    problem??
    Any information on this will be helpful
    , Jun 13, 2006

  2. Short answer : yes.

    Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
    asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
    ===================================

    Juan T. Llibre, Jun 13, 2006

  3. ASMJ Guest

    could you pl provide any link on the web where it officailly says so? I
    just want to be sure that since it is a freeware, license should not be
    an issue when being deployed and used at client sites

    ASMJ, Jun 13, 2006
  4. The best thing for you to do is read VWD's EULA (End User Licensing Agreement).
    Search for it under your VWD installation directory.

    It will have all the info you need.
    Remember that anything that the EULA doesn't specifically forbid is OK.

    Juan T. Llibre, Jun 13, 2006
  5. Alan Silver Guest

    In article <>, ASMJ
    <> writes
    >could you pl provide any link on the web where it officailly says so? I
    >just want to be sure that since it is a freeware, license should not be
    >an issue when being deployed and used at client sites

    VWD is only free as an incentive to get you to buy it. The version you
    donwload will expire next March (I think), at which point you will
    either have to buy it (or VS), or move to another development method.

    --
    Alan Silver
    Alan Silver, Jun 19, 2006
  6. re:
    > VWD is only free as an incentive to get you to buy it.

    Wrong. It's free forever.

    See:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/danielfe/archive/2006/04/19/579109.aspx

    re:
    > The version you donwload will expire next March (I think)

    Wrong. It doesn't have an expiration date.

    Juan T. Llibre, Jun 19, 2006
  7. Alan Silver Guest

    Oh, thanks for pointing that out. When I installed it, it was limited to
    one year. Didn't know they'd changed their minds on that. Nice change
    for MS to give something that good away for free.

    Ta ra

    In article <uoGBt$>, Juan T. Llibre
    <> writes

    --
    Alan Silver
    Alan Silver, Jun 19, 2006
  8. You will need to download the "fully free" version, and install that, though.
    The version you downloaded/installed won't run forever for free.

    Juan T. Llibre, Jun 19, 2006
  9. Alan Silver Guest

    In article <#>, Juan T. Llibre
    <> writes
    >You will need to download the "fully free" version, and install that, though.
    >The version you downloaded/installed won't run forever for free.

    Thanks for the heads-up. As it happens, I've just got a copy of VS2005
    Professional (on its way home from the US with my father), so for me
    it's an academic question, but this will probably be of use to others
    who installed it early.

    Thanks again for the info.

    Alan Silver, Jun 19, 2006
  10. ASMJ Guest

    I have 2 more questions on this

    1. Can we install VWD express edition along with .net framework 2.0,
    sdk, sqlserver express edition and IIS on Windows XP home? If no, how
    can I upgrade it to XP? also will it have any affect on web application
    development?
    2. Can we develop mobile web applications in the express edition of VWD
    (since it provides an option of adding a mobile web page in a website)

    It will be very useful if you could provide answers for this

    Thanks
    ASMJ

    ASMJ, Jun 20, 2006
  11. re:
    1. Can we install VWD express edition along with .net framework 2.0,
    sdk, sqlserver express edition and IIS on Windows XP home?

    In that scenario, your basic problem is that XP Home can't run IIS.
    You need, at least, XP Pro.

    re:

    Juan T. Llibre, Jun 20, 2006
  12. ASMJ Guest

    Thanks for the info!

    I have a few more questions:
    1. Will all the features available in the express edition be available
    in Visual STudio 2005 if ever I need to migrate the application later?
    Would it cost me?

    2. My application will be used by both a mobile device and the
    desktop. While developing the application should I consider any h/w or
    s/w requirements like using windows CE or would using Windows XP
    suffice?

    3. In visual web developer, can I design a web site with a few web
    pages and a few mobile web pages? This is because the desktop users
    will access few web pages and the mobile device users will access other
    web pages. Also, the common information in all the web pages of the
    appln will be fetched from a database.

    4. If the appln can be developed as above, for the purpose of testing,
    can we wirelessly access the web site from one computer, when the web
    site is present in a local IIS server in another computer?

    5. Is there a difference between smart device and a mobile device?
    should we handle this when we are coding the mobile web page?

    6. What would the response time be, if the mobile device has to access
    the database in the application? are there any methods to speed up the
    same to give quick responses to the users?
    Can we load the database on our mobile device with a facility of
    synchronizing data periodically?

    7. After the application has been developed, when a customer wants to
    use it, what should be install? Does he require to install the .NET
    framework?? I have not clue regarding this.

    8. What kind of authentication should be used with such an application?

    9. I am new to .NET and web application development. Also I have no
    idea of mobile appln development. In such a case, do you suggest using
    the latest version of .NET or do you suggest using an earlier version,
    assuming more help is available in the earlier versions.

    10. Could you suggest some good books in VWD and Mobile appln dev in
    ..NET which does help in developing such a project where both desktop
    and mobile devices should be used and interact actively with the
    database using VWD?

    Could you pl help me out in this too? This will give me some idea on
    how to start my project

    Thanks
    ASMJ

    ASMJ, Jun 20, 2006