    4Suite? some said it is buggy (lots of work arounds)?
    Others ???

    Thx!

    fanbanlo, Feb 27, 2005

  2. fanbanlo wrote:
    > Which XSLT processor is the most reliable?
    >
    > requirement:
    > + must support Python 2.4
    > + must run w/ Windows (and Linux)
    > + not super slow
    >
    > My python project needs a XSLT processor + Docbook's XSLT to translate
    > from docbook-xml -> HTML.
    >
    > PyXML? is it reliable? Slow?
    > 4Suite? some said it is buggy (lots of work arounds)?
    > Others ???

    You could try Pyana (pyana.sourceforge.net). It's a binding to the
    Apache Group's Xalan engine. I don't think that it is a flexable as
    4Suite but it is probably faster and more standards compliant (it was
    the last time that I checked).

    Cheers,
    Brian

    Brian Quinlan, Feb 28, 2005

  3. fanbanlo

    Paul Boddie Guest

    fanbanlo <henryho@NO__SPAMM_.telus.net> wrote in message news:<yvgUd.9678$_G.5042@clgrps12>...
    > Which XSLT processor is the most reliable?
    >
    > requirement:
    > + must support Python 2.4
    > + must run w/ Windows (and Linux)
    > + not super slow

    I've had success with libxslt [1] (and libxml2 [2]) on Linux with
    Python 2.3.x and earlier, and I imagine that it's portable enough to
    work successfully on Windows and has already been tested with Python
    2.4. Moreover, I don't think many people complain about the
    performance of libxslt/libxml2. ;-)

    If you find the supplied Python bindings for libxml2 either
    "un-Pythonic" or insufficiently DOM-like, you might want to try lxml
    [3] or libxml2dom [4].

    Paul

    [1] http://xmlsoft.org/XSLT/
    [2] http://www.xmlsoft.org/
    [3] http://www.xml.com/cs/user/view/cs_msg/2280
    [4] http://www.python.org/pypi?:action=display&name=libxml2dom

    Paul Boddie, Feb 28, 2005
  4. fanbanlo

    Guest

    Who says 4Suite is buggy? Do they have any evidence to back that up?
    We have a huge test suite, and though 4Suite is by no means the fastest
    option, it's quite reliable for XSLT.

    The XSLT processor in PyXML is just a very old version of 4XSLT.

    --Uche

    , Mar 1, 2005
  5. fanbanlo

    Guest

    Xalan is certainly faster, but it is almost certainly not more
    compliant than 4Suite. Xalan actually has a bit of a reputation among
    XSLT processors in its carelessness with compliance. But I suppoose in
    order to settle these counter-claims, one of us will have to come up
    with specific compliance examples. You fired the first shot. Can you
    back it up?

    --Uche

    , Mar 1, 2005
  6. fanbanlo

    Guest

    This is a good way to kick off a tussle among interested parties, but
    hinestly, at this point, most packages work fine. In my opinion your
    rade-off right now is raw speed (e.g. libxslt) versus flexibility (e.g.
    4Suite). All are bug-free enough that you'd have to be doing somethign
    *very* exotic to run into trouble.

    Just pick one or two and try them.

    http://uche.ogbuji.net/tech/akara/nodes/2003-01-01/python-xslt

    --Uche

    , Mar 1, 2005
  7. fanbanlo

    Guest

    Actually, most of the compliant problems I can remember off-head with
    respect to Xalan have been regarding EXSLT 1.0, not base XSLT 1.0.
    Sorry for any misconstruction.

    --Uche

    , Mar 1, 2005
  8. fanbanlo

    Steve Holden Guest

    wrote:
    > This is a good way to kick off a tussle among interested parties, but
    > hinestly, at this point, most packages work fine. In my opinion your
    > rade-off right now is raw speed (e.g. libxslt) versus flexibility (e.g.
    > 4Suite). All are bug-free enough that you'd have to be doing somethign
    > *very* exotic to run into trouble.
    >
    > Just pick one or two and try them.
    >
    > http://uche.ogbuji.net/tech/akara/nodes/2003-01-01/python-xslt

    Uche:

    I don't know what news reader you are using, but I wonder if I could ask
    you to retain just a little more context in your posts. If they were
    personal emails I would probably be able to follow the thread, but in a
    newsgroup it's always helpful when I see a comment such as your above if
    I know what the heck you are talking about ;-).

    You will notice this post starts by quoting your remarks to make it
    clear exactly where I was looking for context and not finding it. My
    first thought was "*What* is a good way ... ?" - remember, posts don't
    always appear in the same order in everyone's readers/servers.

    regards
    Steve

    Steve Holden, Mar 1, 2005
  9. fanbanlo

    Guest

    Steve Holden:

    "I don't know what news reader you are using, but I wonder if I could
    ask
    you to retain just a little more context in your posts. If they were
    personal emails I would probably be able to follow the thread, but in a
    newsgroup it's always helpful when I see a comment such as your above
    if
    I know what the heck you are talking about ;-)."

    I'm using Google Groups. I'd assumed it maintains quoting, but I guess
    not. Looks as if I'll have to ditch it, which makes things awkward
    because I don't have time to follow this NG in its entirety: I prefer
    to just search weekly for "Python XML".

    --Uche

    , Mar 4, 2005