Bypassing banner on web pages?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Will, Feb 27, 2004.

  1. Will

    Will Guest

    Our web site is being forwarded from Register.com to a free
    hosting site. The problem is Register.com insists on
    placing a banner at the bottom of our pages.

    I have tried numerous attempts to redirect to different
    directories, but to no avail. Below is my example.

    www.oursite.org (forwards to) www.hostingsite.org/oursite
    (which is the index page)

    I then have a link to a sub directory, but the banner still
    appears.

    If I type in www.hostingsite.org/oursite, no banner! But I
    would prefer not to do this.

    I have contacted GoDaddy.com and they offer forwarding
    without banners. Has anyone had a bad experience with GoDaddy?

    Will

    Will, Feb 27, 2004

  2. Will

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Our web site is being forwarded from Register.com to a free
    > hosting site. The problem is Register.com insists on
    > placing a banner at the bottom of our pages.

    How dare they do that! They should be required to give you what ever
    you want completely free.

    Please....
    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com

    Whitecrest, Feb 27, 2004

  3. Will

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > I have tried numerous attempts to redirect to different
    > directories, but to no avail. Below is my example.

    You do realize if they find you did this then they will turn you off
    right? It is probably in the license you signed.

    You could pay for a site with no banners rather than try to cheat
    someone.

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com

    Whitecrest, Feb 27, 2004
  4. Will

    Will Guest

    >>You could pay for a site with no banners rather than try
    to cheat someone.<<

    While we are paying $35 a year for a Domain Name, I don't
    consider redirecting to another directory exactly as cheating.

    Register.com is taking away OUR bandwidth and part of our
    viewable pages. They are cheating us!

    Will

    Will, Feb 27, 2004
  5. Will

    Paul Furman Guest

    Will wrote:

    > >>You could pay for a site with no banners rather than try to cheat

    > someone.<<
    >
    > While we are paying $35 a year for a Domain Name, I don't consider
    > redirecting to another directory exactly as cheating.
    >
    > Register.com is taking away OUR bandwidth and part of our viewable
    > pages. They are cheating us!

    You are only paying for the domain name, not the hosting service for the
    pages. GoDaddy will reserve your domain for less than half that price
    and you could get bannerless hosting for as little as approx
    $50.00/year. Your service should be able to forward to another hosting
    service for no additional cost and no banners for the remainder of the
    year you've paid. If they charge more than $15 for that dump them right
    away.

    Paul Furman, Feb 27, 2004
  6. Will schrieb:

    > Our web site is being forwarded from Register.com to a free
    > hosting site. The problem is Register.com insists on
    > placing a banner at the bottom of our pages.

    Advertising is usually the price you pay for a "free" service. If you
    don't want the advertising, don't use the "free" service.

    > I have contacted GoDaddy.com and they offer forwarding
    > without banners. Has anyone had a bad experience with GoDaddy?

    Not personally - never used them. Check the groups.google.com archives.

    Matthias

    Matthias Gutfeldt, Feb 27, 2004
  7. Will

    Hywel Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Our web site is being forwarded from Register.com to a free
    > hosting site. The problem is Register.com insists on
    > placing a banner at the bottom of our pages.
    >
    > I have tried numerous attempts to redirect to different
    > directories, but to no avail. Below is my example.
    >
    > www.oursite.org (forwards to) www.hostingsite.org/oursite
    > (which is the index page)
    >
    > I then have a link to a sub directory, but the banner still
    > appears.
    >
    > If I type in www.hostingsite.org/oursite, no banner! But I
    > would prefer not to do this.
    >
    > I have contacted GoDaddy.com and they offer forwarding
    > without banners. Has anyone had a bad experience with GoDaddy?

    Pay for your hosting. http://www.hostingforabuck.net/ should suit - $1
    a month with PHP and MySQL. As you're not taking your web presence that
    seriously that should suit you just fine. I have kibo.org.uk with them
    and have been remarkably impressed during the last month.

    --
    Hywel I do not eat quiche
    http://kibo.org.uk/

    Hywel, Feb 27, 2004
  8. Will

    Will Guest

    Matthias....I believe you misunderstood me!

    We are not being hosted by Register.com. Our organization
    is affiliated with a national organization which has
    reserved web space.

    The problem is when we forward from Register.com (which we
    pay $35/yr for our domain name), Register.com insists that
    they place a banner on our pages because they are forwarding
    our domain name to the site that is hosting us.

    Will

    Will, Feb 27, 2004
  9. Will

    SpaceGirl Guest

    "Will" <> wrote in message
    > Our web site is being forwarded from Register.com to a free
    > hosting site. The problem is Register.com insists on
    > placing a banner at the bottom of our pages.
    >
    > I have tried numerous attempts to redirect to different
    > directories, but to no avail. Below is my example.
    >
    > www.oursite.org (forwards to) www.hostingsite.org/oursite
    > (which is the index page)
    >
    > I then have a link to a sub directory, but the banner still
    > appears.
    >
    > If I type in www.hostingsite.org/oursite, no banner! But I
    > would prefer not to do this.
    >
    > I have contacted GoDaddy.com and they offer forwarding
    > without banners. Has anyone had a bad experience with GoDaddy?

    > Will

    add this script into your header;

    if (self.location != top.location) {

    top.location = self.location;

    }

    </script>

    SpaceGirl, Feb 27, 2004
  10. Will

    Default User Guest

    Paul Furman wrote:

    > > someone.<<
    > >
    > > While we are paying $35 a year for a Domain Name, I don't consider
    > > redirecting to another directory exactly as cheating.
    > >
    > > Register.com is taking away OUR bandwidth and part of our viewable
    > > pages. They are cheating us!

    > You are only paying for the domain name, not the hosting service for the
    > pages. GoDaddy will reserve your domain for less than half that price
    > and you could get bannerless hosting for as little as approx

    I think you mean less that a third (although of course what you said is
    also true). Godaddy charges under $10 a year for domain registration.
    I've heard good things about them.

    > $50.00/year. Your service should be able to forward to another hosting
    > service for no additional cost and no banners for the remainder of the
    > year you've paid. If they charge more than $15 for that dump them right
    > away.

    A list of Godaddy additionals:

    FREE
    with every domain!
    # Change of Registration
    # Parked Page
    # Domain Locking
    # Status Alerts
    # New! Forwarding / Masking
    # New! "For Sale" Page
    # New! Total DNS Control
    # New! 100 Email Forwards

    Sounds like the way to go. Time for me to reserve that family website
    name and get going!

    Brian Rodenborn

    Default User, Feb 27, 2004
  11. Will

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > While we are paying $35 a year for a Domain Name, I don't
    > consider redirecting to another directory exactly as cheating.

    Well thats the problem. You think there are times when it is ok to
    cheat. This is a morals issue, not a html issue.

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com

    Whitecrest, Feb 27, 2004
  12. Will

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <c1o184$1ktpfr$-berlin.de>,
    says...
    > > Will

    > add this script into your header;
    > if (self.location != top.location) {
    > top.location = self.location;
    > }
    > </script>

    I'll take this one boys....

    That won't work for everyone you know...

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com

    Whitecrest, Feb 27, 2004
  13. Will

    SpaceGirl Guest

    "Whitecrest" <> wrote in message
    > In article <c1o184$1ktpfr$-berlin.de>,
    > says...
    > > > Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    > > > Will

    > > add this script into your header;
    > > <script language="javascript" type="text/javascript">
    > > if (self.location != top.location) {
    > > top.location = self.location;
    > > }
    > > </script>

    > I'll take this one boys....
    >
    > That won't work for everyone you know...

    Nope, but it's the only way to break out of a frameset that I know... But
    generally, it works (and wont throw an error if it doesn't work). I tend to
    add it into our sites as a matter of course - prevents other people
    "embedding" pages from our sites inside framesets on their own sites.

    miranda

    SpaceGirl, Feb 27, 2004
  14. Will

    SpaceGirl Guest

    "SpaceGirl" <> wrote in message

    > "Whitecrest" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <c1o184$1ktpfr$-berlin.de>,
    > > says...
    > > > add this script into your header;
    > > > <script language="javascript" type="text/javascript">
    > > > if (self.location != top.location) {
    > > > top.location = self.location;
    > > > }
    > > > </script>

    > > I'll take this one boys....
    > >
    > > That won't work for everyone you know...

    > Nope, but it's the only way to break out of a frameset that I know... But
    > generally, it works (and wont throw an error if it doesn't work). I tend

    > add it into our sites as a matter of course - prevents other people
    > "embedding" pages from our sites inside framesets on their own sites.
    >
    > miranda

    (Also, at least I was answering the poor guys question. Everyone in here
    seems way to eager tripping over their own arrogance to actually answer any
    questions at all. You mean lot!).

    SpaceGirl, Feb 27, 2004
  15. Will

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <c1ocqj$1l3t4g$-berlin.de>,
    says...
    > "Whitecrest" <> wrote in message
    > > I'll take this one boys....
    > > That won't work for everyone you know...

    > Nope, but it's the only way to break out of a frameset that I know...

    I was being facetious.

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com

    Whitecrest, Feb 27, 2004
  16. Will

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <c1ocvr$1kb58i$-berlin.de>,
    says...
    > (Also, at least I was answering the poor guys question. Everyone in here
    > seems way to eager tripping over their own arrogance to actually answer any
    > questions at all. You mean lot!)

    Come on, smile, you'll live longer.

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com

    Whitecrest, Feb 27, 2004
  17. Will

    > In article <c1ocvr$1kb58i$-berlin.de>,
    > says...
    > > (Also, at least I was answering the poor guys question. Everyone in here
    > > seems way to eager tripping over their own arrogance to actually answer

    any
    > > questions at all. You mean lot!)

    > Come on, smile, you'll live longer.
    >
    > --
    > Whitecrest Entertainment
    > www.whitecrestent.com

    Is that a threat!?

    :p

    ;)

    SpaceGirl, Feb 27, 2004
  18. Will

    Wÿrm Guest

    <snip>
    > Come on, smile, you'll live longer.

    smile gets u killed if u do that among few 300 pound motorists, in wrong
    time ;)

    Wÿrm, Feb 27, 2004
  19. Will

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <c1oeit$1k44v1$-berlin.de>,
    says...
    > > Come on, smile, you'll live longer.

    > Is that a threat!?

    <long silence......>

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com

    Whitecrest, Feb 27, 2004
  20. Will

    SpaceGirl wrote:

    > (Also, at least I was answering the poor guys question. Everyone in here
    > seems way to eager tripping over their own arrogance to actually answer any
    > questions at all. You mean lot!).

    Well, I think the answer to, "I'm getting a raw deal," is not to cheat
    on the deal, it's to legally get out of the deal. You do that in this
    case by moving to another registrar that doesn't charge for redirection.

    Brian Rodenborn