Borland 5.5 free compiler: incomplete "include" directory?

Stefan Krause

Hi everybody,

I just installed the free Borland 5.5 C++ compiler onto my computer, and
got some troubleshooting with the includes: The Include-directory seems
to be not complete. I can only find the files from "accctrl.h" to
"dimm.h" (in alphabetic order).
So the compiler does not manage to find f.e. "iostream.h".
I tried some different downloads (from different mirror sites), but the
setup program always only installs the include files from "a.." to
"d..". Is this a limitation due to the fact that the compiler is free?
Or has anybody the hole include-path with all the *.h-files?

Thank you very much!

Best regards,
Stefan Krause

Christopher Benson-Manica

Stefan Krause said:
I just installed the free Borland 5.5 C++ compiler onto my computer, and
got some troubleshooting with the includes: The Include-directory seems
to be not complete. I can only find the files from "accctrl.h" to
"dimm.h" (in alphabetic order).

The idiosyncrasies of Borland 5.5 are not on-topic here:

http://www.slack.net/~shiva/welcome.txt
http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/

There are a number of Borland groups in the news.borland.* hierarchy.
So the compiler does not manage to find f.e. "iostream.h".
I tried some different downloads (from different mirror sites), but the
setup program always only installs the include files from "a.." to
"d..". Is this a limitation due to the fact that the compiler is free?
Or has anybody the hole include-path with all the *.h-files?

That said, you're either encountering extraordinary bad luck in
choosing mirrors or making some mistake in unpacking the compiler and
additional files. I have the 5.5 compiler installed, and I assure you
that when properly installed it has a full complement of include files
(up to xolehlp.h).

Christopher Benson-Manica

Victor Bazarov said:
I think you mean in 'borland.public.*' hierarchy.

Right, thanks for the correction. (The OP thanks you too, I bet!)

Pradyut

From the bin directory of your installation:

Goto start>My computer>properties>advanced tab>Environment Variables
button and in the System paths add > New
Name=Path>parameter=c:\Borland\Bcc55\bin
a. Add "c:\Borland\Bcc55\bin"
to the existing path
In the bin directory add the two files
bcc23.cfg and ilink32.cfg with the following contents: -
remeber to add the correct paths
b. Create a bcc32.cfg file which will set
the compiler options for the Include
and Lib paths (-I and -L switches to
compiler) by adding these lines:
-I"c:\Borland\Bcc55\include"
-L"c:\Borland\Bcc55\lib"
c. Create an ilink32.cfg file which will set
the linker option for the Lib path by
adding this line:
-L"c:\Borland\Bcc55\lib"

Thanks
Pradyut
http://pradyut.tk

Ioannis Vranos

Stefan said:
Hi everybody,

I just installed the free Borland 5.5 C++ compiler onto my computer, and
got some troubleshooting with the includes: The Include-directory seems
to be not complete. I can only find the files from "accctrl.h" to
"dimm.h" (in alphabetic order).
So the compiler does not manage to find f.e. "iostream.h".

There is not any iostream.h header in ISO C++.

I tried some different downloads (from different mirror sites), but the
setup program always only installs the include files from "a.." to
"d..". Is this a limitation due to the fact that the compiler is free?
Or has anybody the hole include-path with all the *.h-files?

Thank you very much!

Have you tried to compile some code? Doesn't the following compile?

#include <iostream>
#include <string>

int main()
{