ASP.NET not using enough memory?

SFoley

I have a W2K asp.net web site (ver 1.0.3705 ) that does not appear to
be using RAM as well as it could be. Looking at the performance
counters I see the following:

aspnet_wp.exe process
Mem Usage 100Meg
Virtual Memory size 80Meg
Virtual bytes 576Meg
Pages Faults/sec 100

Physical RAM 1024Meg
Available RAM 612Meg
Virtual Memory 1536Meg
Total Memory in Use 318Meg

Why is virtual memory being used when three is plenty of available
RAM? I would think that using more RAM would limit the paging that I
see happening. In the example above the web site is not experiencing
much of a problem, but occasionally the aspnet_wp virtual bytes raise
above 1700Meg and there is a noticeable slowdown. When this happens,
there is still plenty of free RAM that is not being used.

Would the aspnet_wp.exe process use more RAM if I upgraded to 2Gig?
Is there a way to have this process use a larger percentage of the
existing 1Gig?

Thanks
Scott Foley

Craig Scurlock

Under machine.config file in the <processmodel> tag there should be an
attribute called memoryLimit. This is the maximum percentage the
ASP.NET worker process will use. Increase it and it should use more
of the system memory.