Bypassing banner on web pages?

Will

Our web site is being forwarded from Register.com to a free
hosting site. The problem is Register.com insists on
placing a banner at the bottom of our pages.

I have tried numerous attempts to redirect to different
directories, but to no avail. Below is my example.

www.oursite.org (forwards to) www.hostingsite.org/oursite
(which is the index page)

I then have a link to a sub directory, but the banner still
appears.

If I type in www.hostingsite.org/oursite, no banner! But I
would prefer not to do this.

I have contacted GoDaddy.com and they offer forwarding
without banners. Has anyone had a bad experience with GoDaddy?

Will

Whitecrest

Our web site is being forwarded from Register.com to a free
hosting site. The problem is Register.com insists on
placing a banner at the bottom of our pages.

How dare they do that! They should be required to give you what ever
you want completely free.

Please....

Whitecrest

I have tried numerous attempts to redirect to different
directories, but to no avail. Below is my example.

You do realize if they find you did this then they will turn you off
right? It is probably in the license you signed.

You could pay for a site with no banners rather than try to cheat
someone.

Will

You could pay for a site with no banners rather than try
to cheat someone.<<

While we are paying $35 a year for a Domain Name, I don't
consider redirecting to another directory exactly as cheating.

Register.com is taking away OUR bandwidth and part of our
viewable pages. They are cheating us!

Will

Paul Furman

Will said:
someone.<<

While we are paying $35 a year for a Domain Name, I don't consider
redirecting to another directory exactly as cheating.

Register.com is taking away OUR bandwidth and part of our viewable
pages. They are cheating us!

You are only paying for the domain name, not the hosting service for the
pages. GoDaddy will reserve your domain for less than half that price
and you could get bannerless hosting for as little as approx
$50.00/year. Your service should be able to forward to another hosting
service for no additional cost and no banners for the remainder of the
year you've paid. If they charge more than $15 for that dump them right
away.

Matthias Gutfeldt

Will said:
Our web site is being forwarded from Register.com to a free
hosting site. The problem is Register.com insists on
placing a banner at the bottom of our pages.

Advertising is usually the price you pay for a "free" service. If you
don't want the advertising, don't use the "free" service.

I have contacted GoDaddy.com and they offer forwarding
without banners. Has anyone had a bad experience with GoDaddy?

Not personally - never used them. Check the groups.google.com archives.

Matthias

Hywel

Our web site is being forwarded from Register.com to a free
hosting site. The problem is Register.com insists on
placing a banner at the bottom of our pages.

I have tried numerous attempts to redirect to different
directories, but to no avail. Below is my example.

www.oursite.org (forwards to) www.hostingsite.org/oursite
(which is the index page)

I then have a link to a sub directory, but the banner still
appears.

If I type in www.hostingsite.org/oursite, no banner! But I
would prefer not to do this.

I have contacted GoDaddy.com and they offer forwarding
without banners. Has anyone had a bad experience with GoDaddy?

Pay for your hosting. http://www.hostingforabuck.net/ should suit - $1
a month with PHP and MySQL. As you're not taking your web presence that
seriously that should suit you just fine. I have kibo.org.uk with them
and have been remarkably impressed during the last month.

Will

Matthias....I believe you misunderstood me!

We are not being hosted by Register.com. Our organization
is affiliated with a national organization which has
reserved web space.

The problem is when we forward from Register.com (which we
pay $35/yr for our domain name), Register.com insists that
they place a banner on our pages because they are forwarding
our domain name to the site that is hosting us.

Will

SpaceGirl

Will said:
Our web site is being forwarded from Register.com to a free
hosting site. The problem is Register.com insists on
placing a banner at the bottom of our pages.

I have tried numerous attempts to redirect to different
directories, but to no avail. Below is my example.

www.oursite.org (forwards to) www.hostingsite.org/oursite
(which is the index page)

I then have a link to a sub directory, but the banner still
appears.

If I type in www.hostingsite.org/oursite, no banner! But I
would prefer not to do this.

I have contacted GoDaddy.com and they offer forwarding
without banners. Has anyone had a bad experience with GoDaddy?

Will

add this script into your header;

if (self.location != top.location) {

top.location = self.location;

}

</script>

Default User

Paul said:
You are only paying for the domain name, not the hosting service for the
pages. GoDaddy will reserve your domain for less than half that price
and you could get bannerless hosting for as little as approx

I think you mean less that a third (although of course what you said is
also true). Godaddy charges under $10 a year for domain registration.
I've heard good things about them.
$50.00/year. Your service should be able to forward to another hosting
service for no additional cost and no banners for the remainder of the
year you've paid. If they charge more than $15 for that dump them right
away.

A list of Godaddy additionals:

FREE
with every domain!
# Change of Registration
# Parked Page
# Domain Locking
# Status Alerts
# New! Forwarding / Masking
# New! "For Sale" Page
# New! Total DNS Control
# New! 100 Email Forwards

Sounds like the way to go. Time for me to reserve that family website
name and get going!

Brian Rodenborn

Whitecrest

While we are paying $35 a year for a Domain Name, I don't
consider redirecting to another directory exactly as cheating.

Well thats the problem. You think there are times when it is ok to
cheat. This is a morals issue, not a html issue.

Whitecrest

add this script into your header;
if (self.location != top.location) {
top.location = self.location;
}
</script>

I'll take this one boys....

That won't work for everyone you know...

SpaceGirl

Whitecrest said:
I'll take this one boys....

That won't work for everyone you know...

Nope, but it's the only way to break out of a frameset that I know... But
generally, it works (and wont throw an error if it doesn't work). I tend to
add it into our sites as a matter of course - prevents other people
"embedding" pages from our sites inside framesets on their own sites.

miranda

SpaceGirl

SpaceGirl said:
Nope, but it's the only way to break out of a frameset that I know... But
generally, it works (and wont throw an error if it doesn't work). I tend to
add it into our sites as a matter of course - prevents other people
"embedding" pages from our sites inside framesets on their own sites.

miranda

(Also, at least I was answering the poor guys question. Everyone in here
seems way to eager tripping over their own arrogance to actually answer any
questions at all. You mean lot!).

Whitecrest

(Also, at least I was answering the poor guys question. Everyone in here
seems way to eager tripping over their own arrogance to actually answer any
questions at all. You mean lot!)

Come on, smile, you'll live longer.

SpaceGirl said:
(Also, at least I was answering the poor guys question. Everyone in here
seems way to eager tripping over their own arrogance to actually answer any
questions at all. You mean lot!).

Well, I think the answer to, "I'm getting a raw deal," is not to cheat
on the deal, it's to legally get out of the deal. You do that in this
case by moving to another registrar that doesn't charge for redirection.

Brian Rodenborn