Asp.net web services

Pragati

while using DCOM where exactly we need to set the component setting ?In short
how we can call remote COM component in existing asp or vb application ?
what is the advantage of using xml web services in asp.net. how it is more
beneficial from DCOM which is being also used for remoting purpose.
what is difference between xml web service and .net remoting ?how user will
decide when to use the above mentioned technology from performance point of
view ?

Pandurang Nayak

Pragati,

This is a question that has been answered several times in several places.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=.net+remoting+vs.+dcom+vs.+web+services

You will find many answers.

Top 3 differences:
1. Web Services are an open technology-agnostic standard. Remoting is .NET
specific. DCOM is Windows DNA specific.
2. Load balancing DCOM components is relatively more complex than load
balancing Web Services
3. Web Services work through HTTP - so it is easier to traverse firewalls
compared to Remoting or DCOM.

Regards,
Pandurang