Commercial use of express edition of VWD possible?

sumana_m

I have downloaded the freely available express edition of Visual Web
Developer. If I develop an application using this, will I be able to
market my product for commercial purposes without having any license
problem??
Any information on this will be helpful

ASMJ

could you pl provide any link on the web where it officailly says so? I
just want to be sure that since it is a freeware, license should not be
an issue when being deployed and used at client sites

Juan T. Llibre

The best thing for you to do is read VWD's EULA (End User Licensing Agreement).
Search for it under your VWD installation directory.

It will have all the info you need.
Remember that anything that the EULA doesn't specifically forbid is OK.

could you pl provide any link on the web where it officailly says so? I
just want to be sure that since it is a freeware, license should not be
an issue when being deployed and used at client sites

Alan Silver

ASMJ said:
could you pl provide any link on the web where it officailly says so? I
just want to be sure that since it is a freeware, license should not be
an issue when being deployed and used at client sites

VWD is only free as an incentive to get you to buy it. The version you
donwload will expire next March (I think), at which point you will
either have to buy it (or VS), or move to another development method.

Alan Silver

Oh, thanks for pointing that out. When I installed it, it was limited to
one year. Didn't know they'd changed their minds on that. Nice change
for MS to give something that good away for free.

Ta ra

Juan T. Llibre said:
re:
VWD is only free as an incentive to get you to buy it.

Wrong. It's free forever.

See:
http://blogs.msdn.com/danielfe/archive/2006/04/19/579109.aspx

re:
The version you donwload will expire next March (I think)

Wrong. It doesn't have an expiration date.

Juan T. Llibre

You will need to download the "fully free" version, and install that, though.
The version you downloaded/installed won't run forever for free.

[QUOTE="Juan T. Llibre said:
VWD is only free as an incentive to get you to buy it.

Wrong. It's free forever.

See:
http://blogs.msdn.com/danielfe/archive/2006/04/19/579109.aspx
re:
The version you donwload will expire next March (I think)

Wrong. It doesn't have an expiration date.

Alan Silver said:
writes
could you pl provide any link on the web where it officailly says so? I
just want to be sure that since it is a freeware, license should not be
an issue when being deployed and used at client sites

VWD is only free as an incentive to get you to buy it. The version you donwload will expire next
March (I think), at which point you will either have to buy it (or VS), or move to another
development method.

Short answer : yes.

Juan T. Llibre said:
You will need to download the "fully free" version, and install that, though.
The version you downloaded/installed won't run forever for free.

Thanks for the heads-up. As it happens, I've just got a copy of VS2005
Professional (on its way home from the US with my father), so for me
it's an academic question, but this will probably be of use to others
who installed it early.

Thanks again for the info.

ASMJ

I have 2 more questions on this

1. Can we install VWD express edition along with .net framework 2.0,
sdk, sqlserver express edition and IIS on Windows XP home? If no, how
can I upgrade it to XP? also will it have any affect on web application
development?
2. Can we develop mobile web applications in the express edition of VWD
(since it provides an option of adding a mobile web page in a website)

It will be very useful if you could provide answers for this

Thanks
ASMJ

Juan T. Llibre

re:
1. Can we install VWD express edition along with .net framework 2.0,
sdk, sqlserver express edition and IIS on Windows XP home?

In that scenario, your basic problem is that XP Home can't run IIS.
You need, at least, XP Pro.

re:
2. Can we develop mobile web applications in the express edition of VWD
(since it provides an option of adding a mobile web page in a website)

Yes.

I have 2 more questions on this

1. Can we install VWD express edition along with .net framework 2.0,
sdk, sqlserver express edition and IIS on Windows XP home? If no, how
can I upgrade it to XP? also will it have any affect on web application
development?

2. Can we develop mobile web applications in the express edition of VWD
(since it provides an option of adding a mobile web page in a website)

It will be very useful if you could provide answers for this

Thanks
ASMJ

ASMJ

Thanks for the info!

I have a few more questions:
1. Will all the features available in the express edition be available
in Visual STudio 2005 if ever I need to migrate the application later?
Would it cost me?

2. My application will be used by both a mobile device and the
desktop. While developing the application should I consider any h/w or
s/w requirements like using windows CE or would using Windows XP
suffice?

3. In visual web developer, can I design a web site with a few web
pages and a few mobile web pages? This is because the desktop users
will access few web pages and the mobile device users will access other
web pages. Also, the common information in all the web pages of the
appln will be fetched from a database.

4. If the appln can be developed as above, for the purpose of testing,
can we wirelessly access the web site from one computer, when the web
site is present in a local IIS server in another computer?

5. Is there a difference between smart device and a mobile device?
should we handle this when we are coding the mobile web page?

6. What would the response time be, if the mobile device has to access
the database in the application? are there any methods to speed up the
same to give quick responses to the users?
Can we load the database on our mobile device with a facility of
synchronizing data periodically?

7. After the application has been developed, when a customer wants to
use it, what should be install? Does he require to install the .NET
framework?? I have not clue regarding this.

8. What kind of authentication should be used with such an application?

9. I am new to .NET and web application development. Also I have no
idea of mobile appln development. In such a case, do you suggest using
the latest version of .NET or do you suggest using an earlier version,
assuming more help is available in the earlier versions.

10. Could you suggest some good books in VWD and Mobile appln dev in
..NET which does help in developing such a project where both desktop
and mobile devices should be used and interact actively with the
database using VWD?

Could you pl help me out in this too? This will give me some idea on
how to start my project

Thanks
ASMJ