, and worst case analysis can be
    > performed. Delays and constraints are easily specified and changed to
    > see if faster clocks or slower parts can be used without any timing
    > faults.
    >
    > There are 3 editions planned. The Free Edition(FE), a Standard
    > Edition(SE), and the Professional Edition(PE).

    You asked for suggestions... I suggest that you spend some time
    working on the docs. I don't mean the full up, detailed manual. I
    mean come up with something that lets a beginner produce some simple
    diagrams quickly. Leave out the fancy features and just explain the
    basics of how this program is intended to be used. I think you feel
    the program is simple, but it is not. Maybe once you get the user
    over the initial hump, it is easy. But that initial hum is
    significant.

    You have several ways of getting documentation or help. I could only
    find one that worked. In particular, you have a menu item in the
    program that opens a link in the web browser... to an empty page. I
    understand that this is a placeholder, but why have a placeholder that
    only frustrates the user? Grey out the menu item to anything that is
    not implemented or that does not work. No point in having users go
    down dead ends.

    Rick
    rickman, Jun 11, 2008

  3. Re: ANNOUNCE: TimingAnalyzer -- new updated version

    On Jun 11, 12:26 pm, rickman <> wrote:
    > On Jun 8, 10:00 pm, timinganalyzer <> wrote:
    >

    > > Hello All,

    > > A new version beta 0.83 is now available. The following changes and
    > > additions have occurred.

    > > * Improved Image Preview Display.
    > > * Context sensitive popup menus to edit objects.
    > > * Path set in image save dialog works.
    > > * Metric paper sizes added to image preview.
    > > * Lower case z, and x now work bus value combobox in toolbar.
    > > * Move signals up and down commands now respect any space in
    > > diagrams used for Text.
    > > * Objects attached to any signal being deleted are deleted
    > > automatically.
    > > * Save file now includes some more error checking before saving
    > > objects.
    > > * Delays can not be added to DigitalClocks.

    > > You can download the Free Edition now and read all about the
    > > TimingAnalyzer at:

    > >www.timing-diagrams.com

    > > ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    > > The TimingAnalyzer can be used to quickly and easily draw timing
    > > diagrams. Signals, clocks, buses, delays, constraints, and states are
    > > easily added from the GUI.

    > > It can also be used to quickly do a timing analysis and check for
    > > timing faults. Minimum, typical, and worst case analysis can be
    > > performed. Delays and constraints are easily specified and changed to
    > > see if faster clocks or slower parts can be used without any timing
    > > faults.

    > > There are 3 editions planned. The Free Edition(FE), a Standard
    > > Edition(SE), and the Professional Edition(PE).

    > You asked for suggestions... I suggest that you spend some time
    > working on the docs. I don't mean the full up, detailed manual. I
    > mean come up with something that lets a beginner produce some simple
    > diagrams quickly. Leave out the fancy features and just explain the
    > basics of how this program is intended to be used. I think you feel
    > the program is simple, but it is not. Maybe once you get the user
    > over the initial hump, it is easy. But that initial hum is
    > significant.
    >
    > You have several ways of getting documentation or help. I could only
    > find one that worked. In particular, you have a menu item in the
    > program that opens a link in the web browser... to an empty page. I
    > understand that this is a placeholder, but why have a placeholder that
    > only frustrates the user? Grey out the menu item to anything that is
    > not implemented or that does not work. No point in having users go
    > down dead ends.
    >
    > Rick

    The documentation in the application works.

    Help Menu -> User Manual

    It is very limited in scope but has the basics. There is also an step
    by step example.

    I know the documentation page on the website is empty. I'm looking
    for help, beta testing and things like documentation. Anyone
    interested in helping, please let me know.

    I will try to improve the docs with each new release.

    Thanks,
    Dan
    timinganalyzer, Jun 12, 2008
  4. timinganalyzer

    On Jun 12, 1:14 pm, timinganalyzer <> wrote:
> [...]

    > > find one that worked. In particular, you have a menu item in the
    > > program that opens a link in the web browser... to an empty page. I
    > > understand that this is a placeholder, but why have a placeholder that
    > > only frustrates the user? Grey out the menu item to anything that is
    > > not implemented or that does not work. No point in having users go
    > > down dead ends.

    > > Rick

    > The documentation in the application works.
    >
    > Help Menu -> User Manual
    >
    > It is very limited in scope but has the basics. There is also an step
    > by step example.
    >
    > I know the documentation page on the website is empty. I'm looking
    > for help, beta testing and things like documentation. Anyone
    > interested in helping, please let me know.
    >
    > I will try to improve the docs with each new release.

    I know you are working on the docs and everything else. My point is
    that it is not a good practice to provide a link to an empty web
    page. Instead of doing that, you should gray out the link that points
    to it so people don't waste time looking where there is no help.

    That's all. I'm not trying to complain about things. You asked for
    suggestions and I am offering one. I think it is a pretty obvious
    principle to not provide menu items that aren't currently working.
    Wait until there is something to read, then give them a link to
    access.

    Good luck with it.

    Rick
    rickman, Jun 13, 2008