Browser Incompatibility

Guest

I create web applications in VS 2003 and the .Net 1.1 framework (we haven't
moved the application forward to .Net 2.0 yet).

The application looks great In IE 5.x and greater. But even a simple login
page that only has textboxes look like crap in FireFox and Safari. Since
ASP.Net generates the HMTL (supposedly it detects the browser and generates
the best HTML for that browser) -- why is this problem?

If others have encountered this problem, what have done to solve it?

Bil

bruce barker

asp.net does little for browser compatibility except with validators and
ajax.

your site should have been designed with css, and browser comaptiable
markup.

one problem you may be running into with 1.1 is it by default does not
render css/style for browsers other then IE unless you uodate the
browsercaps file.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Guest

Thanks for the reply. When one adds a ASP.Net button or a datagrid, ASP.Net
degenerates the html -- so . . .

What happens if you mess that HTML?

It is even worse if one uses Infragistics (or probably any third party
control). It doesn't appear that ccs or browser compatiblity markup is an
option.

Bill

Alan Silver

The application looks great In IE 5.x and greater. But even a simple
login page that only has textboxes look like crap in FireFox and Safari.

This almost certainly means that the (X)HTML and/or CSS are invalid.
IE5.x was the worst of all the IE versions, and IE itself is the worst
of all browsers when it comes to rendering correctly.

Make sure that any (X)HTML and CSS you write are 100% valid, and test
them on a standards compliant browser such as Firefox or Safari. Only
then should you look at them on IE and fix the bugs. If they work in the
first two, then any rendering issues will 99.999% certain be IE bugs (of
which there are thousands).

By the way, IE5.x is so little used nowadays that you shouldn't spend
too much time fighting its plethora of bugs. Test on IE6 and IE7 as they
have the vast majority of the IE users.

Guest

I realize IE5.x is little used but a significant portion of our customers
still use it. That is is why I said IE5.x and above. Again if one uses a
3rd party control that does not support FireFox and Safari, no amount of
XHTML or CCS is going to fix that.

However, I have documented and reproduced the problems for our 3rd party
provider, they acknowledged the problem and are working on it.

WR

Alan Silver

I realize IE5.x is little used but a significant portion of our customers
still use it. That is is why I said IE5.x and above.

Fair enough. Shame you can't educate them ;-(
Again if one uses a
3rd party control that does not support FireFox and Safari, no amount of
XHTML or CCS is going to fix that.

To be blunt, any 3rd party control that produces invalid (X)HTML and/or
CSS has to be questioned. If it only supports IE, then it sounds like
the people who wrote it have little idea of how to produce standards
compliant code. If so, you are only at the start of your troubles.
Whilst IE7 is far from perfect, it's a long way to wards being
compliant. Will their control work in that?
However, I have documented and reproduced the problems for our 3rd party
provider, they acknowledged the problem and are working on it.

OK, that's a start. It's worth pushing hard for full compliance though.
Controls that rely on the buggy rendering of IE5.x are a surefire recipe
for disaster.

Ta ra